Pay Cuts

Nope, some guys offshore took a 30-35% cut and they are the ones that make your shore side employment possible. So I don’t think your making them feel any better.

[QUOTE=beekerbetter;165159]Nope, some guys offshore took a 30-35% cut and they are the ones that make your shore side employment possible. So I don’t think your making them feel any better.[/QUOTE]

Working offshore and taking a 30-35% pay cut still equals more money than working shore side with a lessor cut. Ahhh, the old I make it possible for you to have a job argument.

[QUOTE=capitan1962;164763]They can cut you however much they want to.[/QUOTE]

With NO union, they can cut your pay as much as they want. Also, US Merchant Seamen are exempt from Federal over-time rules :mad:

[QUOTE=tengineer1;165111]A fictional character created by a meth addict living in a fantasy land.[/QUOTE]

The actual expression in Atlas Shrugged was: “Where is John Galt ?”

Like anything else, you need to sort the wheat from the chaff. Agree with parts of her libertarian philosophy or not, she was smart, had some important ideas that are still timely and even more important today. She had a strong following that included famous intellectuals. Among her inner circle was a very smart young man who went on to serve as Chairman of the Federal Reserve; his name is Alan Greenspan.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=SaltySailor;165343]With NO union, they can cut your pay as much as they want. Also, US Merchant Seamen are exempt from Federal over-time rules :mad:[/QUOTE]

True. But with a union they can still tie up boats and lay people off, and the wages would be so low in the first place that there would be no need to cut wages.

[QUOTE=Saltine;165164]Working offshore and taking a 30-35% pay cut still equals more money than working shore side with a lessor cut. Ahhh, the old I make it possible for you to have a job argument.[/QUOTE]

You can’t argue with the truth. Want to make more money? Come offshore.

Not sure what book you read but it is “who is John Galt”

[QUOTE=beekerbetter;165388]Not sure what book you read but it is “who is John Galt”[/QUOTE]

Right you are. It’s been so long since I read Ayn Rand.

I respect your acceptance of being incorrect. Now I feel kinda like an ass for the way I  pointed it out. Atlas Shrugged was a profound book for me when I was a kid, now that I understand her motives it has a different meaning. But still a good read.

[ATTACH]4259[/ATTACH]

This was up at the local bar the other night

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;165366]You can’t argue with the truth. Want to make more money? Come offshore.[/QUOTE]

The “truth” you claim is debatable. Without a person purchasing a ship your job is not possible, neither is mine. Never seen a bunch of Mariners make someone money without a boat.

I have worked offshore before, not complaining about making less money and was simply making a point that shoreside folks are feeling the pinch too. I don’t like it anymore than anyone else.

So you just validated my point.

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;165505]So you just validated my point.[/QUOTE]

Guess you didn’t sense my sarcasm.

I’m not here to argue about any of this anyway. It sucks that most of us have been given pay reductions no matter the percentage. The sad reality is most companies were not smart with their profits during the boom so the employees have to suffer. The business model of these OSV companies never seems to change and it’s really good or really bad. I would rather split the difference and it be at a sustainable level at all times. Job security is more important than making more money once every 5-10 years.

[QUOTE=beekerbetter;165159]Nope, some guys offshore took a 30-35% cut and they are the ones that make your shore side employment possible. So I don’t think your making them feel any better.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know Saltine or who he works for but he specified that boat crews AT HIS COMPANY took a 10-15% cut.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Salty Dog;164761]Does anybody know what percentage these OSV companies can cut a mariners pay in the Gulf?[/QUOTE]

My pay was cut 100%, so there you go.