Oh no, another car carrier falling over

The MAIB report on the Hoegh Osaka cannot come soon enough if it helps stop these repeated incidents.
Today it is the turn of the Modern Express, crew abandoned off La Coruna. The big question is: will the Spanish let it be towed in or are they going to let it sink at sea and cause another pollution incident?
Actually, if previous cases are anything to go by it probably won’t sink - they seem to survive these incidents.

I could understand if non essential crew had been evacuated, but to abandon ship? I want to know the reason behind that decision.

[QUOTE=Kraken;177809]I could understand if non essential crew had been evacuated, but to abandon ship? I want to know the reason behind that decision.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that “standard procedure”?? Anything listing over 1 degr. calls for evacuation of non-essentials. Any more and the entire crew, incl. Master is ordered to evacuate by some shore based entity.

I notice that Stbd. lifeboat had been lowered and was around close to the bow, presumably with at least some of the crew on board.
They were probably rescued in a very dangerous and daring helicopter winching operation.

More people gets killed in rescue operations than in actual sinking or capsizing, even incl. the 33 on El Faro that didn’t have the means (and possible time) to abandon ship in the first place.

PS> The Master of Prestige has finally been sentenced, after almost 16 years. When encountering a small crack in the hull he asked for permission to enter Port(s) of Refuge/Safe Haven in Portugal, Spain and France, which was denied by some wise men ashore.
If he had been allowed it would have been a small matter of a fine for overloading. (if that was actually the case)
It became one of the most expensive oil spills and cleanups in history, so far.

Maybe it is time to allow Masters to call the shots on board and professional Mariners to be consulted ashore??

[QUOTE=Day Sailor;177803]Actually, if previous cases are anything to go by it probably won’t sink - they seem to survive these incidents.[/QUOTE]

Unless something hits a car carrier (Tricolor, Baltic Ace), they are pretty hard to sink due to the high freeboard. Sure, they’ll easily lose stability due to high center of gravity and assume a list of 40-50 degrees, but after that they’re very stable.

I’d bet on that ship getting salvaged in the coming days.

Indeed, and as the crews they presently use are only too keen to disembark and leave the vessel in the hands of the salvage crews perhaps they should employ instead sailors, the sort who use sails and are used to life at a forty degree tilt.

These ships have a 32 meter beam. How would the crew even move around the ship much less accomplish anything?

[QUOTE=Day Sailor;177831]Indeed, and as the crews they presently use are only too keen to disembark and leave the vessel in the hands of the salvage crews perhaps they should employ instead sailors, the sort who use sails and are used to life at a forty degree tilt.[/QUOTE]

It’s not always the crew that is eager to leave but the rescue center that “order” them to leave, even if the rescue operation is more dangerous than staying.
Not comfortable at 40 degr. list and maybe not much they can do, but they will survive.

[QUOTE=ombugge;177845]It’s not always the crew that is eager to leave but the rescue center that “order” them to leave, even if the rescue operation is more dangerous than staying.
Not comfortable at 40 degr. list and maybe not much they can do, but they will survive.[/QUOTE]

The ship is at high risk of sinking, the crew can acomplish little or nothing. Waiting to remove the crew risks having to carry out the rescue in worse conditons. Taking the crew off is a no-brainer.

There is a weather window at the moment, a good opportunity for getting a tow rigged and getting her into Brest before the next blow through. That job could have been much easier with a few bods already on board. Experience has shown that this type of vessel is prone to this type of incident so safety lines, rigging points and harnesses should be part of the emergency equipment. That would of course mean that they would have to admit there is a design flaw.

[QUOTE=Day Sailor;177859]There is a weather window at the moment, a good opportunity for getting a tow rigged and getting her into Brest before the next blow through. That job could have been much easier with a few bods already on board. Experience has shown that this type of vessel is prone to this type of incident so safety lines, rigging points and harnesses should be part of the emergency equipment. That would of course mean that they would have to admit there is a design flaw.[/QUOTE]

But will Brest, or any other port accept a ship with 40 degr. list and fuel on board?

[QUOTE=ombugge;177860]But will Brest, or any other port accept a ship with 40 degr. list and fuel on board?[/QUOTE]

I do do not understand why all ships are not required to have permanently rigged, easy to remotely deploy from the bridge, emergency towing gear.

The rescue tug should need to do nothing more than make one pass with the Orville Hook in order to take the ship under tow in heavy weather — without any need to put anyone onboard the ship.

Failure to deploy the emergency towing gear before abandoning ship should result in large fines, suspension of certificates, etc.

luckily most tankers do, but it’s more of an insurance thing than a regulatory thing, if I recall correctly. It would only take a few minutes to deploy before abandoning. Too bad it’s only tankers and not regulatory.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;177862]I do do not understand why all ships are not required to have permanently rigged, easy to remotely deploy from the bridge, emergency towing gear.

