Norwegians in America

I thought the best way was to get a table for Julebord at the Theatercafeen !!

Yest that is a good idea, but you need an invitation from somebody for that.
Maybe try asking Jon Frederiksen if you can join his Julebord arrangement next year:

Beers with Jon years ago at the bar, Julebord at the Platou table.

1 Like

I have smelled it enough and witnessed enough people vomiting after eating it. Granted it was during a lutefisk eating contest, but regardless that odor is burned in to my soul.

Speed eating is a stupid sport in the views of most of the world. That is NOT how you enjoy a good Lutefisk dinner.

PS> I believe vomiting is a disqualifying offence in a hot dog eating competitions. (don’t know it the same applies at Lutefisk speed eating competitions?)

Good luck finding nokkelost anywhere these days in the US. However, it is identical as far as I can tell to Dutch Leyden cheese which a local farmer nearby Greenville SC ( where my wife and I now live) makes and sells at the weekly farmers market.

Nøkkelost:(Google translation; "Key cheese)

Source: Nøkkelost

1 Like

Thanks for the background on Nokkelost and Leyden Cheese- you learn something new all the time! This particular chain reminds me of my childhood - my Mom came to the US with her family to Brooklyn just before WW2 from area just outside Arendal. Grandpa and Uncle were sailors- moved to Queens and Mom married Dad who was a 1st generation American 1/2 Swede and 1/2 Norwegian who had just graduated from Ft Schuyler- so was a sailor himself. Lot of time has passed since then, and there is no Norwegian community in Brooklyn or Staten Island or Queens anymore. I still see or talk with my cousins in Garthe frequently though - apparently they are having a heck of a snowy winter. Can’t convince them to come to South Carolina to warm up for a while though. My Norwegian is pretty rusty and as my friends and family in Norway have pointed out- is pretty much how old people talk - which I guess is appropriate since anyone I try and use it with is pretty old ( me too come to think of it :open_mouth:)

godt nytt år!

To those who everyday fight the sea and the weather…
🇳🇴 I am the Norwegian Lady 🇳🇴
I stand here to wish all men of the sea safe return home
Source: Norwegian Heritage, History, Culture and Current Events | To those who everyday fight the sea and the weather.. | Facebook

The story behind the existence of this statue:

Anybody remember anything about this building in Brooklyn?:
Purchased by the Norwegian Government in 1943 and was known as the “Norwegian Seaman’s House”: