Piney point apprentice program

[QUOTE=Mike23;61359]What OSV companys pay that for entry level jobs ?[/QUOTE]

HOS,Harvey Gulf,Seacor…etc…Check out ECO also, you can see the day rate in careers…

Www.chouest.com

[QUOTE=miami;61361]HOS,Harvey Gulf,Seacor…etc…Check out ECO also, you can see the day rate in careers…[/QUOTE]

Thanks@miami

Do any of these companies have unlimited tonnage vessels? I really need time on unlimited vessels for my 3rd mate unlimited.

I see seacor owns seabulk tankers. Would it be best to show up to there office in person even if they have an online application process, or would they just tell me to apply online?

You have an AB-limited. Why waste your time and money in a program that is designed for people who have never worked in the industry. You will spend a long time making no money, in school and your first training cruise(2nd also?). Don’t know if it has changed; but, 2 out of 6 ABs on unlimited tonnage can be limited. Seabulk tankers is in long term bareboat charter to Chevron. IE, they are Chevron ships which is SUP. IMO, a much better union than SIU (I sailed SIU in the 90s). ConocoPhillips has a standing add for hiring to maintain a pool of qualified mariners. Their in house union has a FB page, Atlantic maritime employees union. ( I would also HIGHLY recommend you get gCaptains FB feed and their email updates, tons of great info of whats going on here!) If you can wait, hold on till Thanksgiving/Christmas, go to Long Beach and sit in SUPs hall. No promises of a job, but that is the best way (and time of year) to get your foot into deep sea ships. Or MSC. Tons of threads on here about the pros and cons of all the above. BTW, going 3rd mate and getting a job isn’t necessarily an easy proposition. If you can get your foot in the door, why not go to work in the oil patch, prove yourself and climb that ladder. Just as good, if not better. Either way, starting out will kinda suck, but if you can’t handle that, look elsewhere. You do have your AB-Lim, so that comment gets written off, yes? Good luck.

I showed up at seacor headquarters in port Everglades this morning, they said Seabulk tankers, a subsidiary of seacor, gets their unlicensed crew from Siu, licensed from amo. I’m applying to non union companies and piney point. Which ever bites first takes the prize.

[QUOTE=mb05j;61486]I showed up at seacor headquarters in port Everglades this morning, they said Seabulk tankers, a subsidiary of seacor, gets their unlicensed crew from Siu, licensed from amo. I’m applying to non union companies and piney point. Which ever bites first takes the prize.[/QUOTE]

did you already submit your app for piney point to be accepted into the school…?

No I haven’t. But I’ll be sending all my application material shotly. Why do you ask.

Because I’m about to submit my app for the school in feb. but I was told that it’s a 14 month to 2 year wait list so I’m trying to see if this wait time is true or is it just something that they tell everybody when they call the main office.

I was told about 6 month wait.

I called Piney Point today, and among other things (like the sea service question) the admissions office told me they “don’t accept people who already have a rating”. The program is for people who aren’t experienced.

I was told the same thing eleven years ago. They are consistent.

LOL wow !!!

[QUOTE=mb05j;61186]Hi,

I’m currently looking into the piney point apprentice program. Has anyone here been through the program, and could tell me what its like, give any advice?

thanks,
mitchell[/QUOTE]

I just got rejected! and dont know why, i have great background an honorable and went through 5 years ago for training for ncl cruisline… can someone help me get in or another better school please… I have nothing left, i need to be and want to be a merchant mariner

Is the B card you get when finishing Piney Point department specific?

You could ship entry in another department- but why work for half pay? besides, there is so much more competition for SA/DEU gigs because they are unrated. the restriction on the school awarded sea time is because the CG will only award a rating ‘after completion of approved program’ or through REC- as to what to do with the hall- think I sent you something on that one

[QUOTE=MariaW;61266]Are you saying that if you work in the engine room you get 1 for 1 towards engine upgrades, plus a certain amount of time towards a deck license? I doubt the converse is true, so someone could argue your time spent in the engine room is more useful all around towards advancement than time spent in the deck department.

In mb05j’s particular case however, I’m not sure the apprentice program will grant him time towards a deck license if he picks engine. The program doesn’t count days of sea time during the training, that’s why you don’t get credit if you have to leave early. I asked this question specifically when I called the apprentice program office. So he will come out still with an AB Limited where he left off plus his new engine qualification. Is the B card you get when finishing Piney Point department specific? Can you graduate in the deck department and get priority for entry level steward jobs with that B card, for example? If it’s department specific then it would be a bad idea to go for engine if you really want deck. I don’t know how the union hall thing works, so sorry if I’m wrong here.[/QUOTE]

The only sea service credit given to the program is for the phases spent training at Piney Point. There is no service credit for the time at sea, it’s just sea time, credited day for day in the department the time was acquired in.

The school itself is pretty good…though it was a little long winded for me, it is pretty through. I went from OS to AB unlimited STCW and life boat in about 2 1/2 months. Your problem may be that you cannot do either with the SIU…the training program is for first time mariners only and the upgrade school is for current SIU members who have , I think, 120 days of sail time on SIU vessels in the previous year, it is completely free Transportation included along with free room and board and meals to members that do qualify. For some quick hitches you may want to look to the lakes also, lots of people jumping of for a month or so for vacation and such. The only problem may be that a inland A card went to a c card in deep water, but deep water cards hold their value when going lake…that was suppose to be getting straightened out years ago, dont know if it ever did though. They promote the school a lot because the more cadets they graduate the more, I beleieve goverment funding, they receieve, to fund the whole shabang.

Your problem may be that you cannot do either with the SIU…the training program is for first time mariners only

tug- 2 members of my class had sea time and rating endorsements but the union required them to return to school to get employed (being they weren’t JE yet) But, as you say, almost all of the students are newbies. thanks for the info on card seniority

right- your B book is only good as you continue to work 125 days a year…after that first gig, you get to line up with your card. like every other schumuck