OSV Physicals

I did a search and didnt find much useful stuff.

Can anyone give ma an idea of what these physicals the OSV companies put you through? I have heard they are quite intense and I would like to know what I can do to help myself out. Are they anything like the new USCG physicals? What kind of hoops do you have to jump through? Im overweight like pretty much every other boat guy and im taking some blood pressure medicine but other than that im in good heath. Im looking to head down there after the first of the year so anything I can start doing to help me out will be useful. Im looking to hit up ECO, HOS, HGI, and some of the smaller companies.

Thanks.

Start walking around the block. Some type of exercise any as long as it’s done on a regular basis and for 30 min or more will go a long way to getting you in shape enough to pass.

It appears that the physicals are targeted at the guys past their 40s. They are looking for problems. They are taking urine, blood, blow in this blow in that, look that way and cough. If you have no medications, major surgeries to explain, or recent injuries to be looked at it is a breeze. Then you get sent next door. Step test 3 min, grip strength. Carry this weight around the room. Pick this weight up and put it on the shelf. Fit through this man hole up this squirrel cage an touch your toes. They have a heart monitor on you and based on your heart rate when performing the activity you pass or fail. The standards are subject to your age. I’m not a super active guy but I’m younger and work out occasionally. They told me I had a little blood in my urine so drink more water and I was average outside of that.

[QUOTE=Sirina21;123513]It appears that the physicals are targeted at the guys past their 40s. They are looking for problems. They are taking urine, blood, blow in this blow in that, look that way and cough. If you have no medications, major surgeries to explain, or recent injuries to be looked at it is a breeze. Then you get sent next door. Step test 3 min, grip strength. Carry this weight around the room. Pick this weight up and put it on the shelf. Fit through this man hole up this squirrel cage an touch your toes. They have a heart monitor on you and based on your heart rate when performing the activity you pass or fail. The standards are subject to your age. I’m not a super active guy but I’m younger and work out occasionally. They told me I had a little blood in my urine so drink more water and I was average outside of that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks that helps. It sounds like they are basically doing the new CG physical, I passed on of those not to long ago, and I have lost 30 pounds or so since then so maybe ill do better. I have just heard storys about the ECO doctor and the hoops he makes you jump through.

I’ve always wondered what kind of vision test they throw at you. Not everyone understands what “correctable” means.

I don’t wear glasses or contacts but they gave me the read the bottom row of letters, color blind test, and a depth perception test I hadn’t seen before.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;123515]Thanks that helps. It sounds like they are basically doing the new CG physical, I passed on of those not to long ago, and I have lost 30 pounds or so since then so maybe ill do better. I have just heard storys about the ECO doctor and the hoops he makes you jump through.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like it far exceeds the minimum for the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard doesn’t require that cardiac stress be monitored during the physical ability demonstration, and doesn’t even require the demonstration unless your BMI is 40 or over; the CG standards are not age-dependent; the CG doesn’t require spirometer testing ('blow in this")…

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=z-drive;123516]I’ve always wondered what kind of vision test they throw at you. Not everyone understands what “correctable” means.[/QUOTE]

It’s probably unlikely a doctor does not know or cannot figure out that “correctable” means able to be corrected or that it refers to wearing glasses or contacts, not lasik or similar surgery. If there is such a doctor, I want to make sure I’m never their patient.

There MIGHT be Range of Motion tests. Kind of like getting in weight machines but where you have to flex hard and the machine fights back. The harder YOU flex, the harder machine does. They measure yer efforts. NO effort from you is a bad thing as they measure how hard you work.