Hard to believe it has been five years already

Scooter, you should plead the 5th and get out before someone insults you.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;159996]Your honor I request that a full listing of this “expert” witness bonafides be entered into the record. After obtaining his degree in Nautical science and marine transportation what other degrees did he obtain? Does he have any engineering, petrochemical or geology degrees? If being a mate/DPO at a small OSV company makes one an expert witness I would like to add some of my own to the witness list. This witness has often indicated that DPO’s are far from the most knowledgeable people onboard a rig. How then could a former senior DPO proclaim to be an expert witness? This witness has also stated numerous times the marine crew onboard are not consulted or considered critical to the operation. How does a former drillship “master” proclaim to be an expert witness? Your honor I would also like to have the time to investigate this witnesses internet patterns. I would like to cross check his dates as being in these highly responsible positions and the time and date stamps of his nonstop postings to the world renown gcaptain forums. How could an expert spend so much time running a drilling operation and posting silly memes and YouTube clips? I would also like to hear how the witness who hasn’t been a drillship “master” in 3 years knows what has or hasn’t gotten any better. Your honor I believe he is wasting this courts valuable time with his incessant hostile and inflammatory postings. I again implore you to dismiss this thread with extreme prejudice and have all of his postings heretofore stricken from the record. If we adjourn soon we can be home in time to catch Cavuto.[/QUOTE]

Jeez, give it a rest! I am watching from the sides here, just a youngster trying to stay in tune with what’s up…your posts have become what you are complaining against, except far less entertaining/informative

Did we agree?
Same people with same skills doing the same job for the same people monitored by the same people means nothing changed?
Drilling can still do what it wants with it self regulating body?

There is nothing up other than c.scooter attempting to heap shit upon our heads. What argument of his in recent memory hasn’t turned into Joe Boss blah blah blah? It all starts out nice then he makes an incendiary comment that he knows will draw heated response. Then wham he gets his argument and starts denigrating a whole segment of the marine industry. He was run off at Noble 3 years ago and his ego hasn’t recovered. Hence his reasons for hating everything oilfield related. As someone who has spent 6-8 months a year for the last 20 years in the oilfield I can tell you that yes I think things have gotten better. He doesn’t give a shit wether it has or not he’s looking for an argument and that’s it. Are things all rainbows and unicorns probably not. I can tell you a year long safety stand down during the permatorium allowed enough time for everyone to take a long look in the mirror. As for c.scooter there is no defending him he’s rooting for all of us to get laid off or take 50% paycuts. He’s an asshole laughing as people I know get laid off or take big paycuts. People struggling to pay their mortgage and feed their families. There is nothing he’s posted in the last 4 months that leads me to feel otherwise.

BULLSHIT! You sit on boat…go to a rig and report back here what you find

BUSINESS AS USUAL IS THE ANSWER

You’re right scooter you’re always right I apologize. You’re the only person with all the answers, a man of integrity in a sea of scoundrels. Yes business as usual, I will meekly back away now bowing and scraping at your all knowing omnipotence. Only you can sit in Washington state and have your finger all over the pulse of the oilfield.

Hahahaha!!! Too hilarious.

[QUOTE=c.captain;160048]BULLSHIT! You sit on boat…go to a rig and report back here what you find

BUSINESS AS USUAL IS THE ANSWER[/QUOTE]

True, just a few more forms to fill out. Reported accidents are up by the way. Of course the really important stuff such as boneheaded drilling decisions, delayed maintenance often aren’t reported or are covered up. Rigs don’t blow out due to some fool pinching his finger or falling off a ladder.

CC has no concept that an argument should never outweigh it purpose

[QUOTE=CapChitown;160077]CC has no concept that an argument should never outweigh it purpose[/QUOTE]

I see CapClown is back to just be another to attack me personally when they can’t prove my statements wrong. To those of us who remember vinyl records we could say this one has a bad scratch on it and the needle is stuck.

Answer my question, prove me wrong with reasoned argument and you might prevail but you have got to try to even be able to win otherwise all you can do is lose!

I urge everyone that thinks they know about the DWH to read the testimony given to the many different investigators. All this is available on the internet.
The question has been raised about why they did not disconnect and the need for rig workers to be licensed. The OIM was USCG licensed and said not to disconnect when the subsea guy wanted to, of course it was too late by then anyway but it begs the question why didn’t the OIM disconnect prior to the subsea guy showing up?
There were problems all day and these problems were pointed out to the management both on the rig and shoreside but they painted themselves into a corner that resulted in death and the biggest environmental disaster in recent history in the USA.
The thing that bothers me most is there is real time data available on shore during well operations but nobody looks at it but the people who just want to save money or make their career. Would you send your family off on an airline that did not provide real time data to the FAA? Would you be willing to let the airline just police itself?
I am no fan of the FAA, I feel they are guilty of regulatory capture as much as the USCG and BSEE but it would be a start.
Here’s an article that puts things into perspective.

