No U.S. Bailout for Major Cruise Lines

I think the point everyone is making is that if they want to have a spot at the trough, they should have kicked a few bucks into the coffers. I think you’re going to see a few of the smaller companies go belly up just based on the stigma this whole episode has put in people’s minds about cruising. I certainly don’t want anything to do with going on one, but then again, I never have.

1 Like

Aren’t the workers in U.S. going to be unemployed anyway? If the cruise lines get bailed out by the government who is going to want to go on a cruise now?

Why not pay the laid off worker unemployment? If the cruise lines go bankrupt other investors can buy the ships and wait till business picks back up. Then the U.S. side can all go back to work.

2 Likes

On the contrary, we’all need to let this be just the start of our outrage at these fake ass qusi-US companies who thumb their nose at the US Treasury and US taxpayer during boom times and now come with their hats in their hand when times are tough… FUCK THEM… Let them go to their Liberian, Panamanian, and Bahama based flag states for the their god-damned handout!

8 Likes

@ Hawespiper:
Your enrage-ment blurs your vision and speech.
As far as I know/read none of the cruise-lines came with their hats in their hands to beg for a bailout, it’s our fearless leader who brought it up!

Obviously we don’t know what Mickey and Donny discussed!

Y’all have a wonderful day and stay healthy!

1 Like

BS. The American taxpayer contributes billions in port facilities for the cruise lines. The cruise lines employ very very few American taxpayers. The tourist industry, the hotel industry, and the airline industry will not go broke if the parasitic cruise industry vanished overnight.

The greatest direct contribution to America from the cruise industry is probably in fines related to repeated environmental crimes.

Using CLIA numbers to describe the cruise industry is like using figures from Organization Todt to claim they were good for the rebar and cement industries.

7 Likes

A minor cost of doing business while biting the hand that feeds them.
Houston taxpayers funded a state of the art $108 million cruise ship terminal next to the Bayport container terminal but the cruise lines had no use for it. None of them were dumb enough to add hours traveling up and down the ship channel to moor next to a container terminal miles from civilization. They continued to use the Galveston terminal with the historic district as a back drop and quick access to the Gulf.
The facility now sits abandoned, a sad monument to cruise ship fever.

6 Likes

Told you so …

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/489964-trump-asserts-power-to-decide-info-inspector-general-for-stimulus

2 Likes

Can anyone tell me why someone would want to make the destination of 25% of the stimulus a state secret?

Surely even the most befuddled among the cult members has to wonder what kind of corruption is afoot under the Republican banner.

3 Likes

We dont know the pit yet. Taxes from many govt are being increased as we speak

Not ONE Cruise Company, ever asked for a bailout. It was mentioned by US officials to include them. Maybe everyone should listen first before blasting an industry.

1 Like

Here’s something to read while you sip your Kool-Aid.

1 Like

Old news.

Do try to pay attention, Birdy.

I act my age.

1 Like

Again, your small minded brain, doesn’t understand that it was lobbyists from CLIA whom asked for bailouts for their members that are associated with the cruise industry. Not one of the majors (Carnival, RCCL or NCL) ever asked for any money. News writes only what gives headlines, not the actual truth.

I tried to get some kool-aid but you had chugged it all down already.

The cruise industry is to big to fail.
Bottom line if the banks don’t support the cruise ship companies the loss to the banks will be to great on the hundreds of millions loaded to build these ships.
They don’t need a US government bailout. They operate without having to pay US wages, or US taxes,
They employee thousands of workers from around the world.
If they need to get a bailout they can ask the rest of the world.

Alaska will hurt this year if the cruise ships don’t come.
Vancouver will hurt.
Seattle will hurt.

Support the infrastructure in the US which relies on the cruise ships.

The ships will survive.

The purpose of a lobbyist is to bend legislation to their clients’ advantage . CLIA’s members are the cruise lines. The members pay lobbyists to contact government officials and influence them to bend legislation their way. So how can you say the cruise lines never asked for money, if their lobbyists asked for it?

3 Likes

Do you support legalized corruption??. (which is what the systen allowing lobbyists,PACs and large corporate political contribution is)

Use your vote to get rid of this curse on the US political system!!

1 Like

CLIA has multiple types of members they support, Yes, one area is the actual Cruise companies. However, the lobbyists were speaking for the other segments they represent: travel agencies, Port Support systems, etc. Again, the Cruise companies in question never asked.