Post Incident Analysis - How Complex Systems Fail

How Complex Systems Fail.

Five pages, 18 points.

7 "root cause"fundamentally wrong.

8 Power of hindsight bias makes analysis flawed.

9 Inherent conflict between “getting it done” and “safety first”

11 Ambiguity resolved at the “sharp end”

Worth a look.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it!!

Good read, I think I may print that out to bring back to work with me. I know at least one or two guys on the boat that would get something out of that.

I got a lot out of that. I should have known most of it using common sense but I have been brain washed in to thinking a root cause exists and is cut and dry. Thanks for posting!

[QUOTE=Tom B;147119]I got a lot out of that. I should have known most of it using common sense but I have been brain washed in to thinking a root cause exists and is cut and dry. Thanks for posting![/QUOTE]

Same here, I’ve always felt uneasy about the idea of naming a single root cause but I could never really put my finger on why.

I think many if these systems are there just ensure that the outcome of report doesnt say it was the blind leading the blind.
Ever read a report that says the people where just not intelligent enough to run that process?
Looking at who the oil majors are pushing offshore these days, once the old timers retire there is going to be lots of people in charge that are just not capable of making a decision.

• Updated - - -

I think many if these systems are there just ensure that the outcome of report doesnt say it was the blind leading the blind.
Ever read a report that says the people where just not intelligent enough to run that process?
Looking at who the oil majors are pushing offshore these days, once the old timers retire there is going to be lots of people in charge that are just not capable of making a decision.