OSV and mold

Anybody on the forum had health issues with mold aboard the vessels? I have been off work for months due to unexplained fatigue, low blood counts, funny cat scans showing things in my lungs a host of health issues. Test after biopsy shows growths not cancer in chest cavity/ lungs. Vessel I was on previously treated for extreme mold in the walls of 2 decks. Just wondering if I may have recourse?

[QUOTE=dacook;183290]Anybody on the forum had health issues with mold aboard the vessels? I have been off work for months due to unexplained fatigue, low blood counts, funny cat scans showing things in my lungs a host of health issues. Test after biopsy shows growths not cancer in chest cavity/ lungs. Vessel I was on previously treated for extreme mold in the walls of 2 decks. Just wondering if I may have recourse?[/QUOTE]

Do you have a diagnosis? Your best bet would be to take your records to an attorney…but proving that your problems came from mold exposure on the boat will be tough. Anyone else get sick? Talk to some of your shipmates. Good luck. I sure hope you feel better soon.

Call a lawyer, not a bunch of seamen on an inter webs forum

Take a nice long steam bath at the spa, that really opens up the lungs.

I would much rather expose hazardous working conditions that are the cause of I am sure many Mariners problems. Never did understand why the AC ran full out on the boat without a way actually regulate the air flow. Granted the compressors turned off but the fans on all the time. Also explained needing 6 or more dehumidifiers on one level due to no isulation being installed when the boat was built. Retrofitted about 4 years later but the damage was done and not completely.

You have to leave the blowers on all the time. Boats are not houses that naturally exchange air through out the day. Due to making them water proof air dosent move from outside to in on its own and making the levels as fire proof as possible makes air exchange between levels non existent. Also helps keep the temp regulated and helps cut down on mold growth.

Also helps to find the temp that works best to keep the humidity down. Hate guys that think the ac can’t go below 68, even when the floor is slick from condensation caused by the AC not cycling enough. As long as the compressor cycles on and off at regular intervals its fine.

Sorry for your condition but mold growth in your lungs only happens in those with sever health problems. The type of problems the CG usually isn’t going to let one get a MMD with. What does your doctor think? The biopsy should have given you an idea if it was mold related or not.

As it is mold usually just causes upper resitory problems. Im pretty sensitive to it and will quickly develop sinus problems and a sore throat.

[QUOTE=z-drive;183304]Call a lawyer, not a bunch of seamen on an inter webs forum[/QUOTE]

SeaLawers. . . . .

Ive been on a new boat (to me) since august and had a bunch of respiratory problems. Mostly gone now but my throat is alway dry and agitated when im on the boat. Been to doctors a bunch. Nothing wrong with me. Guess its just the AC on the boat but ive never had a problem before in the past 10 years. I was wondering the same thing about mold. Ive chalked it up to being indoors all day for 21 days with the AC blasting making things real dry. Guess i could get a humidifier for my room.

Another thing to look at are the condition of the filters in the system. HVAC filters have to be changed regularly. Ducting has to be cleaned periodically. Usually that is done in the yard with a process like dry ice blasting. But filters and louvers can be replaced and/or cleaned as part of dayworker duties and I have replaced some absolutely revolting paper filters. I mean soggy, moldy, clogged with mung etc. You’re breathing that.

Coils and fins should be kept clean too. Fins can be gently vacuumed with a brush attachment or cleaned with foam cleaner designed for it.

Also make sure condensate pans actually drain, are clean and then treat them with a pan tablet to prevent mold and bacteria. Makes a difference.

Poor air flow, condensate backing up, etc can lead to mold buildup.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;183358]
Also helps to find the temp that works best to keep the humidity down. Hate guys that think the ac can’t go below 68, even when the floor is slick from condensation caused by the AC not cycling enough. As long as the compressor cycles on and off at regular intervals its fine. [/QUOTE]

Yes AC is a naturally de-humidifying process but careful about assuming “full blast” is the cure for keeping condensation from forming in the living spaces. It might be doing just the opposite of what you want for mold. If you have the interior of the house surfaces cooled off to the point that condensation is forming on them every time someone opens a door and lets in warm moist air you are putting condensate everywhere you don’t want it to prevent mold growth. You want the humidity to come out on the evap coil in the AHU and be drained away there so the rest of the house stays “dry”. I do agree misoperation of the HVAC plant can surely contribute to conditions that promote mold growth. Just as unapproved or ill advised modifications and adjustments can as well. Or even poor design and construction. You have to play the hand your dealt on that one though. Not the kind of thing (like asbestos)you want to guess at remediating though.

Catherder’s checklist is a good one. If you are not inside the AHU’s cleaning the condensation collection section, de-misters and condensate drains (and traps!) every 60 t 90 days you are asking for trouble.

On the other hand as an engineer doing this for this long I just get a kick out of how every ailment known to man is “from the AC on the ship”. Doesn’t matter a guy has pub-crawled his way 48 hours from home on jam packed flights of fellow travelers who have mucous dripping from every orifice and have non traditional standards for voiding same in the most public ways, or that the in-duh-vidual has spent the first few days of port call swimming along the floors of gin mills and house of ill repute with his face stuck in God knows what…somehow after departure they say “hey chief must be something wrong with the AC, I got a sore throat”. Yeah that must be it.

Yep. The “crud” that can be picked up anywhere. When I get it, it’s probably from an airplane, as it’s been about 30 years since I tagged along with friends to a topless joint.

[QUOTE=catherder;183454]Yep. The “crud” that can be picked up anywhere. When I get it, it’s probably from an airplane, as it’s been about 30 years since I tagged along with friends to a topless joint.[/QUOTE]

As opposed to going alone. . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;183457]As opposed to going alone. . . .[/QUOTE]

Not unless the hunky boys with the banana hammocks are center stage.

[QUOTE=KPChief;183390]Y
On the other hand as an engineer doing this for this long I just get a kick out of how every ailment known to man is “from the AC on the ship”. Doesn’t matter a guy has pub-crawled his way 48 hours from home on jam packed flights of fellow travelers who have mucous dripping from every orifice and have non traditional standards for voiding same in the most public ways, or that the in-duh-vidual has spent the first few days of port call swimming along the floors of gin mills and house of ill repute with his face stuck in God knows what…somehow after departure they say “hey chief must be something wrong with the AC, I got a sore throat”. Yeah that must be it.[/QUOTE]

that is so true!