Opinions on binoculars?

Hi folks,

I figured this would be a good place to get some thoughts on various binos. 7x50 is obviously the standard. I’ve used loads of different brands but only recently started paying attention to names (now that I finally have to buy my own). I remember the standard Bushnells as being so-so, West Marines were garbage. I’ve used Steiner’s “marine” model and had good build quality and optics. ~$200-$400 seems like the price range where you get decent quality but won’t be devastated if they’re dropped. (it happens…) Nikons and Fujinons seem like my alternatives right now, but I can’t remember if I’ve used them or not and don’t know how they stack up against the Steiners.

It would be great to hear which pairs you all have had the best experiences with. Thanks!

Don’t know about Fujions, but between Steiner and Nikon, Steiner every time. Bushnell had improved their quality as well. Their marine model is a decent performer at around $110.

The Fujinon Polaris are excellent marine binos. Bought a pair used about 20 years ago, and they have been with me since. The only maintenance they have needed are new lens covers. Company binos on the bridge are a joke.

Was on one boat that had a pair of Steiners. Although I don’t know which model they were, everyone kept wanting to use the Fujinons.

Using the search function on this site, here are a couple of other threads on the subject:

http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/mariner-gear/14925-fujinon-7x50.html

http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/mariner-gear-guide/11113-binoculars.html

Eagle Optics is an excellent vendor. http://www.eagleoptics.com/

[QUOTE=water;156270]The Fujinon Polaris are excellent marine binos. Bought a pair used about 20 years ago, and they have been with me since. The only maintenance they have needed are new lens covers. Company binos on the bridge are a joke.

Was on one boat that had a pair of Steiners. Although I don’t know which model they were, everyone kept wanting to use the Fujinons.

Using the search function on this site, here are a couple of other threads on the subject:

http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/mariner-gear/14925-fujinon-7x50.html

http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/mariner-gear-guide/11113-binoculars.html

Eagle Optics is an excellent vendor. http://www.eagleoptics.com/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, I had already read through those threads and already pulled some decent info. Basically I’m pretty much ready to get a pair of Steiners unless you folks tell me that others, Fujinons for example, are a much better value for the money. Its tough to make an investment like this when its so tough to demo the ones you’re interested in. I don’t have any optics stores where I live better than West Marine.

I like Steiner. Bring mine every hitch cause the ones on the boat were probably pulled out of a crackerjack box. You may want to search the threads under “Marine Gear”. Some hits there for binos. :smile:

I personally think Steiner’s SUCK. I had a pair when stationed at New London and they got fogged up on the first real cold day.

I’ve had a pair Fujinon Mariner’s 7 x 50s for YEARS - Solid binos
I have a set of Vortex 8 x 32s that are KILLER. Ridiculously clear optics. BIG fan.
I also managed to snag a set of Fujinon Technostabi 8 x 32s for next to nothing. Image Stabilized binos are a REAL treat when the upper house is jumping or there is 40kts of wind in yer face.

Thanks for the info folks! I had already searched the forums and read the threads. Basically it’s tough shopping for these things b/c so few stores have any decent selection, plus looking at a parking lot is a really crap way of judging optics. It’s funny some like the Stieners and others don’t. One thing I did notice was that those bad boys are HEAVY. With all the other gear in my seabag, 5lb binos are no joke.

Fujinon is a excellent binocular, and I have never had a problem with Steiners. But I would like to point out a couple notes. Do look at Alpen, excellent warranty, any problem, (including dropping from the bridge to main deck) and Alpen will repair or replace, life time warranty, no matter how old they are.

Second item is about West Marine (or other box marine store) binoculars. I have used a couple really good West Marine sets, and it was always confusing to find some good, some bad ones. Until it was explained to me…It is all about quaility control. Companies such as Fujinon and Steiner will not let a set binoculars out of the factory unless they meet a certain level of quality. West Marine (and other brands) quality control is not as high. SO…if you want decent quality without paying the cost, go to your local West Marine store and open and try out each set of binoculars they have there, odds are good, that at least one set will have very good (as good as Fujinon or Steiner) optics. May have to open a lot of boxes, And of course you have to find a helpful store clerk, But it is possible to get a very good set from West Marine (or other store such as Sears or Boaters World). Or just bite the bullet and pay for Fujinons. The cost is not that bad when you consider how useful a[U] good[/U] set of binoculars are.

Nikon Aculon - Lifetime warrenty , crystal clear optics about $79.00 and up. Acadamy Sports has them on display and you can actually try them. Check em out!
Actually if your on watch on the bridge yall spend more time watching us deck apes looking for “safety violations” than watching for shipping… just sayin.

I have some of the Steiner commanders and they are awesome but bulky, heavy, and expensive. I usually bring my Nikon monarch 3’s in 8x42 with me to the boat. Vortex Vipers are also nice binos. Binoculars.com has a lot of good info and reviews of what is out there.

Leupold gold ring

If you can’t use them for the Night sky get something else. Try Min Giants 9x63 for best clarity and wide field of vision.

Without a doubt fujinon 10x70 for most Mariners and situations. Ideally you would have 10x70s for day and 7x50s for night or when the weather gets rough. Also they cost a lot. Favorite pair of 7x50s I have used are baker marine. I have a pair of fujinon techno stabis 14x40 which are the shit but are uneccesary for non fishing applications

Binoculars are like assholes. Every ship has at least two. Next topic please.

$20 or $500 when someone sets them standing on the dash and they take a fall in rough weather, they’re fooked.

I can vouch for the Fujinon 7X50’s. Very solid built nocs with a built in compass. Well worth the $650.

Vortex is sure worth a look. Great value, great build quality, great optics, possibly the best warranty in the business, and American-made.

[QUOTE=RichM;156409]Binoculars are like assholes. Every ship has at least two. Next topic please.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats what I thought too until I switched to tugboats.

I have had a Pair of Nikon Rubber Covered 50x70 for 30 years or more. They have spent most of there life in the Berring Sea and have had a ruff life. About every 10 years or so I gather up what various brands of Binoculars are laying around and take them in for a Tune up. Most of the chepo brands are quickly handed back and I’m told there not worth fixing. The others are excepted and aligned. The Nikons are also handed back and I’m told that they are in perfect alignment and they can’t make them any better than they are all ready.So they have never had a thing done to them. The real Nikons are expensive, much more than a pair of Fuginons. After recently reading a book on Binoculars the German brands were considered the best prior the WWII, and the Japanese copied them very well. Since there really hasn’t been a lot of change since, other than Lense coatings. I would stay away from the Single Focus models as they are a pain to rebuild.

[QUOTE=yard_bird;156207]Hi folks,

I figured this would be a good place to get some thoughts on various binos. 7x50 is obviously the standard. I’ve used loads of different brands but only recently started paying attention to names (now that I finally have to buy my own). I remember the standard Bushnells as being so-so, West Marines were garbage. I’ve used Steiner’s “marine” model and had good build quality and optics. ~$200-$400 seems like the price range where you get decent quality but won’t be devastated if they’re dropped. (it happens…) Nikons and Fujinons seem like my alternatives right now, but I can’t remember if I’ve used them or not and don’t know how they stack up against the Steiners.

It would be great to hear which pairs you all have had the best experiences with. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Keep in mind when you purchase a pair of binoculars, you are purchasing something that should last you 20 - 30 years or more. So the cost of ownership per year is not that much more for a good pair. Unlike a smartphone that you might use for 2 - 3 years.

Ah, always looking for the perfect pair…