O.S. Deckhand daily pay rates

Can anyone tell me what different tug companies around Norfolk Va are paying their O.S. Deckhands to start. I’ve just recently received my TWIC and MMC after a decade out of the industry and don’t want to end up in the lowest paying company like I did years ago.

As an OS you should just be happy to get a job and then go from there.

I got $26 per day when I started on the tugs in the gulf. That was in 1977. The starting pay has probably gone up since then, so I guess it’s safe to say, more than $26.

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;109931]As an OS you should just be happy to get a job and then go from there.[/QUOTE]

This is the truth, to be honest. OS pay is around the 130/day mark here. A little more at the big companies like McAllister and Moran and a little less at places like Robbins and ICM.

If you dont want to be at the lowest pay scale then take whatever you can and start upgrading as fast as you can. An OS cannot be picky IMO

Another super OS… Exactly what we need.

Keep the shiter clean, chipping and paint is from 1200 to 1600, dinner is at 1800. Be ready for watch 10 minutes before your shift starts. No sleeping on watch, no phone on watch.

Your query begins with the problem. get OUT of Va. if you want more pay. However, accept whatever job you can find. If you MUST insist on ‘Non Union’ you will reap the rewards of your quest. Enjoy.

I’m not new this I’ve just been away from it for about a decade. I’ve got enough sea time to get my AB OSV but plan to pull a few trips to get back in the saddle before I go test for it.

OS with IBU (Inlandboatmen’s Union) Valdez contract gets $312/day before taxes. Equal time off. Hitches are 4 or 8 weeks.

You can try vane brothers. Based mostly out of New York, Philly and Baltimore. But they do have a couple boats that stay in Norfolk. O/s makes 220 and abs at 250

I’m sailing as OS right now on a Crowley car carrier making dirt for pay but over time every day and as soon as I get my time in I’m getting my AB and finding something better. The dude above is right who gives a fuck about pay just pray you find a job/vessel that even sails OS. Sail till you can get your AB an then let all the opportunities open up. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Vamariner;110078]I’m not new this I’ve just been away from it[U] for about a decade.[/U] I’ve got enough sea time to get my AB OSV but plan to pull a few trips to get back in the saddle before I go test for it.[/QUOTE]

You are new then, again. A lot has changed in 10+ years.

Try outside of Va…the gulf is doin pretty decent w the wages. Gulf wages are higher than Va.

[QUOTE=Vamariner;110078]I’m not new this I’ve just been away from it for about a decade. I’ve got enough sea time to get my AB OSV but plan to pull a few trips to get back in the saddle before I go test for it.[/QUOTE]

If you only have enough seatime for AB OSV, then you really don’t have meaningful prior experience.

However, if you have time for AB OSV now is the best time to go take the one week course to get it with Lifeboatman. You might want to consider also taking BST, and RFPNW (Lookout only). These things would make you a lot more employable at better companies.

just curious how much is the pay rate for OS/wiper ? if you work on OSV like Bordelon marine for example.

Didn’t you just say they offered you $145/day? It seems like you already know!

The best I’ve heard of for a OS is 170 a day. And that’s rare. I’d take anything even close to 150 if I were you.

Keep in mind that Bordelon has mostly <100T vessels. They don’t need your z-card, they just need a warm body and therefore they pay accordingly. Take the job, do your best and count sea days toward your AB.

He is just trying to figure out if they are discriminating against him for his ethnicity I am sure. If one person says they made/make more than the 145… he will start a fuss.

His mistake is he went to the Dept. of Labor site and is using some statistic there as if it were a “minimum wage”.

Likely what he saw was an average pay rate for the position for all industries and companies… and even length of employment.

That stands to reason that there are people making a lot more at that level… and others making LESS.

From his last posts… his nationality (not his ethnicity… difference) is what is holding him back from achieving higher license status. He has already been told that he will just have to bite his tongue… take what he can get for now and then upgrade when he is legally eligable. If 145/day isn’t acceptable… he can look at the alternatives… which for him is quite likely “nothing” since he has issues with work status/certification.

At that rate 28/14 (assume that’s his rotation)… he will pull in a little better than 35K/year. Not huge money… but better than zero. From what I see, there aren’t many places where he could do dramatically better… and of course there are other possible benefits such as health care, retirement…etc… that he doesn’t mention.

Message to Matadoro… there is no Government dictated salary rate for any job in this country… save for minimum wage laws… it is up to the company what they pay you (or if union… based on the union agreement with said company).

OS is making 380-400 a day here. But your going to work for it. Ive seen 5 come and go since May. :wink:

1 Like