NI processing time

Six months plus.

[QUOTE=Kickasssailor;143433]Sent mine in on 9/18 via fed ex. Got the received email on 9/27. Approved printed and in the mail back to me on 9/29. Not sure why they were so quick on mine but maybe this will be their new trend.[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on where you took your class. I am still waiting and I got the initial email 8/5. All my stuff is good and I verified with NI that I was ok as far as taking the classes (being counted on the roster) for both Beier Radio basic and advanced.

They received my log book and sent a log book received email on September 22nd.
I got a Log book verified email on November 22nd, saying that my application has been approved and that , I will receive another automated email when my documents have been despatched.

There ought to be a class action lawsuit against the NI in the US to compel them to improve their performance and pay damages to DP applicants for unreasonable delay. They have signed up members in the US, undertaken to be the worldwide regulatory body for DP, and control who they say is qualified to do DP work in the US. Yet, they have failed to perform timely services.

where did you take your Dp basic and advanced class? I got an email saying the book was received on September 20 and have not heard anything back yet.

I agree. 8-10 weeks my ass. If i don’t get mine before next hitch that will be 2 hitches at a lower day rate than I could be earning. Thats a few thousand out of my pocket when I could be spending that money on Christmas presents and STCW leadership training.

They are not regulatory in any way, they are simply a certification agent that underwriters for the oil companies happen to recognize. There are no regulations that require DPO’s be certified at all…those are customer driven requirements.

It took them 8 months to process mine. It’s basically their own club and they can issue membership as they please.

I took both my classes at the ECO training center.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;148447]They are not regulatory in any way, they are simply a certification agent that underwriters for the oil companies happen to recognize. There are no regulations that require DPO’s be certified at all…those are customer driven requirements.

It took them 8 months to process mine. It’s basically their own club and they can issue membership as they please.[/QUOTE]

As a member in good standing of the Nautical Institute, who has taken a legitimate DP Induction course at an approved school (NOT Beier Radio), I am well aware of the facts that you mention.

While the NI does not have the type of government endorsement that the classification societies have, governments, no doubt at the request of the industry, have allowed the NI to act as a defacto regulatory body.

When one pays their money to the NI, enters the training scheme, and commits time, money, and effort to comply with the training scheme in exchange for the NI’s promise to provide the DP certificate at the end, the are entitled to have the certificate processed and issued with reasonable care and within a reasonable time. In short, DP applicants have a contract with the NI. The NI has breached that contract by failure to perform. Reasonably prompt issuance of the certificates is an implied term of the contract, even if not specifically set forth. The NI has also been negligent in its processing of certificates. “Private clubs”, for example colleges, get sued all the time. In America private clubs are held accountable. The NI can be sued in the US under both breach of contract and negligence theories.

State and federal consumer protection complaints against the NI and its approved schools are another possibile avenue of redress.

Received email on September 20. Got an email this morning saying I have been approved. Waiting on an email when they send out my book. Little over three months. Took basic with Maurice and my advanced at MPT. Way faster than I expected it to happen with what I been hearing.

Got my “Log Book Verified” email this morning. Just shy of 4 months for those who got stuck taking Beier because of their company or the lure of an inexpensive alternative.

I’ll be sending my stuff away soon, about ten-12 days needed and racking then up this hitch. Took my classes at ECO. Fingers crossed!

Gotta do my renewal in January. Fingers crossed. I’m not hopeful.

I know every person’s experience will be different, but here’s mine:

Basic: Beier '11 Advanced: Beier '13

Initial email from NI: 8/5/14
LB Returned email: 12/5/14-122days
Shipped DHL: 12/6/14
Arrived: 12/8/14

Just in time for CC. Whewww…

Haven’t heard anything since they received my book September 15. Going to call soon. So frustrating.

They don’t care. More importantly, they don’t have to care. No one will hold their feet to the fire. If you’re a yank in the the states, be prepared to be hosed. I’ve never been overly impressed with OMSA’s DP scheme, but maybe the NI needs to get some competition. If you are not planning to sail overseas, OMSA is probably good enough. Hate to say it though.

Has there been any news on OMSA’a scheme?

My book was shipped back to me (approved with the certificate) exactly two weeks after I handed it to FedEx to ship to the NI.

And when was that?

just got off the phone with them and they said “its in queue to be processed” and that was all i could really get out of them. they received it on september 8th, and said i should check back next year since they close on december 24th until january 2nd.

now i get to wait more and hopefully they dont find some little bullshit wrong with it and kick it back so i have to wait another 4 months. what a crock of shit.