Old sea time

Hey guys,
<o></o>I know that this is a very simple question that has probably been answered in a previous post but I can’t find anything that is a definite answer. Currently I hold a 100-ton near coastal license, when I went in to apply 4 or so years ago I was told that I had enough sea time to qualify for a 500-ton license, obviously I hadn’t taken the required courses to completely qualify (ab, radar, etc) My question is this; CAN I use sea time which I have already submitted for my 100-ton, take the classes I need, then go test at the REC?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes, but it is a $20K + investment with no job guarantee unless you have one in your pocket. It might be more advisable to get your AB and work with that ticket or work a 100GRT job.

Actually no, you can only submit seatime once. If you have already submitted it for a previous license you cannot submit it for the upgrade on another license. I have had several employees that have faced similar problems.

call NMC help desk and ask them, I think you can, yo can even email them, include your license number in the email and be VERY specific about what you want the to answer, i do not see why you can not use the sea time from your 100-ton to upgrade

NMC Customer Service Center: 1-888-IASKNMC (1-888-427-5662) email click here (http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/contact_iasknmc.asp)

Sure you can. Experience (Seatime) doesn’t go away or expire…just recency of experience. Don’t confuse the two.

Nemo

[I][quote=Capt C.Delany;20170]…My question is this; CAN I use sea time which I have already submitted for my 100-ton, take the classes I need, then go test at the REC? [/quote][/I]

Maybe. There is no absolute rule applicable in all cases that sea timne can only be used once. It depends on what you have, and what you want – you only said a “100 ton license” and are applying for a “500 ton license” you did not specify mate or master, nor did you specify the route (inland, near coastal, etc). Give some more info and I can try to give a better answer.

Thanks Mr. Cavo
Its a Master 100 ton near coastal and i want to get a 500 ton near coastal masters