Norway is really awesome

Yes obviously it is. If it has EI XXX it is Irish registered and if G XXXX it is registered in UK. NAS appears to have a lot with those and other registrations as well as LN XXX, What is your point??

PS> Norwegian Cruise Lines are owned by a Malaysian family through a Hong Kong holding company. Their ships are registered in the Bahamas, operate worldwide and are managed from Miami. (No I don’t have a point)

you said Norwegian Airlines was not a flag carrier but it is.

French cabin crew working for NAS is threatening to go on strike:

Let’s hope the get a raise so they don’t have to sell their undies from now on.

You define flag carrier very loosely then. What is it??

Norwegian Air International, their long-haul subsidiary, is an Irish company with HQ in Dublin:

Apparently they live up to their billing as world’s best long-haul low cost airline:

PS> I’ve only made a return trip to Oslo on Norwegian so I cannot say anything about their international flight.
Nothing memorable one way or the other on those short (45 min) flights. Comfortable seats.

By literal definition, Norwegian is a flag carrier, but it’s not what is traditionally seen as a flag carrier airline; for Norway, that is still SAS even though the state gave up the shares.

I flew to Paris on Monday* and back on Wednesday on Norwegian. Got there safely on one of their 737-800s, but can’t say it was particularly comfortable. But then again, what airline is if you’re stuck in cattle class?

* I know what you’re thinking - it wasn’t me. As mechanical engineers, we were more interested in finding out how many bolts are required to keep the Eiffel Tower standing, but ended up at the hotel bar instead before we could break out our toolkit…

1 Like

I’ve flown with Bangladesh Biman back in it’s infancy, so there are no such thing as a bad airline after that.

Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA is a lot more complicated than you should believe from a small budget airline. It has subsidiaries all over the place and hire people from all over the world.
If you have the time and interest, here is a description of the web that has been spun:

If it is a “Flag Carrier” the question is; which flag??

Norwegian has some really good deals on certain routes. I think it’s a pretty good airline.

Of course I also said that about WOW, until it went bankrupt overnight and stranded Americans in Europe and Iceland.

pretty simple, if the aircraft are registered in Norway, then Norwegian law applies

1 Like

Correct. For an aircraft registered in Ireland and owned by an Irish company by the name Norwegian Air International, Irish law govern.
But what has that got to do with crew’s dress code and undies?

Well they sound like the result of a company masquerading as a national carrier, trading on your countries good name, and treating their employees like dirt. It would bother me if I were you, and it certainly does bother me when I see it happen in America.

1 Like

Cleary the Norwegian flag is a flag of convenience for aircraft, no rules

1 Like

I recently did a Nice - Oslo - Fort Lauderdale flight on Norwegian and found it no worse than many other carriers, no better than some. The price was good and the wait in Oslo was a nice break, it’s a world class terminal.

1 Like

I presume that depends on what you are used to. I haven’t travelled much through the present airport in Oslo, but being used to Singapore Changi Airport and other airports in Asia I’m not impressed.
Compared to Heathrow and a few other major European airports I presume it is OK. (I usually travel through Schiphol when going to/from Aalesund - Singapore)

Oslo is nice because it is not trying to be a shopping destination. The food was excellent, the service was good, and the people friendly. It is one of the better places to kill a couple of hours between flights.

Going to Oslo was not first on my list of stopovers but the flight was the best of the poor choices available at the time.

1 Like

It looks like there have been a major upgrade since last time I travelled through Oslo Airport (1-1/2 year ago) and more is planned:

To be and remain Europe’s best airport is quite something to aim for:

I must admit I had no idea that OSL was in the running.
(I DO know which airport have been voted “Best in the World” for many years though)

OK I take full responsibility for all wrongdoing, real or imaginary, by any Norwegian company anywhere.
I assume you do the same for American companies??

None of us are responsible for their actions, but we are responsible for giving them our business (money) and voting those into power who look the other way when the working stiffs of this world get shafted. It should bother everyone if you cannot make a living wage working in the transportation sector because of a race to the bottom.

2 Likes

Which is way cabotage laws are so important

2 Likes

Yes I agree, everybody in any industry and any country should be making a living wage for an honest days work.
But I would also caution about believing everything you read, even in presumably main stream press.
I traced the origin of the undies story back to The Sun, a sleazy British tabloid:

Watch the video at the end for the REAL source.

No doubt Norwegian Air Shuttle and it’s subsidiaries are using every legal trick in the book to keep their operating costs low, but I don’t think any serious institution have accused them of lowering safety standard, or paying less than the going union rate in their area of operation.

They have had their share of labour disputes, but name a European airline (or any other company) that haven’t. It is part of healthy Union/Employer relation in a labour market system that works.

You had me at THE SUN! God bless those working moms on page 3 :astonished:

1 Like

Just as an aside;
SAS pilots in Norway are on strike:

They want more predictable work schedule, similar to what Norwegian pilots flying for Norwegian Air Shuttle have.They also have 10% more in annual pay. So much for the awful conditions in NAS

BTW; NAS has increased the price for domestic flights in Norway to cash in on the misfortune of those who have to fly.
Maybe the are greedy pigs after all? (Or maybe just Capitalists??)