Overseas based Maritime companies that hire USMM's


In order to renounce your citizenship you must show 5 years of tax compliance.


You are required, by law, to pay US taxes, while abroad. So, provided you emigrated, you’d probably be paying double.
Also, working overseas for tax reasons is one of the most moronic excuses I’ve heard.


If you are working under FOC (flag of convenience) ship then shipowner don’t care about paying your local TAX which become your personal responsibility.

The most of seafarers in that case don’t pay any taxes at all using bank account registered outside of US :cool:


As long as a US Citizen or resident alien (Green card holder) remains outside the USA for 330 days in any 12 month period they are exempt on basically the first $100K or so of income earned abroad. Working on-board a US flag vessel I believe does not qualify however working on-board a foreign vessel might well qualify. I am no tax expert but I have linked the info below. If someone were to go abroad and remain abroad for their entire 330 days for example, even on tourists visas, they are exempt. Or if you establish a bona fide residence abroad. I know Americans working in the Middle East who are earning a decent salary with housing, medical etc and not paying any taxes to Uncle Sam because they stay outside the USA so long and when they get their time off, they go and party in fun places also outside the USA LOL :smiley:


You meet the physical presence test if you are physically present in a foreign country or countries 330 full days during a period of 12 consecutive months. The 330 qualifying days do not have to be consecutive. The physical presence test applies to both U.S. citizens and U.S. resident aliens.
The physical presence test is based only on how long you stay in a foreign country or countries. This test does not depend on the kind of residence you establish, your intentions about returning to the United States, or the nature and purpose of your stay abroad. However, your intentions with regard to the nature and purpose of your stay abroad are relevant in determining whether you meet the tax home test, as explained under Chapter 4 of Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad.
330 Full Days
Generally, to meet the physical presence test, you must be physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during the 12-month period. You can count days you spent abroad for any reason. You do not have to be in a foreign country only for employment purposes. You can be on vacation time.
You do not meet the physical presence test if illness, family problems, a vacation, or your employer’s orders cause you to be present for less than the required amount of time. Also, if you are present in a foreign country in violation of U.S. law, you will not be treated as physically present in a foreign country while you were in violation of the law. Income that you earn from sources within such a country for services performed during a period of violation does not qualify as foreign earned income.
However, the minimum time requirement can be waived if you must leave a foreign country because of war, civil unrest, or similar adverse conditions in that country. You must be able to show that you reasonably could have expected to meet the minimum time requirements if not for the adverse conditions, and that you had a tax home in the foreign country and were a bona fide resident of, or physically present in, the foreign country on or before the beginning date of the waiver.

Full Day
A full day is a period of 24 consecutive hours, beginning at midnight. You must spend each of the 330 full days in a foreign country. When you leave the United States to go directly to a foreign country or when you return directly to the United States from a foreign country, the time you spend on or over international waters does not count toward the 330-day total.
You leave the United States for France by air on June 10. You arrive in France at 9:00 a.m. on June 11. Your first full day in France is June 12.
Passing Over Foreign Country
If, in traveling from the United States to a foreign country, you pass over a foreign country before midnight of the day you leave, the first day you can count toward the 330-day total is the day following the day you leave the United States.
You leave the United States by air at 9:30 a.m. on June 10 to travel to Spain. You pass over a part of France at 11:00 p.m. on June 10 and arrive in Spain at 12:30 a.m. on June 11. Your first full day in a foreign country is June 11.
Change Of Location
You can move about from one place to another in a foreign country or to another foreign country without losing full days. But if any part of your travel is not within a foreign country or countries and takes 24 hours or more, you will lose full days.
Example 1:
You leave London by air at 11:00 p.m. on July 6 and arrive in Stockholm at 5:00 a.m. on July 7. Your trip takes less than 24 hours and you lose no full days.
Example 2:
You leave Norway by ship at 10:00 p.m. on July 6 and arrive in Portugal at 6:00 a.m. on July 8. Since your travel is not within a foreign country or countries and the trip takes more than 24 hours, you lose as full days July 6, 7, and 8. If you remain in Portugal, your next full day in a foreign country is July 9.
In United States while in Transit
If you are in transit between two points outside the United States and are physically present in the United States for less than 24 hours, you are not treated as present in the United States during the transit. You are treated as traveling over areas not within any foreign country.
How To Figure The 12-month Period
There are four rules you should know when figuring the 12-month period:
Your 12-month period can begin with any day of the month. It ends the day before the same calendar day, 12 months later
Your 12-month period must be made up of consecutive months. Any 12-month period can be used if the 330 days in a foreign country fall within that period
You do not have to begin your 12-month period with your first full day in a foreign country or to end it with the day you leave. You can choose the 12-month period that gives you the greatest exclusion
In determining whether the 12-month period falls within a longer stay in the foreign country, 12-month periods can overlap one another
Example 1:
You are a construction worker who works from time to time in a foreign country over a 20-month period. You might pick up the 330 full days in a 12-month period only during the middle months of the time you work in the foreign country because the first few and last few months of the 20-month period are broken up by long visits to the United States.
Example 2:
You work in New Zealand for a 20-month period from January 1, 2012, through August 31, 2013, except that you spend 29 days in February 2012 and 28 days in February 2013 on vacation in the United States. You are present in New Zealand 330 full days during each of the following two 12-month periods: January 1, 2012 - December 31, 2012, and September 1, 2012 - August 31, 2013. By overlapping the 12-month periods in this way, you meet the physical presence test for the whole 20-month period. Refer to Chapter 4, Figure 4-B in Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad.

      • Updated - - -

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion
If you meet certain requirements, you may qualify for the foreign earned income and foreign housing exclusions and the foreign housing deduction.
If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to an amount of your foreign earnings that is adjusted annually for inflation ($92,900 for 2011, $95,100 for 2012, $97,600 for 2013, $99,200 for 2014 and $100,800 for 2015). In addition, you can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts.



To be able to claim any of these l the above you have to file federal income taxes on time every year. If you don’t file they’ll come after you and you’ll probably have to pay taxes that you otherwise could have avoided.

Basically, leaving the country is no way to avoid taxes.


[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;184111] you’ll probably have to pay taxes that you otherwise could have avoided.


Another thing to ad to that,when the IRS realizes you screwed up,the fines and penalties start from that moment,regardless of when you get the notification.i learned that the hard way when i enter a dollar amount in the wrong box and underpaid 300 bucks,when i got the letter i already owed 600 bucks ,i got that letter 6 days before christmas no less


The OP could get a job overseas and a good lawyer, form an offshore corporation in Grand Cayman or many other tax havens to deposit his money in and thereby create a tax haven not in his name. There was a billionaire presidential candidate 8 years ago that did not release but one year of his tax returns because the rest would have shown he he paid paid no tax. Many many rich people do this. However, as a normal working person employed in the USA YOU are expected to pay taxes for living in the USA and enjoying the freedom and protection of the the country as well as covering the cost of the billionaires that can afford to pay others to help them avoid taxes.Someone has to pay for the dead beats. As far as child support? If you don’t want to pay that you are the scum of the earth. SO…leave the USA or suck it up and pay your taxes or get rich and pay little or nothing.

split this topic #28

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Noob Question Alert: Do Mariners Pay Taxes?

closed #29