The rescue tug should need to do nothing more than make one pass with the Orville Hook in order to take the ship under tow in heavy weather — without any need to put anyone onboard the ship.

Failure to deploy the emergency towing gear before abandoning ship should result in large fines, suspension of certificates, etc.[/QUOTE]

Bv requirement for Emergency Towing Arrangement: http://www1.veristar.com/veristar/bvrules/B_10_s4_4_5.htm
Not automatically deployed from the bridge, but easily deployed by one person.
Not dis-similar to what is required for towed barges and “dead ships”.

Here is a description of an emergency towing arrangement for an ATB: https://towmasters.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/emergency-towing-what-do-you-do-part-i/
Is this common practice, or a good suggestion by someone?

That dog house on the port fwd corner is the access to the fwd mooring station Once you get there you have to drop 4 decks or so to the same situation at the mooring station but without the hand rail. It would take considerable time and effort to get crew down there from the house much less do anything.

Recall that one of the salvage workers on the Cougar Ace fell and was killed during the salvage. Ship crews are hired to move the ship from point A to point B not do salvage work. If a salvage company want to put crew aboard they can by helo.

This ship is older then the Ace, likely not as watertight, has more of a list, is in worse weather. The cargo is construction equipment which has a tendency to work loose and do heavy damage to the ship once it breaks free. The Ace cargo was new cars which are much more likely to stay in place.

can’t think of an ATB without it. Some disconnect when not offshore because they’re frequency in and out of the notch. Even a conventional barge has the emergency wire ready to go; connected to retrieval gear when un-manned.

[QUOTE=ombugge;177864]Is this common practice, or a good suggestion by someone?[/QUOTE]
Yes the ATBs have an emergency tow hawser attached while underway. Also, towed unmanned seagoing barges have an emergency tow hawser with a trailing pick-up line and buoy.

Every dead-ship tow I’ve been on to the boneyard, it was common practice to pull the “insurance wire” out of the rudder compartment or lazeret and rig an emergency tow wire with a trailing pick-up buoy.

[QUOTE=ombugge;177864]Bv requirement for Emergency Towing Arrangement: http://www1.veristar.com/veristar/bvrules/B_10_s4_4_5.htm
Not automatically deployed from the bridge, but easily deployed by one person.
Not dis-similar to what is required for towed barges and “dead ships”.

Here is a description of an emergency towing arrangement for an ATB: https://towmasters.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/emergency-towing-what-do-you-do-part-i/
Is this common practice, or a good suggestion by someone?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Those are both customary arrangements for towing barges, or pre-planned dead ships.

However, as far as I know, there is nothing like that typically pre-rigged and ready to go on a ship which must be abandoned in an emergency at sea. Nor is that the best way to go about it.

What is need for the emergency tow of a distressed ship at sea, is about three shots of anchor chain made fast to a heavy towing bracket, and about 600’ of strong floating line attached too it, that can be dropped by the ship before abandonment. ideally, with a remote control quick release mechanism. Then a tug can fairly quickly and safely snag the chain with its Orville Hook and take the ship in tow, even in heavy weather. Alternatively, if the first tug to arrive has no Orville Hook, then it can grapple for floating line. Of course, Orville Hooks should be a regulatory requirement for all tugs which might be called upon to rescue a drifting ship in an emergency.

Lacking such pre-planned towing arrangements, a distressed ship at sea should at least walk out one anchor about three shots, set the brake and stop off the chain before abandonment. Then the arriving tug can grab the chain with its Orville Hook and take the ship in tow (anchor and all), even in heavy weather.

[QUOTE=Day Sailor;177831]Indeed, and as the crews they presently use are only too keen to disembark and leave the vessel in the hands of the salvage crews perhaps they should employ instead sailors, the sort who use sails and are used to life at a forty degree tilt.[/QUOTE]

Wow, what an absolutely ridiculous statement.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;177882]Wow, what an absolutely ridiculous statement.[/QUOTE]

Good, I am glad you think so because it was not meant to be a serious suggestion, just a primer to get people with experience and knowledge to come up with more suitable ideas. Which is what is happening.
I have just watched the video linked to the GCaptain article on new EU guidelines for ships in need of assistance. If the Modern Express does not sink it will need a safe haven and it will be interesting to see if the guidelines have any practical impact.

[QUOTE=Day Sailor;177889]Good, I am glad you think so because it was not meant to be a serious suggestion[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should consider not making sarcastic comments like that until you are a known entity. With the name “Day Sailor”, and after the slew of idiotic “cruisers” that came on here playing Monday morning quarterback after the El Faro sinking, people are going to assume you are exactly what you named yourself, a day sailor and exactly the type of idiot to make that suggestion and mean it.