NOAA Info?

Got offered a job (AB)with NOAA, have asked a few other questions so far but still have a few more to those in the know…

The mixed tour thing; how does it generally work out over the year, for bene’s, pay, time off, etc?

I have been tentatively been offered a perm position on a vessel about 6 hours from my house(driving)… I know usually you do the “pool” first year but HR called me after I spoke with the XO and he apparently liked me and wants me aboard his ship…

I’m debating whether or not I should do the mixed tour over a perm position as it seems like I’d be able to spend more time at home on the mixed tour and still make decent money, as I presume I’d be on the ships more when they were working and not sitting around doing in-port maint as much…

On the other hand(if on the perm assigned ship), when the ship is at its home port I could hopefully go home every other weekend, and maybe even try to bank up some comp time as leave to do 3 day weekends on those ones I go home…

Then use the leave accrued for longer home periods… I’m a Navy vet so my accrual will be a bit higher starting out too…

Any inputs?

OH! and does NOAA ever send AB’s to its working diver course? I have a Thirds unlimited license, recent academy grad…

I know that I could make more money, get more time off, etc elsewhere, but the NOAA thing seems cool, and if I could get DP training, dive training, small boat handling, that’d all be gravy…

Plus its federal…

George,

Check out this link. Not sure how dated the info is but it should answer at least a few of your questions.

http://www.moc.noaa.gov/shipjobs/index.html

This link will give you a look at each of the NOAA ships and give you an idea of the mission.

http://www.moc.noaa.gov/

Hello there, I currently work as an AB for NOAA so I should be able to answer most of your questions. The mixed tour agreement is separate from you working as an augmenter or being permanent on a ship. To clarify I am permanently assigned to a ship [B][U]but[/U][/B] on a mixed tour agreement. The mixed tour agreement is something NOAA began a few years back to be able to move sailors as the fleet expands and contracts. In lean times signing this agreement makes you the first on the chopping block. In “fat times” it has no effect on you. I signed one (was told I had to) and regretted it ever since. They can put me on “non-pay status” at any time without notice. It’s a scary thing so if you can avoid signing it, do.

Everyone’s needs are different, I did not want to be in the augmentation pool as I prefer to be working as much as possible, when I joined a couple years ago all I heard was doom and gloom about the aug pool. Now I hear they are short handed and everyone is working…it expands and contracts, nature of the beast. As an augmenter, the minute the ship hits the pier, they generally send you home or off to another assignment, lately they won’t send augmenters to ships alongside. Next year’s sailing schedule will be slow, most ships averaging 100 sea days a year…keep in mind that number changes every week it seems so who knows…

While in port you are off on weekends and can go home when you want. Overtime is pretty much shut down while alongside fleet wide…fishing boats might be the exception but I am not sure about those. Comp time depends on your Bosun and XO…many XO’s don’t like it and don’t understand it, hence won’t allow it. I have a great XO and Bosun so I have no issue earning comp time but other’s do in the fleet.

NOAA will send you to working diver school provided you are permanent on a ship, you might get it as an augmentor but unlikely and not possible your first year. Again if your permenant on a ship they will send you without much begging.

The Fed benefits can’t be beat, money is not so great but when you factor in what the government shells out for your retirement, thrift savings plan match, medical insurance, ect,ect you’ll find pretty quick that the fed is the way to go. If your out looking only for money today (day rate type) and not concerned about tomorrow or retirement then NOAA may not be for you.

Like any organization it has it’s good’s and bad’s but overall it is a good organization. And, you may find yourself using that 3rd’s license with NOAA once people get to know you and your established although NOT and easy ladder to climb.

May I ask what ship your thinking about joining permanent? Knowing that I may be able to tell you more about that specific ship or direct you to someone who can.

[QUOTE=george44;52656]Got offered a job (AB)with NOAA, have asked a few other questions so far but still have a few more to those in the know…

The mixed tour thing; how does it generally work out over the year, for bene’s, pay, time off, etc?

