Hard to believe it has been five years already

did anything really truly change?

[B]Five years after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, we are closer than ever to catastrophe[/B]

András Tilcsik and Chris Clearfield

Friday 17 April 2015 04.53 EDT

Important changes have been made since 2010, but the oil and gas industry has not learned from the historic oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico

In the five years since the Deepwater Horizon accident, the oil and gas industry has not retreated to safety. Instead, it has expanded its technological horizon in ways that make it harder to foresee the complex interactions between drilling technologies, inevitable human errors and the ultra-deepwater environment.

Before its sinking, Deepwater Horizon had drilled one of the deepest oil and gas wells. That depth has since been surpassed, and exploration continues to new frontiers. Not far from the Deepwater Horizon accident site, Royal Dutch Shell is now developing the deepest offshore oil field in history. In the Caspian Sea, an international consortium is exploring the Kashagan oil and gas field, a mega-project that the consortium itself describes as an enormously challenging endeavour. And the hunt for Arctic oil takes place in some of the most inhospitable waters in the world.

Numerous analyses of the Deepwater Horizon accident have pointed to three contributing causes: the complexity and inherent riskiness of oil drilling systems, human and organisational factors and regulatory challenges. In the past half-decade, we have made little progress in these areas. Indeed, the risk of another catastrophic spill may be greater than ever before.

Offshore drilling is a complex system prone to technological failures that are difficult to predict and challenging to comprehend in real-time. Drilling operations have limited slack to absorb errors; the failure of one part of the system can spread quickly to other parts, and operators cannot simply “turn off the well” while they look for a solution. Unfortunately, major accidents are nearly inevitable in these kinds of systems, as decades of research by Yale sociologist Charles Perrow has shown.

Human and organizational factors compound these challenges. A well-documented and particularly pernicious tendency of human decision-makers is to interpret evidence in a way that supports their pre-existing conclusions.

This was one of many factors in the Deepwater Horizon accident, as operators misinterpreted the results of critical safety tests on the night of the accident. They saw what they expected – and wanted – to see. Additionally, under the false assumption that well cementing had gone smoothly, the BP team decided to skip a cement evaluation test earlier in the day, thus saving $128,000 (£86,000) in contractor fees and potentially shortening the lease period of the costly rig. These mistakes, of course, did not occur in a vacuum. They occurred in a culture that focused on minimizing costs and preventing occupational injuries at the expense of an emphasis on preventing catastrophe.

Though engineering fixes have since been implemented (and additional rules recently proposed) to solve some of the specific problems that Deepwater Horizon experienced, cultural and organizational root causes have received less attention in the industry. This is a pattern we see all too often in the wake of catastrophic events. An engineering solution is quickly developed to treat the technological symptoms, but the organization managing the dangerous technology changes little. Then, as time passes, the initial post-disaster period of caution gradually gives way to increasingly bullish overconfidence – until the next disaster strikes.

On the regulatory front, important changes have occurred since 2010, but the pace of change is slow. The Minerals Management Service has been separated into distinct agencies, reducing conflicts of interest that came from combining revenue generation and regulatory oversight. Its regulatory successor, the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE), has begun to make important changes, such as requiring more comprehensive approaches to drilling safety. But the agency still leans heavily on inspections and prescriptive regulations. Studies of the offshore drilling industry reveal that more effective inspection regimes do not necessarily reduce the likelihood of incidents. This is partly because inspections become rote procedures, with little effect on systemic safety. Safety requires a collaborative culture of information sharing, but research shows that punitive measures hinder the development of such a culture by discouraging the reporting problems for fear of punishment.

To promote information sharing, the BSEE has announced the creation of a confidential industry-wide system to track near misses. The insights afforded by such a system could lead to tangible regulatory changes that improve industry safety. But the system is not yet operational, having missed the intended implementation date by six months (and counting).

Recent incidents and near-misses paint a dark picture. In November 2012 there was a deadly explosion and fire on an oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico. A few weeks later, Shell’s drilling rig Kulluk ran aground on the Alaskan coast due to what the US Coast Guard described as “inadequate assessment and management of risks”. In July 2013 a drilling rig partially collapsed because of a ruptured natural gas well off the Louisiana coast.

We are now five years on from the last catastrophe. Without fundamental organizational and regulatory changes in the oil and gas industry, each day brings us closer to the next one.

[QUOTE=c.captain;159959]did anything really truly change?[/QUOTE]

C.Cap, what did we tell you about posting in our GoM/Offshore thread? If you dont have anything nice to say and only want to start $hit then go do it in the PNW and Alaska threads…

Here I’ll save everyone the time and trouble…

1. If all the rigs were crewed by smart people from the PNW or NE this never would have happened. No lessons learned because all of the stoopid people from TX, LA, MIss, AL, FLA don’t know any better.