" Though engineering fixes have since been implemented (and additional rules recently proposed) to solve some of the specific problems that Deepwater Horizon experienced, cultural and organisational root causes have received less attention in the industry. This is a pattern we see all too often in the wake of catastrophic events. An engineering solution is quickly developed to treat the technological symptoms, but the organisation managing the dangerous technology changes little. Then, as time passes, the initial post-disaster period of caution gradually gives way to increasingly bullish overconfidence – until the next disaster strikes."
cheers

[QUOTE=tengineer1;160082]I urge everyone that thinks they know about the DWH to read the testimony given to the many different investigators. All this is available on the internet.
The question has been raised about why they did not disconnect and the need for rig workers to be licensed. The OIM was USCG licensed and said not to disconnect when the subsea guy wanted to, of course it was too late by then anyway but it begs the question why didn’t the OIM disconnect prior to the subsea guy showing up?
There were problems all day and these problems were pointed out to the management both on the rig and shoreside but they painted themselves into a corner that resulted in death and the biggest environmental disaster in recent history in the USA.

d)[/QUOTE]
There is a tendency to focus on the last possible moment when an incident could be prevented. People under stress don’t always make the right move and a good system would not depend on a single person under time constraints doing the right thing.

Here is another point that could have been handled differently but is under a different kind of time restraint.

On April 17, 2010, BP’s Houston-based “Wells Team Leader” for the Macondo well, John Guide, e-mailed David Sims, another Houston-based BP executive and Guide’s boss:

• David, over the past four days there has been so many last minute changes to the operation that the WSL’s [BP’s rig-based Well Site Leaders] have finally come to their wits end. The quote is ‘flying by the seat of our pants.’ Moreover, we have made a special boat or helicopter run every day. Everybody wants to do the right thing, but, this huge level of paranoia from engineering leadership is driving chaos. This operation is not Thunderhorse. Brian [BP’s Brian Morel, a Houston-based engineer] has called me numerous times trying to make sense of all the insanity. Last night’s emergency evolved around the 30 [barrels] of cement spacer behind the top plug and how it would affect any bond logging (I do not agree with putting the spacer above the plug to begin with). This morning Brian called me and asked my advice about exploring opportunities both inside and outside of the company. What is my authority? With the separation of engineering and operations, I do not know what I can and can’t do. The operation is not going to succeed if we continue in this manner. (end)

The same day, David Sims responded to Guide’s e-mail.

• John, I’ve got to go to dance practice in a few minutes. Let’s talk this afternoon. . . . We’ve both [been] in Brian’s position before. The same goes for him. We need to remind him that this is a great learning opportunity, it will be over soon, and that the same issues - or worse - exist anywhere else . . . I’ll be back soon and we can talk. We’re dancing to the Village People. (end)

Look at the words used to describe the operation; last minute changes, insanity, chaos, paranoia, emergency, at wits end, flying by the seat of our pants.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;160082]I urge everyone that thinks they know about the DWH to read the testimony given to the many different investigators. [/QUOTE]

I thank you with much gratitude for stating a position clearly, logically which is unassailable

[QUOTE=c.captain;160087]I thank you with much gratitude for stating a position clearly, logically which is unassailable[/QUOTE]

You are welcome C. Captain. If we all just stick to the facts the conclusions will draw themselves.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;160089]You are welcome C. Captain. If we all just stick to the facts the conclusions will draw themselves.[/QUOTE]
The conclusion is its an industry run by cowboys for cowboys.
You only need to have worked elsewhere to work that out.
If you were born and bred into it then thats all you know.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;160086]There is a tendency to focus on the last possible moment when an incident could be prevented. People under stress don’t always make the right move and a good system would not depend on a single person under time constraints doing the right thing.

Here is another point that could have been handled differently but is under a different kind of time restraint.

Look at the words used to describe the operation; last minute changes, insanity, chaos, paranoia, emergency, at wits end, flying by the seat of our pants.[/QUOTE]

Why? How did things get to that point? That is an easily answered question. Any criminal investigator will tell you that if it is not a crime of passion all you have to do is follow the money and find out who gains or loses. The DWH is no different than any other crime. But with the DWH no one went to jail though certainly the companies were found guilty. Apparently killing people on an oil rig to save a little time or through negligence and incompetence is not murder it is just business.They paid off the families and individuals and moved on to the bigger things like worrying about the fine for spewing out oil, like how many barrels? However they used some souped up concoction of Joy dish-washing detergent to sink the crap with the approval of the USCG so no one will ever know. If I used Joy to sink a 10 gallons and got caught at it I’d go to prison.

So the lesson is if your “magic pipe” is big enough and you use it you dont go to prison?
Lol.

Along the lines of killing one person makes you a murder, killing one million people makes you president of the United States.

You guys are en pointe today!

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;160103]Along the lines of killing one person makes you a murder, killing one million people makes you president of the United States.[/QUOTE]

Now THIS is over the line and uncalled for!

Unless you are referring to President Cheney after 2003 during his Iraq “adventure”…