Pay Cutting - Offshore GOM

Pay cuts ain’t new. I’ve seen several cycles in the marine industry since 1969. The most blatent was the down-turn in the oilfield in early to mid '80s. Manning cuts to rediculous levels, then wage cuts. In the middle of all of this mess came the 333 strike and the Norfolk SIU wildcat strike. Then the mass migration of strike breakers from south to north.

Nobody bargained in good faith, compainies and unions were beaten down. The only winners were the barristers. Many of the strike-breakers were $hitcanned when the 333 strike was settled. I was surprised to see many of them join the unions later on.

The unions can’t garantee stability but it is as close as you’ll get. Not all union contracts are equal. You have to go into negotiations realizing that your competing with non-union companies and weigh ALL wages and benifits. I’ve reaped the benefit of good union contracts by being able to retire early.

Anchorman is right. Welcome to the free market.

[quote=10talents;20791]I remember in the 80’s some Air Traffic Controllers of similar persuasion and one “El Presidente” that called their bluff.
In this financial eniviroment we might be wiser to carry our pride and arrogance in our wallets rather than wear it on our chest.
:cool:[/quote]

Yup, “El Presidente” had bigger stones. Besides, he wasn’t the one threatening or bluffing now was he?

In this financial environment? Seems to me that many of the businesses made extremely poor decisions and WE bailed them out. So now they are going to take advantage of the downturn so they can still turn a profit and stick us with that bill as well?

I’m not the best, I’ve learned from the school of hard knocks that no matter how good you think you are, there is always someone better. I am, however, very good at what I do. I also take those steps necessary to ensure my employability. If you stand still you’ll get run over. I’ve taken classes and am waiting for approval to sit for an exam. The new strain of hawespiper. Figure another 3 months and I’ll have a 1,600 Ton Mate N/C with Towing Endorsement and 5 years of deck experience (until my appeal on the 3rd Mate AGT is concluded).

You wait for opportunities, or you make them yourself, the choice is yours, not “theirs”.

Exactly why I jumped off the boats and found a career ashore - I got tired of making $400d one month, then $200d a year later, then back up to $350d the next year.

After averaging it out over 2 decades it wasn’t that great . .

At least now I can be poor on the beach :-p

[quote=Captain Electron!!;20962]

At least now I can be poor on the beach :-p[/quote]

Plus when you’re on the beach you can smoke all the really fine kolas.

I wish . . :frowning:

I have to agree with skycowboy on this! Mariners’ have worked hard getting the wages where they are now. We all need to work and take care of our families, but we should do so without under cutting what those before us or even ourselves have achieved. I can’t speak for any one else, but I have earned my credentials and as time passes the laws get more stringent to earn those credentials, maintain those credentials. The proposed rule changes, threaten to increase the cost(s) of training requirements. The processing time(s) are longer…Amid all the rising cost(s) to earn and maintain the credential(s) are you willing to sell yourself and every other mariner short by allowing companies to drop the wages?? If so, there is plenty of foreign flag vessel work. Just do the paperwork and your USCG will transfer to an equivalent foreign license. Then use that to sail foreign flag. If you like those conditions, stay on that foreign vessel !! Need more info, call any of the head hunter agencies. They will be glad to assist you, they don’t charge until they place you. The fee will only reduce your 1st yr income by a few wks or so of pay… But since your willing to work for cheap, the agency fee should be no problem.