NMC on the right track

My hats off to the NMC. I finished my testing on Monday for 1600 Master and the new creds were in the mail on Friday. Some things given time do get better.

They didn’t help my dyslexia though.lol NMC

First off…Congrats on the upgrade! I’m in the process right now and will be starting testing round #2 in 2 weeks. Will be really happy to get it all behind me!

I totally agree with you about the NMC. When I used to have to deal with my (then) local REC it was always a nightmare. At one point I literally got so frustrated with them (one hag in particular that liked to screw me, and not in the good way!) that I literally told myself “Screw it…200t is all I’ll ever need”. I came to my senses a couple of years ago and started the paperwork/school/upgrade process again. I don’t want to jinx myself but I have had nothing but good experiences in dealing with the NMC. They have been very fair, courteous, friendly, reasonably fast, and most important they really seem to understand the human factor! I’m sure there are some bad stories out there as well but I think overall it has gotten much better, and personally it has gotten at least a million times better!haha

Sorry to be a bummer on this sunshine post, but I’ve got a couple of buddies that are getting screwed by NMC, as we speak.

1. A friend sat for her 3rd and it took just about 4 weeks to get it in the mail. Turned down 2 jobs waiting for it.
  2. Another buddy qualified for 500 Ocean. Yay, right? But guess what: they sent the MMC to him in the mail without his sitting for the exams! (No worries, he sent it back - but this isn’t the first time that NMC has done that and how many mariners aren’t as honest as my buddy?)
  3. And yet one more friend on the east coast just got approved to sit for 500 Ocean / 1600 NC and was told he had to take both the 500 and 1600 exams. It took him a week of explaining that these modules are EXACTLY the SAME and instead of 13 modules, he should only have to take 7.

Don’t get me wrong. I am thrilled to hear that NMC has a few folks that are able to actually read the regulations, interpret them correctly and in the process not screw over the mariner. But they are way far away from being a well oiled machine.

What?!! They must have them pre-printed and ready to send, that’s why they are so fast getting them out after testing (and before in some cases):smiley:

[QUOTE=Capt. Fran;28885]Sorry to be a bummer on this sunshine post, but I’ve got a couple of buddies that are getting screwed by NMC, as we speak.

1. A friend sat for her 3rd and it took just about 4 weeks to get it in the mail. Turned down 2 jobs waiting for it.
  2. Another buddy qualified for 500 Ocean. Yay, right? But guess what: they sent the MMC to him in the mail without his sitting for the exams! (No worries, he sent it back - but this isn’t the first time that NMC has done that and how many mariners aren’t as honest as my buddy?)
  3. And yet one more friend on the east coast just got approved to sit for 500 Ocean / 1600 NC and was told he had to take both the 500 and 1600 exams. It took him a week of explaining that these modules are EXACTLY the SAME and instead of 13 modules, he should only have to take 7.

Don’t get me wrong. I am thrilled to hear that NMC has a few folks that are able to actually read the regulations, interpret them correctly and in the process not screw over the mariner. But they are way far away from being a well oiled machine.[/QUOTE]

I heard about #2 the other day- it would be funny- if not for the delays involved:(

What if he wasn’t honest and kept the credential? :mad:

What is the current time frame for getting approval to test? I am submitting my paperwork next week for upgrade from 1600 mate to 1600 master.

The bookies in Vegas won’t even give you odds on that one!

Submitted mine in Sept, tested in Dec. If all your t’s are crossed and i’s dotted with no hickups they will probably tell you 10 to 12 weeks.

10-12 weeks would be very disappointing. I got my mate license two years ago. And, obviously, I have a TWIC card. I don’t need a new physical. I am not submitting any STCW courses. Just additional sea time, new pictures and a new drug test.

So other than an updated background check, my application should take 10 minutes of actual processing.

Sure glad I got that TWIC card!

[B]Here’s a good one. I had recieved my first MMC book in November 2009. Recieved the stickers when I passed Third Mate AGT NC in December. Recieved a whole new MMC book in Feb. this year when passed the Celestial test…our tax dollars at work…[/B]

[QUOTE=PMC;29423]10-12 weeks would be very disappointing. I got my mate license two years ago. And, obviously, I have a TWIC card. I don’t need a new physical. I am not submitting any STCW courses. Just additional sea time, new pictures and a new drug test.

So other than an updated background check, my application should take 10 minutes of actual processing.

Sure glad I got that TWIC card![/QUOTE]

Why are you submitting pictures, aren’t they using the photo from your TWIUC now?

Maybe I don’t need new pictures. My fingerprints have not changed. But the Coast Guard approval process last go around definitely aged me!

Steve are you a hoarder? That allotment of ink was supposed to last you awhile…