Nyc dep

Does anyone know what the starting pay for an AB at the DEP? I heard they work 3 days a week. Just curious if anyone could tell me how things work there.

I don’t know, but as ithe DEP is a City of New York Dept. they must have a job description within the civil service system that includes qualifications, grades, steps, and a salary range. I met some DEP guys at a class; they seemed pretty happy.

Years ago they were Local 333 and IIRC, that contract was always less then what the Tugs made.

Their new sludge tanker is pretty nice looking.
Still, it’s a “shitty” job :slight_smile:

To add to my last post - There used to be a long waiting list to get on those Boats. Back in the 80’s it was quite common to get Tied Up (Laid Off) on weekends and holidays so guys would take the lower Day Rate in order to have the steady work.

As for the Shitty Work, I worked for the Dragon Lady on her “Ocean Disposal Tankers”, we would carry treated sewage out to the dump all of the time with the occasional load of Poison out to the 120 mile dump. Oh what fun that job was, NOT! The pay was pretty good as long as you did not mind being shot at being thrown in the long list of other “Stuff” that could kill you.

From what i heard there not 333 and they pay well. I wonder how the 3 day work week works.

I was lead to believe that it is a city civil service job. If so, its probably a city employees union job. With federal, state, and city income tax, and the high cost of living in NYC, it should be a high paying job.

It is a NYC civil service job. Pretty sure its a civil service union too. Not sure if you have to be a city resident. You do have to live close enough to commute though. My Dad was FDNY. Back then they worked four day shifts followed by three days off. Then three night shifts followed by four days off.

I worked on a tug towing their barges from 133rd street? Or 183rd street? to their facility in Bronx and spoke with the Tankerman about wages. You are correct about the rotations I believe it was 3days and from what I heard the Young Tankerman I spoke with was making around 350/day. As far as deckhand on their tankers, I have no idea but maybe the information I provided can give you an idea.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;127889]It is a NYC civil service job. Pretty sure its a civil service union too. Not sure if you have to be a city resident. You do have to live close enough to commute though. My Dad was FDNY. Back then they worked four day shifts followed by three days off. Then three night shifts followed by four days off.[/QUOTE]

You don’t have to be a city resident. I know a couple of guys working there, one lives on Long Island, the other in Westchester County. They work every other day.

As much as 1) I hate NYC and 2) moving sewage must be pretty awful, I have still always thought that those DEP tankers were pretty sweet looking boats. They are most definitely of another era, a time when boats still had nice lines and when their plans didn’t get spat out of a computer based on algorithms of how much junk the client wanted to carry for a given price. It would be nice to see smaller boats like that running up and down the coasts with small loads of product alongside the ATB’s doing the same thing.

Thanks Mr. Cavo. I knew the NYC residency was no longer in effect. Hell we moved to LI when I was a kid. Just wasn’t thinking.