Oil Spill Jobs in the Gulf

anyone know of company’s hiring for spill response

You can try MSRC… Marine Spill Response Corp. They are the big blue boats out there skimming oil

msrc.org

Whoever it is has a huge job on their hands. what a mess…

Everybody at MSRC has recieved an e-mail saying that all vacations and time off are canceled until further notice

Dont know if you would be able to get on with MSRC. When I worked for them way back when, the protocol was: All MSRC hands were to take care of the big boats and barges and they would be getting third party contractors to do the rest. It might have changed, but I dont think so. You might start by doing a web search for the medium and larger oil spill companies, those are the ones that they were on contract then.

Good Luck!

this is ridiculous…bp and the us government should be hiring all the crew and supply boats that are not working …and start cleaning this up…I am an experienced gulf supply vessel capt. and would go there right now to help…these guys gotta pull their head out of their ass!!

if this goes the direction of the Exxon Valdez spill there should be plenty of work available…that time vessels and equipment were mobilized from the GoM for support!!

**will need to pay attention to management though… during the Exxon Valdez spill the company I worked for was getting an excessive day rate and only paying the crew $20 p/d additional as an incentive!!

[QUOTE=seadawg;31928]if this goes the direction of the Exxon Valdez spill there should be plenty of work available…that time vessels and equipment were mobilized from the GoM for support!!

**will need to pay attention to management though… during the Exxon Valdez spill the company I worked for was getting an excessive day rate and only paying the crew $20 p/d additional as an incentive!![/QUOTE]

Seadawg, sounds like we were working for the same company. I was getting $20 a day extra, and not necessarily for working on the spill, but it was considered “foreign pay”. Back then, anything outside the GOM was considered foreign.

I just got this:

High Priority **

Greetings,

C-Mar America is currently looking for the following ASAP to assist with oil recovery efforts. This job is expected to begin on or around the 10th of May for an expected minimum period of 90-120 days.

6 off 1600T masters
3 off 1600T or OSV certified Ch.Eng
6 Deck hands (3 must be ABs)
3 Oilers

In addition to a 200t tug (non STCW95)

2 Capt can have 200T license or higher

1 Eng can be certified with DDE or unlimited

2 deck hands

Due to the urgency of the situation I am asking that you email me and or call me immediately. I will be on-call 24/7. Thank You.

Kindest Regards,

Marcie Viator
US Logistics
C-MAR America, Inc.
107 Global Cr., Ste. 202
Lafayette, LA 70503
T: 337-406-2864
F: 337-406-2866

found these guys are hiring asap low pay but better than nothing osrec.com

the www.osrec.com guy “Tony” emailed me with an application. The Oil Cleanup jobs are with Baystone Contractors LLC. Just wonder if I really should put my social security number on this application to a company which I have never heard of?

I’d be very leery about disclosing my SS# to an unknown company if I were you.If your hired then give it to them.

The fact that you have a SS# might be a problem. It’s old news but it might give some insight into the company’s SOP.
www.texasbuildingtrades.com

Welp I did it… lets see what trouble brews this time. I need Life-Lock.

Got this email from some person dealing with contractors cleaning up the spill, last night. Sounds to me like hundreds of unemployed want to help clean but there are not that many jobs yet.

“Hi Everyone,
Its been a really busy time since we started getting the word out online about the Oil Spill Jobs. In fact, there has been a much greater response than we expected and it has been difficult to keep up with applications coming in.
Initially we had hoped for around 40-50 people and at the moment we must be somewhere near 400 applications. The contractors office today also had around 200 visitors from the interest generated so they have been limited in getting through the process too.
Because of this we decided that the easiest and fastest way to update everybody was to create a unique mailing list and add a form onto the web page. This means that as soon as we get any updates and news we will send one email and everyone will receive the same email instantly. This will leave us more time to deal with individual questions rather than trying to reply to every email coming in. The form is on the web page just above the video and just below the application forms, you can find it by visiting this link http://www.osrec.com/work-in-usa/oil-spill-jobs/
The latest situation is that this morning the Oil Spill was approximately 10 miles off Louisiana and according to the contractor they were expecting it to start coming in somewhere near New Orleans. However, the wind has apparently changed direction of the main part of the Oil spill and it was looking like it was going to end up in the Alabama & Mississippi region.
The problem for us is that the prime contractors cannot tell the sub contractors where the bulk of the workers are needed until they know themselves where the spill will end up.
I have been instructed to keep everyone updated, but i do not have any further information than has been stated above.
For questions about the salary for this work i did not get any definite answers, again this may change from state to state and we have been told it will be above the prevailing wage for each state. That’s not much information to go on right now so i guess we will have to sit tight and wait for more news.
In the meantime i would like to thank everyone for sending through resumes and completed application forms. I understand that many of you are eager to find out more and get to work but its out of our hands right now. We have done everything asked of us by the contractor and both them and all of us will have to wait for more news from the prime contractors.
Once the Oil spill jobs project is finished we will be deleting the mailing list. You have nothing to be concerned about us sharing your details or sending you lots of sales messages. Once this is over the list will be deleted and anyone who wants to keep in touch with us can subscribe to the main page mailing list if they wish to.
Any further communication from us will come either from the mailing list or on updates on the web page http://www.osrec.com/work-in-usa/oil-spill-jobs/
All applications that have been submitted so far have been printed and sent to the contractors office, however, i would advise you to wait for more updates before contacting them directly as they are already very busy.
Tony Hayes”:mad:

