Newbie/greenhorn

Hello all, long time reader first time poster!!

A little bit about myself, I amd 23 and live in MA, grew up on the water and have been a been fishing and boating both recreationally and commercially since I can remeber.
     I have a 50ton,STWC(bst), AB(sp). I work a crappy job on a passager ferry making nothing for pay and while the maritime industry is slow and hard to climb the later without a good amount of experience, I figured while I am waiting for a better job I mine as well take some more classes at the local maritime school.

I just singed up for Radar and ARPA in the next 2 weeks and am thinking of doing medical provider and medical PIC in Febuary. I am just looking to do classes that don't have a lot of prerequisites.

Here are a list of questions if you guys don’t mind answering.

1. Besides radar what classes stcw and non stcw that require recertification?
  2. In you opinion what othere classes should I be taking that I qualify for that look good on a resume.
  3. Going to the NMC tomorrow to upgrade to my 100ton, is there anything else I need besides 180day of seatime? My crp/first aid is up to date and so is my drug test and physical.

Med Pro is a good idea, you might want to wait on Med PIC until you need it, as the cert will expire (I think) and you will have to take it again. You won’t need Med PIC until you are at the management (now C/M, Master and soon 1600 Master too).

The NMC has a bunch of checklists available for various licensing requirements, you should be able to find the one for your 100 ton upgrade on their site somewhere.

Save the money on the Med PIC and take celestial for an Oceans endorsement and look at taking GMDSS.

[quote=Jeffrox;23735]Save the money on the Med PIC and take celestial for an Oceans endorsement and look at taking GMDSS.[/quote] I have a good amount of money put away and I want to put it twards classes so that isn’t and isssue, I think the only class I want to take that needs recerts is radar, does anyone knows if MED PIC needs a recert? If it does ill wait till I need it, if it doesent ill take it.

As far as ocean go, I only have an 50 soon to be 100ton inland license so thats what I am asking what classes can I take that do not have many prerequisites .

Does GMDSS have prerequisite? Also what do you think about bridge resource managment?

You’ll have to have GMDSS and BRM if you want to sail on anything beyond 100 ton boats. BRM is a STCW required course, and everything over 300 tons (am I right?) has to have GMDSS. No one will hire you without it. You’ll need the FCC GMDSS license AND the STCW GMDSS course. Most places combine the two into one course. It is a suckass course, because there is no frame of reference there for the mariner. Unless you’re a radio geek it is all gobblety-gook from day one. But you have to do it, we all did, and anyone can pass. It is hard though.
<input id=“gwProxy” type=“hidden”><!–Session data–><input onclick=“jsCall();” id=“jsProxy” type=“hidden”><input id=“gwProxy” type=“hidden”><!–Session data–><input onclick=“jsCall();” id=“jsProxy” type=“hidden”><input id=“gwProxy” type=“hidden”><!–Session data–><input onclick=“jsCall();” id=“jsProxy” type=“hidden”>

The only prereqs I know of for [U]most[/U] courses is $$$. GMDSS, Celestial, BRM have no prereq; BRM is a good one to take. If you’re looking at “moving on up like the Jefferson”, then take all the classes required for 1600 mate/3rd mate.

i think Brm only is good for a year before you put it into the coast guard, GMDSS has no expiration and has no prerequisite other than the 4 hour class for element 1 radio license, you can to http://www.fcctestonline.com/ to study gmdss is element 7 600 question to study 100 question test, must be taken at a school

you can not get an oceans on a 100-ton so i would not do celestial yet, that class is only good for 1 year before turning it into the coast guard so unless youa re going for a 500 ton mate or master license than it is usless

you might want to sit for a 200 ton mate if you have the tonnage, you can upgrade to 200 ton master without testing again only a 1 week class, then do you oceans if you like

good luck

IMO, the BRM managment course may be the best one to take, but if you are willing to do it, and can pay for it, take all that you can my friend

sorry, BRM managment is akin to saying PIN or VIN number

Advanced firefighting!

Hello Jeff;

Before i start tossing "ya gotta have’ class suggestions at ya I think its a good idea to know what you want to do in the next 1-3-5 years.

So ask your self this:

can you stand being away from your gf for weeks or months at a time and only be on land for another 2 weeks or month before leaving again?

Inland, Lakes, GOM/oilfield, NC, African oilpatch or Deep Sea?

Do you want motors, decks or bridge?

If you aim at nothing youre bound to hit it. So my suggestion would be determine what you want to do first then go do it. There is no since taking a $1400 GMDSS course ($495 at youngs memorial in MC,LA) if you want to work as a career AB/Crane guy. Iv meet lots of those guys in the GOM. They make $280-$350/day and are just fine with doing that.

Personally I have no desire to be in a hot greasy noisy motor room or climb the chain up to an unlimitted tonnage mate. It is MUCH quicker for me to go <1600 ton because of my past sea service and personal plan.

I will make a prediction though: at age 23 a year can be an unbearably long time. Trust me when I say this. I have a 21 year old daughter and spend lots of time with her and her friends. Add the gf factor and many an able lad’s plan has hit the rocks because of pussy. On the bright side, after 20 years of shitty jobs and family responibilities life has a way of beating imatience out of a guy though.

So what do you like to do?

Good luck.
Bob

[quote=dougpine;23739]You’ll have to have GMDSS and BRM if you want to sail on anything beyond 100 ton boats. BRM is a STCW required course, and everything over 300 tons (am I right?) has to have GMDSS. No one will hire you without it. You’ll need the FCC GMDSS license AND the STCW GMDSS course. Most places combine the two into one course. It is a suckass course, because there is no frame of reference there for the mariner. Unless you’re a radio geek it is all gobblety-gook from day one. But you have to do it, we all did, and anyone can pass. It is hard though.
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!–Session data–><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden><INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!–Session data–><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden><INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!–Session data–><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>[/quote]
I’ve heard PMI’s GMDSS is the toughest in the country! Taught by a salty Radioman.

[QUOTE=bob;23759]…many an able lad’s plan has hit the rocks because of pussy…[/QUOTE]

Very funny…

Might be the most true statement said on gCaptain ever.

So… Like… How much time do you spend with your daughter’s friends?

It is taught by a very good instructor, Kurt Anderson, and his passing rate is up over 90%. He holds the bar high, which I like. He has high standards, but he is also interested in seeing that his students learn the material and pass the course. I’ve seen him stay here on his own time until late at night, and on the weekends, to work with students who needed extra help. You come out of his class with knowledge as well as a certificate and FCC license.

Ah, another Alabama boy…:stuck_out_tongue:

isn’t BRM requirement fulfilled by maritime academy graduation? also basic & advanced fire fighting, as these are all done at the various academies as well.

Thank you everyone for your input. Though I don’t know where my next job will take me…ferry, tug, ship, small cruise, crew boat I think before spring I am going to take radar,arpa, med pro, med pic, advanced fire, BRM. I think no matter what coursemy carrear takes me all of these will look good on a resume and good to have especially med pic which I found out does not need recertification!
keep the input coming!!!

guys,… it’s tooooo early.

:cool: