OS openings in Indonesia, Nigeria or other far flung corners of the Earth?

I have been trying trying (without much luck) to get a job as an OS here in the US, and I noticed that forum members often recommend aspiring DPO’s to apply for jobs in “undesirable” places if they can’t get a job in the Gulf. Does this advice apply to an OS as well? If so, how do I find the companies working in these areas? I’ve been applying to jobs for a few months with no response, so any other tips on how to get started in the maritime industry would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

(I have my TWIC, MMD, and I’m taking STCW-BST next week)

Alaska marine highway hires in the summer time you mite have to start in the stewards department but you can go deck fast.

[QUOTE=wannabe;50388]I have been trying trying (without much luck) to get a job as an OS here in the US, and I noticed that forum members often recommend aspiring DPO’s to apply for jobs in “undesirable” places if they can’t get a job in the Gulf. Does this advice apply to an OS as well? If so, how do I find the companies working in these areas? I’ve been applying to jobs for a few months with no response, so any other tips on how to get started in the maritime industry would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

(I have my TWIC, MMD, and I’m taking STCW-BST next week)[/QUOTE]

I hate to sound discouraging but most U.S. boat companies don’t hire O.S.s foreign because they hire local talent from the flag nation they are working in. It’s usually the case per agreement with the flag nation. You may be hired as a delivery crew member but they mostly hire A.B.s to fill those slots…sorry.