Oposite watch oversleeps

Does anyone have a problem with their opposite watch constantly oversleeping/being late for watch. I’ve said stuff about it until I’m blue in the face. Just woke him up, he’s 30 minutes late this morning…and he’s the senior guy! I’ve tried being nice, I’ve tried being a dick about it, doesn’t seem to matter. Seems like a damn grown man could set his alarm and get his ass out of bed when it goes off. Anyone else have this issue?

only thing left to do is return the favor. preferably before dinner.

Returning the favor as z-drive suggested has worked for me in the past. I also had a assistant engineer that just couldn’t wake up unless he got a call every day. I hate babysitting but making the call insured I got relieved on time. I thought it was strange waking up a grown man but I now work on Rigs everyone gets a wake up call.

General Alarm or Fire Alarm works.

Bucket of ice water outta do the trick, rinse and repeat till said person figures it out.

If the deck gang/mates are late to watch or the morning safety meeting they miss out on overtime for the day, late again no overtime for the week. Everyone will show up on time.

Unfortunately doesn’t work like that in the mud hole on day rate without overtime.

The first time you send someone to wake him up 30 min early for his watch. the second time, an hour, etc. Much more than that we run their asses off.

I find that so hard to believe these days. Everyone has a phone and/or some other electronic gadget to help wake them up plus programming your room phone to wake you up. I’m a real anal retentive about relieving on time and even ahead of time if there’s a lot of shit going on. If you can’t get your ass out of the rack then your special snowflake ass needs to find another job. Maybe you can sling 8 dollar lattes with your edgy, ironic hipster friends and talk about how the man keeps you down.

The Master I work with said he imposed fines on anyone caught showing up late for watch. Granted this was the fishing fleet in the Bering and they had more leverage there. I say write them up and notify the office once you get at least 3 infractions. That’s the way our office tells us to deal with trouble makers. I’ve never known anyone to do this habitually, although our relief Master is notorious for showing up late for crew change. I’ll shake everyones hand that comes on except his.

[QUOTE=bell47;148713]Does anyone have a problem with their opposite watch constantly oversleeping/being late for watch. I’ve said stuff about it until I’m blue in the face. Just woke him up, he’s 30 minutes late this morning…and he’s the senior guy! I’ve tried being nice, I’ve tried being a dick about it, doesn’t seem to matter. Seems like a damn grown man could set his alarm and get his ass out of bed when it goes off. Anyone else have this issue?[/QUOTE]

OK, sounds like you tried being nice about it but that doesn’t seem to be working. Showing up to relieve on time is part of the job and a respect thing. This fool either doesn’t understand his job description or has no respect for you or both. Either way you need to escalate this to whatever authority you report to and insist they handle the situation as you have done all you know how to do. I for one would not want to sail with or be dependent upon such an irresponsible person; “senior” or otherwise this person is irresponsible.

I’ve had someone do this before. I fixed it by hiding 7 alarm clocks through out our room set to go of in 5 minute intervals all the way up to shift change.

I had a guy who was 1 or 2 minits late ALWAYS. (for 3 yrs), that’s avg. 1.5 hrs. a month I stayed down there listening to those EMD’s. I tried all sorts of stuff… it’d work for a couple days. He was a nice guy etc., I don’t recall what became of the issue, you know how bad things sort of leave your mind after a while? I prob have some permanent damage I haven’t figured out yet!

Print out this thread for your relief to read.

A fire hose is a great motivator.

Your the “barge-mate” on a manned barge ? Depends how much you like your job, depends how far you wanna push it. I would re-enforce the idea of a 6/6 watch but your circumstance is different than what most guys are used too. Your stuck on a barge with 1 other guy who can make your life miserable, make you look like a fool to the office for fun, i would pick and chose my battles. Keep waking him up before watch or push him over the side one night. Choice is yours.

the multiple alarm clocks in the room is very effective! also grab an air horn, crack open the door and let her rip!! and if he shows up late for you, show up late for him. Keep doing that until said person gets the hint.

Explain to the guy that your time is as valuable to you as his is to him. I would relieve him at the same time he relieved me every time. I had a guy relieve me 1-2 min late (11:46-11:47) every watch. I relieved the other engineer at that time and told him to “pass it on to the guy who relieved me ( traditional 3 man watches aboard a ship)”. Some people go the other way and relieve too early which may screw up a meal for the person coming on watch too.

I was always told to relieve the watch 15 minutes before the top of the hour. Most times I did. This isn’t to say that after a long day I didn’t get up on time, but it was not very often, and only when I was sailing as Chief.

1-2 minutes late is nothing to get worked up over. I worked with a guy who would stay in his rack until our barge was tied up at the dock because he hated mooring the barge and thought he was only there to tank. He would show up 45 mins after the hour and act like everything was business as usual. This seemed to happen more frequently when the weather was super hot or super cold.