Nuclear powered ships?

Well Harvard appears to be afraid that Asian students should show up their Caucasian colleges and prove the studies right:

It proves my point; Kanakas are better at surviving in a jungle than Harvard professors.
OK, not the same type of jungle, but still.

Norway commits to nuclear research on ‘limitless’ Ulstein Thor interest:

https://www.seatrade-maritime.com/sustainability-green-technology/norway-commits-nuclear-research-limitless-ulstein-thor-interest

That is quite interesting, but I have to take Norway pretending to be a super-interested in making a green new world with nuclear ships and electric cars with a grain of salt or maybe two grains as long as they keep selling North Sea oil. The day they shut off all those money-making wells I’ll know they are really serious.
Cool idea though, it is my understanding that this type of reactor is much less likely to make anything anyone would want to swipe for bomb fuel.

As soon as the US gets serious about doing something with their GHG emission, not going backwards.
I presume I don’t have to spell that out?
It has been celebrated in Fox News, so you must have noticed.

We are not bragging about electric cars, you all are.
USA and Norway are both making a lot of money from petroleum. You DO realize that just because someone hauls the oil away from Norway and burns it elsewhere doesn’t make it better, right?

Yes oil only turns to GHG when it is burnt, in whatever form and wherever it is done.
If Norway should shut down it’s oil and gas production tomorrow it would help a bit on worldwide GHG emission, but increase the price of oil and gas in Europe and beyond. (incl. the US)
Would the total oil & gas production in the world drop, or would the production be ramped up in other places?

It would help nothing like if you guys got serious about cutting down on consumption of petroleum products, being the biggest polluter per capita in the world.

Electric cars make sense in Norway since electricity is all from renewable resources.
From 2025 only zero emission cars will be allowed sold in Norway.
May not do much to the global GHG emission, but it is DOING something, not just blaming others.

Pretty much every country on Earth is all about cutting CO2 emissions as long as it doesn’t cost real money. Norway is a bit player in CO2, driving around in electric cars is a fart in a hurricane compared to the oil you export.
You aren’t any more serious than we are if you keep selling it.

You can play around with this interactive map to find out who are the big polluters, both in total and per capita:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/carbon-footprint-by-country
Or you can do something about it, like reducing your own “carbon footprint” by driving less:

In any case, this is getting away from the subject of Nuclear powered ships so we better end this here, or risk being shut down for being OT.

OK - back to nukes - the biggest issue BY FAR is the general public freaking out about anything nuclear coming to their town even if there is no chance it will hurt them.

One of our retired pollies (Australia) pointed out that the party he was a member of (labour) would never consider nuclear power because

“We would never get it past the women’s vote”

1 Like

I believe that was about building nuclear power stations in Oz, not about nuclear powered ships visiting your ports.

Now the politicians are ordering nuclear powered submarines for the RAN.
How long before they will order nuclear weapons to arm them?

AFAIK they are getting hunter-killers, not boomers.

• that means they shoot torpedos at ships, not missiles at land targets :wink:

OK, in that case maybe nuclear torpedos?:

Fox News = Faux News. It is the propaganda branch of the American Taliban Party. Anyone who quotes or uses Fox as a source is instantly suspect in way of intelligence and credibility.

It’s not “bomb fuel” we need to worry about, it’s any radioactive material that can be disintegrated and scattered by a “dirty bomb”. Think of it as shrapnel that continues to kill for a few thousand years.

I have a photo somewhere of me sitting on a nuclear torpedo. The plaque on it explained it was a suicide device, the lethal blast radius was greater than its maximum range!

Except when they shoot torpedo tube launched cruise missiles such have been around for the past 30 years or so and are being further developed by several nations.

The answer to that probably belongs in the ‘Understanding China’ thread, or perhaps a new thread ‘Understanding the Threat that is China’ would be even more appropriate.

Back to the topic, I hope they can figure out this thorium reactor concept for ships and beyond. Reading up on it, it seems metallurgy is one issue that’s in the way due to the high temps involved and the way that alloys react to being irradiatied over time. Hopefully they can figure out a solution.

1 Like

Not so sure if China has any interest in taking over Australia.
They were there long before the Dutch and the British:

It is said that when they returenes from their voyage they reported to the Emperor that they had found the fabled “Land in the South”, but it was not fit for human inhabitation? (No jokes please)

Oh, I see from the article that they found uranium, not bad for the 1400’s. So they could have had nuclear power to power their giant junks the size of aircraft carriers carrying their loads of prostitutes, sex toys, goats and crops. Very clever the Chinese of that time.

Don’t know why the “establishment” won’t take this guy seriously

And
Even if Australia wanted them, I couldn’t see anyone giving us nukes.
Thats not a nuke, THIS is a nuke !