[QUOTE=mike50;32106]I’d be very leery about disclosing my SS# to an unknown company if I were you.If your hired then give it to them.[/QUOTE]

**suggest that if you have trepidation as you should about giving your SS# over the internet…particularly over an “unsucured site”…use XXX-XX-4035 format…that is usually enough to enable a backgound check…if the company objects then you may not want to have anything to with whoever is in charge with that mentality!!

There are job openings for oil spill clean up workers and boat captains at http://www.gulfoilspilljobs.com with an online application form there. Looks like its a disaster contractor, Risk Management Disaster Service, needing help with oil boom and beach cleanup projects.

For what it’s worth at this latish date, there are apparently people out there working in unsafe air conditions without respirators, and short term (low pay better than nothing) gain could come with longer term illness.

Riki Ott described as “marine toxicologist” and experienced with Exxon Valdez “cleanup” posted this today on Huffington Post. I am linking at end for verification to print version page because that website seems to fail to load for me often. Key excerpts:

[I]At What Cost? BP Spill Responders Told to Forgo Precautionary Health Measures in Cleanup

Venice, Louisiana – Local fishermen hired to work on BP’s uncontrolled oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico are scared and confused. Fishermen here and in other small communities dotting the southern marshes and swamplands of Barataria Bay are getting sick from the working on the cleanup, yet BP is assuring them they don’t need respirators or other special protection from the crude oil, strong hydrocarbon vapors, or chemical dispersants being sprayed in massive quantities on the oil slick.

Fishermen have never seen the results from the air-quality monitoring patches some of them wear on their rain gear when they are out booming and skimming the giant oil slick. However, more and more fishermen are suffering from bad headaches, burning eyes, persistent coughs, sore throats, stuffy sinuses, nausea, and dizziness. They are starting to suspect that BP is not telling them the truth.

And based on air monitoring conducted by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in a Louisiana coastal community, those workers seem to be correct. The EPA findings show that airborne levels of toxic chemicals like hydrogen sulfide, and volatile organic compounds like benzene, for instance, now far exceed safety standards for human exposure.

[snip}
During the 1989 cleanup in Alaska, thousands of workers had what Exxon medical doctors called, “the Valdez Crud,” and dismissed as simple colds and flu. Fourteen years later, I followed the trail of sick workers through the maze of court records, congressional records, obituaries, and media stories, and made hundreds of phone calls. I found a different story. As one former cleanup worker put it, “I thought I had the Valdez Crud in 1989. I didn’t think I’d have it for fourteen years.”

In 1989 Exxon knew cleanup workers were getting sick: Exxon’s clinical data shows 6,722 cases of upper respiratory “infections”–or more likely work-related chemical induced illnesses. Exxon also knew workers were being overexposed to oil vapors and oil particles as verified through its air-quality monitoring program contracted to Med-Tox. The cleanup workers never saw results of this program. Neither did OSHA, the agency supposedly charged to oversee and independently monitor Exxon’s worker-safety program.

Alarmed by the “chemical poisoning epidemic,” as expert witness Dr. Daniel Teitelbaum would later call it when he testified on behalf of sick workers, Exxon created a partial release form to indemnify itself from future health claims. Exxon paid its workers $600.50 to sign it, as I discovered in court records.

[snip}
Unlike the Exxon Valdez tragedy, in more recent oil spills human-health studies were conducted by independent qualified personnel. After the 2002 Prestige oil spill, medical researchers reported that fishermen and residents of Galacia, Spain, suffered identical symptoms to Exxon Valdez and now BP Gulf responders when cleaning up off their coast - or just from breathing air laced with oil vapors, driven by hurricane force winds. Similarly, after the 2007 Hebei Spirit oil spill off the coast of Taean, South Korea, medical researchers documented respiratory damage, central nervous system damage, and even genetic damage in volunteers and fishermen who worked on the cleanup.

[/I]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/riki-ott/at-what-cost-bp-spill-res_b_578784.html?view=print

Tourists are going back to the Gulf shores 12 months after the BP oil leak was stopped.