NMC says it's a glitch in their system, I said like Obama Care.....Hello you there?

I submitted my application for VPDSD on Oct. 2nd. to the New Orleans REC and received the automated reply that my application had been received and would be reviewed and forwarded.

When I checked back a few days ago the status of my application said Medical Certificate approved awaiting printing. So I called NMC to ask what was going on;.

I was told I didn’t have an application in process. I said yes I do, I have the email to prove it.[I] Sir, there is nothing here[/I]. Well whats this Medical Certificate awaiting printing.[I] Disregard that Sir it is just a glitch in our system.[/I] Like Obama Care??? Hello??? are you still there??? [I]Sir I suggest you resubmit your application… [/I]Which one?? my VPDSD or my Obama Care??? Hello??? you still there??? Your application Sir, tha’ts all I can tell you.

So if you think you have it going on, your better stay on top of it to make sure it really is…

Glad I’m not the only one that had that problem. I mailed my raise in grade to the REC in Long Beach during the “shutdown”. Checked back a while later and it said the same thing- “medical certificate, approved to print”. Good to know that my medical cert was on its way.

NMC emailed the following announcement to list-serve members and posted same on its website 10-22-13:

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/pdfs/mariner_online_application_status_10-22-2013.pdf

Well it might have not effected my application, but something did…

My application was received on the 17th and it still hasn’t left the N.O. REC ( or so i’m told by the nmc) for some reason. I’m starting to get worried myself.

It took the NOLA REC exactly one week to acknowledge the receipt of my application last month.

Does anyone else miss driving to the local REC and getting everything sorted out in a couple of hours? The RECs are still there. What kind of money can this be saving? It certainly hasn’t helped the process!

I do. At least with the REC your application and all assorted documents are vetted by the highly efficient (sarcasm) and ridiculously friendly (sarcasm) customer service agent.
I used to think that in order to work at the REC you had to get demoted. Like it was some form of bureaucratic purgatory. Can’t believe that I actually wished that I could have gone in and submitted my upgrade in person.

[QUOTE=Radiocheck;123506]Does anyone else miss driving to the local REC and getting everything sorted out in a couple of hours? The RECs are still there. What kind of money can this be saving? It certainly hasn’t helped the process![/QUOTE]

All of my QMED and lower level licenses were approved the same day and I tested. My original 2nd asst 1st and Chief were approved at the local REC and I tested a week or so later at the designated testing scheduled times.

I have found it easier to drive to the nearest REC. I live 3.5 hrs away from Miami. I find it takes 3-4 weeks on average just open it if I mail my apps in. If I drive it to the front door I save myself weeks and weeks of assache and waiting.

In '99, I mailed my application for 100ton and 200 ton mate to the local REC. I was approved in less than a week. I showed up the next day to sit. The examiners seemed put out that I didn’t go to one of the schools and take the exam there. I guess I interfered with their trashcan basketball game.

[QUOTE=Radiocheck;123506]Does anyone else miss driving to the local REC and getting everything sorted out in a couple of hours? The RECs are still there. What kind of money can this be saving? It certainly hasn’t helped the process![/QUOTE]

Yes when I first started I would drive to the Tide Water building in down town New Orleans, get there at 4 in the morning, wait in line in the hall way until they opened the door at 7. Get approved, test, have license in hand and be on the way back home by early afternoon. The last time I upgraded it took almost 2 months, between sending everything in, via there new stream lined process, testing, then them dragging there feet about printing my new license, which was just a sticker to put in this stupid little red book. Oh how we have progressed.

I was told by the NMC that Miami and New Orleans continue to have the longest delays in processing applications.

I always use Boston - and it’s in and out of there in 3 days max.

Baltimore has always been very fast for me as well and very close to the NMC. Takes only a day or two to get from Baltimore to WV.

Submitted an app by email to Boston on 10/19, cleared of safety/suitability/medical today. Not bad considering the shutdown.

Just to update, submitted on the 19th, issued today. Not bad given the shutdown.

Submitted twice and still nothing shows up on the website other than the medical certificate glitch. I just emailed them to ask if they lost it again but they haven’t responded. Glad you had better luck

They received mine in the mail on 9/18 but it didn’t get logged in and show up online until 9/25, was approved yesterday and mailed today.

I just called the NMC and was told my application that I filed the end of Sept and again on Oct 17 was just received at the NO Rec today. If there are no problems I was told the turn around time will be 6 weeks.

Submitted my raise-in-grade mid October. Got this in my email today- “Your application has completed the evaluation process and is approved for issuance.” Things seem to be moving again!