2. If everyone had Union representation none of this ever would have happened.

3. The BSEE needs to hire c.scooter as he is the only one with all the answers.

4. For that matter the entire index of oilfield companies should have a seat for him on their BoD’s.

such comedians here today…

how’s about someone trying to answer the question I asked?

anyone?

That’s pretty funny and I live and work in the PNW…!

Since no one else is willing to step up to the plate to take a swing, I’ll do it by saying that the article is painfully accurate that the culture which lead to DWH exploding like it did has not changed one bit. The same neanderthal cretins without educations still in charge sitting at the switch in their offices on the rig with Fox News playing on the TV on the bulkhead and spit bottle filled to capacity on their desk.

DWH was a seminal moment when the entire way drilling operations were conducted could have been fundamentally changed for the better and safer, but the IADC and its member companies patently refused to change a single thing other than to throw a fresh coat of paint on a rotten old system. Good old boys will always be good old boys and shareholders are blind. Had DWH been proven to be entirely TO’s fault, and BP sued TO out of existence you know there would have been a revolt by investors to never let it happen again. When nothing else talks, money sure as HELL does!

Your honor I have nothing further for this witness. May I request a long recess as I’m out of skoal and my spit bottle is perilously full? Better yet I seek dismissal of this entire frivolous case before Shepherd Smith comes on.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;159982]Your honor I have nothing further for this witness. May I request a long recess as I’m out of skoal and my spit bottle is perilously full? Better yet I seek dismissal of this entire frivolous case before Shepherd Smith comes on.[/QUOTE]

The Deepwater Horizon blew up due many factors, but particularly for me it pointed to the failure of the highly acclaimed “Stop the Job” authority which in practice does not work except on lower level tasks, when you get into serious money things change. Read the report, they knew something was wrong with the job plan, things were really wrong and it was discussed in pre-tower, later they got BS information about some fictional “bladder effect” from the experts in charge when they saw pressure rising and did not understand it but they, OIM, drilling guys etc., did not “Stop the Job”. I’ll leave it everyone to draw their own conclusions about why they did not do so.But people died because they did not. The entire “Stop the Job” policy simply lays the blame on the lowest person on the totem pole. To this day Transocean has refused any responsibility and BP blames everyone else. Read the reports from the investigation.

[QUOTE=c.captain;159980]Since no one else is willing to step up to the plate to take a swing, I’ll do it by saying that the article is painfully accurate that the culture which lead to DWH exploding like it did has not changed one bit. The same neanderthal cretins without educations still in charge sitting at the switch in their offices on the rig with Fox News playing on the TV on the bulkhead and spit bottle filled to capacity on their desk[/QUOTE]

You are way the hell outta line with that comment. I don’t care what TV they watched or what they spit those guys knew things weren’t right and were nervous as hell. Who knows why they didn’t shut things down? Maybe they had jumped the shark a few times and got away with it, maybe they figured this was just another one of those times? But everything they did was condoned or instructed by the people that paid them so perhaps they thought their jobs were on the line? I am sure they would do things different if they had the chance. Maybe they would decide the next pay check wasn’t that important. Who knows?
Someone said to me years ago. I’d never hire a toolpusher without knowing he had a hundred grand in the bank. I asked him why and he said a toolpusher sooner or later is going to be asked to do some stupid shit that might kill him or might make him a hero. I don’t want no hero. If that boy has got enough money in the bank he ain’t got to make that decision.

I am very familiar with the whole thing. I cannot argue with anything you just wrote. When c.scooter starts these threads it always comes down to the above mentioned points. It gets really old after a while and nothing constructive comes from it. Anything oilfield related is his starting point to go in a rant of how stoopid we all are down here. Truth is if this entire incident had taken place in Puget Sound with nothing but college educated people with local knowledge etc. On a rig with himself as lord and commander it still probably would have happened the same way. I also believe that as an industry there were plenty of lessons learned and now more policies are in place to prevent it. I’ve noticed a different mindset from the customer shoreside reps, to the boats and out to the rigs. Is it perfect? no it’s not but it’s definitely better than it was.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;159989]The Deepwater Horizon blew up due many factors, but particularly for me it pointed to the failure of the highly acclaimed “Stop the Job” authority which in practice does not work except on lower level tasks, when you get into serious money things change. Read the report, they knew something was wrong with the job plan, things were really wrong and it was discussed in pre-tower, later they got BS information about some fictional “bladder effect” from the experts in charge when they saw pressure rising and did not understand it but they, OIM, drilling guys etc., did not “Stop the Job”. I’ll leave it everyone to draw their own conclusions about why they did not do so.But people died because they did not. The entire “Stop the Job” policy simply lays the blame on the lowest person on the totem pole. To this day Transocean has refused any responsibility and BP blames everyone else. Read the reports from the investigation.[/QUOTE]

I hold that it was TO’s people in the driller’s cabin which ultimately allowed the well to blowout…they had warning and could have secured the well before it was too late to. They did not need a night company man to tell them it was ok to do it but sat on their thumbs doing nothing other than watching the downhole pressures skyrocket as the bubble roared to the surface. Of course, all those same people were blown to bits or charred to cinders and as they say, deadmen tell no tales. That is why I believe driller’s cabin conversation and all downhole data needs to be recorded to an explosion proof VDR just like on a bridge.