I have been tentatively been offered a perm position on a vessel about 6 hours from my house(driving)… I know usually you do the “pool” first year but HR called me after I spoke with the XO and he apparently liked me and wants me aboard his ship…

I’m debating whether or not I should do the mixed tour over a perm position as it seems like I’d be able to spend more time at home on the mixed tour and still make decent money, as I presume I’d be on the ships more when they were working and not sitting around doing in-port maint as much…

On the other hand(if on the perm assigned ship), when the ship is at its home port I could hopefully go home every other weekend, and maybe even try to bank up some comp time as leave to do 3 day weekends on those ones I go home…

Then use the leave accrued for longer home periods… I’m a Navy vet so my accrual will be a bit higher starting out too…

Any inputs?

OH! and does NOAA ever send AB’s to its working diver course? I have a Thirds unlimited license, recent academy grad…

I know that I could make more money, get more time off, etc elsewhere, but the NOAA thing seems cool, and if I could get DP training, dive training, small boat handling, that’d all be gravy…

Plus its federal…[/QUOTE]

the Rainier…

[QUOTE=george44;52785]the Rainier…[/QUOTE]

Rainier huh?.. Yikes.

The good news is that they just came out of a year long major repair period so the boat should be in pretty good shape. The bad news is there are about 15 NOAA corps officers on board that refer to the bow as the “pointy end”. :wink:

Quick question again…
Is the pay rate based on a 40 hour work week? Like all federal workers?
I only as 'cause the NOAA wage scales have a day rate of 97 bucks listed; that to me infers that you get paid a straight 97 a day, over a 7 day week?
I assumed the 35K a year meant about 3K a month base, again looking at it as a 40 hour work week, and then when out on cruise/working weekends and time in excess of 8 hours are o/t?
Kinda confused on the matter by NOAA’s pay scale format… Otherwise 3K a month at 56 hours a week is pretty lousy, especially since as a 4 year navy vet I’d only be accruing 6 hours of paid leave a pay period…

Please note that this is a generalization of all NOAA Corps Officers. Judge individuals on their actions and competency; we all view things through our own personal bias.

I dont know much about what NOAA offers now,its been 20 plus years since I sailed with them,I was on the Malcolm Baldridge,a great ship and could not beat the traveling experience,went to places Ill never be able to go again,Maderia Islands,Iceland,Brazil,Cape Verde,lots of places ,thats just a few,I started as a wiper and made it up quickly,The rainer is one I never sailed but think well,back then they stayed pretty close to the coast,East,so not much advice on what your asking but NOAA was a great job.The Corp officers were pretty cool too,Different ships have different experiences,so good luck,

Hello,

Can anyone give me any insight on the NOAA Fisherman position? Is it mostly trawl gear, how much time is actually spend fishing? I did commercial halibut in Alaska for several years, but I really have no idea what to expect with NOAA research fishing. It can’t really be much like commercial. It Are there AB Fisherman and regular deck AB’s aboard, who stands watches, does ship operations, etc.?

Thanks guys.

To the fisherman.

In the aug pool it means you must be available to work 120 days per season. You are paid only when working. Federal time accrues only when working. You may find yourself augmenting on a ship in the shipyard and not actually sailing. Your OT will vary widely from plenty to none.

I am an engineer but I did watch the fishing ops. You may set out traps, or use bandit reels, or troll, depending on what the mission is. Otherwise you will also work typical AB duties. You will assist with deploying scientific equipment such as CTDs and bongo nets. And so on.

Permanent crew spend up to 10 months a year on a ship and that ship may or may not spend the offseason in its home port. Ask plenty of questions before accepting a permanent job. You will not be allowed to switch back for a year.

I am an augmenter and was sent to a hydro ship on July 11 while still in the shipyard. We have had nothing but mechanical issues since and broke down after 8 days at sea. When I leave at the end of the month I will have 8 sea days out of a 49 day tour. Almost no OT. So your comment about augmenters being taken off when the ship is pier side is misleading.

Thanks to all for the info. My thanks button appears only when it wants to. Hopefully, the Augs get at least the 120 days required, as it would be hard to survive otherwise.

They try to keep people working but like I said, sailing days and OT can vary so have a backup source of income in your off time. In fact, treat this job like the part time job it really is and take some other seasonal job because you will find it hard to make a living on what you get here.

What about your off time? Do they just call you when they have a billet for you or do you have to go somewhere and wait to have a chance of getting another ship?

You go home. You take personal leave and if you run out of that, leave without pay. You are sent your travel orders via email. The crewing person will contact you if a billet is available.

You can work other jobs if you are home during the off season.