PMI March 2013

Hello all. This is my first post. I just wanted to open this up to anyone in the workboat academy for anything. Whether that be tips or just general conversation. I’ll be attending PMI’S march 2013 class and wanted to get the ball rolling on some communication for our class. Feel free to share any knowledge or information.

See you there!

I guess we have a full class. Should be fun! (Mike)

Well, made it to Seattle. Workboat academy starting tomorrow. Looking forward to it, and meeting my new company.

Nice! I drove in yesterday (from Sacramento). Who are you going to be working with?

I drove down from chico and flew out of sac this morning. How was the drive? I had debated on bringing my car, but left it at my sisters instead. I am fortunate enough to be sailing with Harley Marine services. I’ve heard great things about them and I’m super excited. What about you?

The drive was not too bad. I stayed at a friends house in Ashland and split up the drive, so that made it nicer. I’ll be working for Dunlap Towing up in Everett. If it ever works out that you need a ride back down and I’m heading down as well, feel free to hit me up for a carpool. I’m renting a room from a friend-of-a-friend up on Beacon Hill.

Looking forward to getting this show on the road! See ya in the morning!

Just wondering, what is the approximate age range of the students in the Workboat Academy? Any older guys? Thanks, best of luck!

The age range is completely varied. We have everyone from 19 to 40 in our class. I’d say the mates and captains I’ve sailed with prefer that you have some life experience.

Correction Jake. Oldest in our class is 44. :-). But I hang with you young-ins pretty good…

Haha. Isn’t that the truth. Don’t forget to bring your mtn bike. The I5 colonnade and duthie hill are a couple of places I’m dying to ride.

I’m interested in Workboat Academy at PMI-Seattle. I was wondering if anyone can speak to the acceptance rate for those wishing to attend. Have many qualified applicants been turned away because they can’t find a sponsoring company?

I already have my MMC/TWIC and a solid landlubber work history and references. However, I only have recreational maritime experience (no commercial experience).

[QUOTE=“TxsCaptain;122682”]I’m interested in Workboat Academy at PMI-Seattle. I was wondering if anyone can speak to the acceptance rate for those wishing to attend. Have many qualified applicants been turned away because they can’t find a sponsoring company?

I already have my MMC/TWIC and a solid landlubber work history and references. However, I only have recreational maritime experience (no commercial experience).[/QUOTE]

If you have the money they will not turn you down!

They will do their best to make sure this path is right for you. They only want people who are committed and not looking for a “fun second career”. The other part is that you MUST be accepted by a company as a cadet in order to be admitted into the Workboat Program. You can have all the money in the world, but if nobody wants to sponsor/hire you… You can’t join the program. Comes down to resume, interview skills and maybe some background accolades.

Maritime experience not needed, but helpful when trying to gain the attention of prospective companies. Read my blog about the stress I went though finding a company… Mostly because I joined the program at the last minute.

It all worked out, but it wasn’t all cake and ice cream…