I would just love to know what was being said in that driller’s cabin for those few seconds from the moment the well went out of control to the explosion? Did they try to activate the EDS and AVS or sit there dumbfounded? Such a pity there was no recording…

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;159991]I am very familiar with the whole thing. I cannot argue with anything you just wrote. When c.scooter starts these threads it always comes down to the above mentioned points. It gets really old after a while and nothing constructive comes from it. Anything oilfield related is his starting point to go in a rant of how stoopid we all are down here. [/QUOTE]

you are being evasive…answer my question please. Has anything changed?

Your honor I request that a full listing of this “expert” witness bonafides be entered into the record. After obtaining his degree in Nautical science and marine transportation what other degrees did he obtain? Does he have any engineering, petrochemical or geology degrees? If being a mate/DPO at a small OSV company makes one an expert witness I would like to add some of my own to the witness list. This witness has often indicated that DPO’s are far from the most knowledgeable people onboard a rig. How then could a former senior DPO proclaim to be an expert witness? This witness has also stated numerous times the marine crew onboard are not consulted or considered critical to the operation. How does a former drillship “master” proclaim to be an expert witness? Your honor I would also like to have the time to investigate this witnesses internet patterns. I would like to cross check his dates as being in these highly responsible positions and the time and date stamps of his nonstop postings to the world renown gcaptain forums. How could an expert spend so much time running a drilling operation and posting silly memes and YouTube clips? I would also like to hear how the witness who hasn’t been a drillship “master” in 3 years knows what has or hasn’t gotten any better. Your honor I believe he is wasting this courts valuable time with his incessant hostile and inflammatory postings. I again implore you to dismiss this thread with extreme prejudice and have all of his postings heretofore stricken from the record. If we adjourn soon we can be home in time to catch Cavuto.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;159990]You are way the hell outta line with that comment. [/QUOTE]

BULLSHIT! It is a mentality of the senior managers on rigs to sit on their asses in offices aboard. I have seen it all too frequently. They leave the operations on the rigfloor to the driller and assistant driller who may be all of 26 years old. Ok, there was a toolpusher present there but he was only 35. Certainly someone should have had the sense to activate the EDS? I don’t believe any of the investigation afterward found any evidence that they even tried and after the explosion destroyed the MUX cables there was no way to disconnect.

[QUOTE=c.captain;159998]BULLSHIT! It is a mentality of the senior managers on rigs to sit on their asses in offices aboard. I have seen it all too frequently. They leave the operations on the rigfloor to the driller and assistant driller who may be all of 26 years old. I am trying to go through the old articles on the accident to see if even a toolpusher was there?[/QUOTE]

I thought the toolpusher or assistant toolpusher was one of the guys who died?

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;159996]I again implore you to dismiss this thread with extreme prejudice and have all of his postings heretofore stricken from the record. If we adjourn soon we can be home in time to catch Cavuto.[/QUOTE]

your honor, the witness is clearly hostile and obviously refuses to answer the question. The prosecution asks that he be warned of the penalties for obstruction and contempt?

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=catherder;159999]I thought the toolpusher or assistant toolpusher was one of the guys who died?[/QUOTE]

I corrected my post when I discovered that

as Judge, I say that you have been found guilty of being Sargent Stedenko

Reporter: Do you expect to see any violence here today? Sgt. Stedenko: I certainly hope so.

//youtu.be/S9MjWBInGZ0

now back to the thread after it’s wreck has been righted and back on its tracks…

has anything really truly changed in the world of drilling in the GoM? I mean genuine fundamental change to eliminate the root causes of DWH or as the article states, are we headed for it all over again?

can we make this a serious discussion for once or will you force me back to the silly memes and youtube clips yet again? trust me when I say that I do not want to go there

I’ll elaborate

1. If all the rigs were crewed by smart people from the PNW or NE this never would have happened. No lessons learned because all of the stoopid people from TX, LA, MIss, AL, FLA don’t know any better.

everyone from roustabout upward should hold the equivalent of an MMD. Roustabout = OS & Floorhand = AB, Assistant Driller should hold a license equivalent to a 3rd mate, Driller = 2nd mate, Toolpusher = chief mate, OIM = Master (yes, this one is in place now) Everyone needs formal training courses equivalent to STCW courses preferably real schools and not the industry diploma factories that exist today.

1. If everyone had Union representation none of this ever would have happened.

different argument

1. The BSEE needs to hire c.captain as he is the only one with all the answers.

I would serve them and the nation well…but Joe Boss would hate me

1. For that matter the entire index of oilfield companies should have a seat for him on their BoD’s.

wouldn’t be such a terrible idea but my head even isn’t that big