Paper License for $20?

I keep hearing from people that you can get a paper license (for show) printed for $20, from the USCG. However, the only thing I see is the print your own piece of garbage.

Anybody hear anything about this?

Seems expensive for something not worth the paper it’s printed on. Never heard of that though.

The “print your own” facsimile is all the USCG will provide. You don’t pay for it, and it’s “do/print it yourself”. Anyone who’s trying to get you to pay for it is ripping you off. The USCG will only issue the new passport style MMC anymore. No more diploma style documents.

This is true you don’t pay for It just go under homeport.mil and you can print it yourself it’s just something for the folks to hang on the walls at the house.

Yea I’ve known about that for a long time. I was just curious if somebody had heard about this other version - I haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard people talk about it. Guess I’ll have to ask them next time!

[QUOTE=New3M;46585]Yea I’ve known about that for a long time. I was just curious if somebody had heard about this other version - I haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard people talk about it. Guess I’ll have to ask them next time![/QUOTE]

Other “version”? You can always use higher quality paper in your printer and put it into a nice frame.

Other version meaning something that resembles the old licenses - not that piece of shit they let you print for yourself now.

I’ll do it for $18.00.

Does that come with a fake gold star and include shipping and handling?

[QUOTE=New3M;46589]Other version meaning something that resembles the old licenses - not that piece of shit they let you print for yourself now.[/QUOTE]

Funny you call it a POS. :confused: Seems like you really wanted that POP (Piece of paper). Since they both look the same, I don’t see what the fuss is all about.

In fact, isn’t it nice that a OS/Wiper can now print the same piece of paper as an ossifer? :rolleyes:

:cool:About time the ratings were able to get a fancy paper to hang on the wall as well. :cool:

Thank you USCG/NMC!:smiley:

I’ve already got the POP. It’s been my opinion since the ‘print your own’ came out that it’s garbage. It was a response to everyone wanting something to hang on the wall, and it’s not worth it.

I simply heard in conversation that you could get something that looked exactly like the original license. Next time I’ll ask for the website. Until then, I’ll just use photoshop.

I personally love the new passport style license. I thought carrying around a diploma was kind of stupid myself. A bit narcissistic / self important if you ask me, I don’t carry around my Masters Degree do I ??? With the print your own you can choose which ratings to put on your certificate and what order they are in. I put mine on a flash drive and took it to Staples. They printed it on some really nice paper, the wife got a frame, and it hangs in my office for the kids to show their friends “look, my daddy’s a Captain”. That’s all they were ever good for anyway…nobody else is impressed.

I would have to agree with firefly on this one I did the same thing. And the passport is a lot better instead of carrying a big ass briefcase with the big ass paper in it.

Unfortunately for those of us that work under msc contracts, that big ass briefcase with all of those big ass certificates in it still has to travel with me. The only thing the MMC did for me was remove 1 piece of paper from that briefcase and make it smaller so it’s easier to lose.

I put mine on a flash drive and took it to Staples. They printed it on some really nice paper, the wife got a frame, and it hangs in my office for the kids to show their friends “look, my daddy’s a Captain”. That’s all they were ever good for anyway…nobody else is impressed.

[B]And the first part was narcissistic?[/B]

[QUOTE=West505;46628]I would have to agree with firefly on this one I did the same thing. And the passport is a lot better instead of carrying a big ass briefcase with the big ass paper in it.[/QUOTE]
I didn’t realize I was burdened all of those years. It’s not like we had to tote a couple of reams of paper.

If I had to go to work today, I’d carry my passport, MMC, TRB and medical waiver paperwork in the same leather portfolio that I carried my licenses for over 35 years.

I don’t think we’re burdened. We all carry around all sorts of paperwork when we go to our ships. But the MMC was touted as being the solution to all of that - all of the endorsements would go in there, and you could throw your TWIC in the back of your MMC, grab your passport, and go to work. Obviously that didn’t work. When I go to work I need my MMC, passport, TWIC (even though the ship I work on hasn’t touched the US since 2000), about a dozen certificates proving I’m proficient in this or that, an MSC medical file which is twice as big as it needs to be, and I’m sure other things I’m leaving out.

But when you post a MMC in the rack along with ‘old-style’ licenses, I think it looks pretty sloppy.

[QUOTE=New3M;46634] But when you post a MMC in the rack along with ‘old-style’ licenses, I think it looks pretty sloppy.[/QUOTE]
I agree… The new ones don’t even say Merchant Marine [B]Officer[/B] on them.
I ran across this… Kinda wanted to get it done for my grandfather, I just don’t have all his information… Not sure it’s worth $100 bucks though.

http://www.cardmemories.com/OhioCaptain/