Officers stabbed to death, engineer wounded. Crewman missing

Two officers stabbed to death, engineer wounded, crewman snaps on iron ore bulker.

OT on a foreign flagged bulker. Heh.

Levity aside, I wonder if and when we’ll ever see an investigation on this. How long the crewmember had been aboard, what the working conditions were like, any evidence of underlying psychological problems.

Damn, I feel for the families of the two slain officers and hope the engineer has a speedy recovery. Hopefully the families can get some sort of justice.

They work 10 month (or longer) contracts, and sometimes the ship owner is so stingy they run out of foodstuffs. It’s almost always the Chinese ships that happens to. Once in blue moon they come to a US port and make the news when they beg the stevedores for food having consumed the lifeboat provisions.

Awful.

You would think PSC would arrest the ship until it had adequate provisions for the voyage.

All that would happen is they’d get a couple bags of rice delivered and say that’s “adequate”.

Edit: Not Racist, I mean bc it’s the cheapest stuff around and has no real nutritional value.

[QUOTE=txwooley;159415]You would think PSC would arrest the ship until it had adequate provisions for the voyage.[/QUOTE]

Yeah right … until the MLC became reality, PSC could care less about the condition of the crew and its care.

Until there is some kind of international law that states that after a short length of time, the crew of an abandoned ship takes ownership (but not liability) of their ship and can sell it off to the highest bidder and split the proceeds. The people who owned and abandoned the ship must be held liable for all aspects of that ship until it is sold and either banned from trading by the IMO and Flag State or held personally criminally and civilly responsible for everything to do with the ship and its crew.

The banks are protected, the stockholders are protected, but the taxpayer and the crews are regarded as nothing more than a source of cash and labor to clean up the mess left after the profits are taken.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;159418]… it’s the cheapest stuff around and has no real nutritional value.[/QUOTE]

You might want to look up the nutritional value of rice …

The medical profession calls rice a 3P food.
Only for prisioners, pensioners and pheasants
Ever wondered why the asian race is so short…

[QUOTE=txwooley;159415]You would think PSC would arrest the ship until it had adequate provisions for the voyage.[/QUOTE]

That’s happened, too.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;159418]All that would happen is they’d get a couple bags of rice delivered and say that’s “adequate”.

Edit: Not Racist, I mean bc it’s the cheapest stuff around and has no real nutritional value.[/QUOTE]

The Vietnamese managed to fight off the French and then the US while subsisting mostly on a diet of rice, some vegetables, and the occasional- and I mean occasional- fish.

In fact, they fought off the Japanese even earlier. while enduring famine.