New Regulations for OSV

I have heard from several different people in the OSV industry that new regulation is coming sooner than 2017. That among these changes there will be a Chief Mate OSV. This will allow large OSV operators a ladder to UL Master.

I know C. Captain will say it should be a restricted UL master but maybe it would be. I won’t judge it until I can read it.

Does anyone have any input to share on this? Or can you share if you have heard what other regulations may come down and how you think they will impact the OSV industry.

what did the rulemaking say? All I saw was that it involved an additional mate and engineer for OSVs over 6000grt but I recall nothing regarding a new license structure?

I am also fuzzy at the moment but believe to get a UL master you must still hold a UL chief mate’s license first but can now use time as effective chief mate on an OSV over 3000grt but there is no cross over yet for a 1600/3000ton master to jump to UL master directly. I hope this is correct? Please confirm this oh great and wise JDC? If this is the case then a 1600/3000 master must still get a UL license before he can go that track which I expect not too many will do was long as they can get the endorsement to 10000ton OSV without all the testing. Why bother when the license is good enough to make huge money better than a UL merchant vessel would ever pay?

Frankly, I have pretty much accepted the reality that the USCG has rolled over the demands of OMSA and am not going to expend massive amounts of my vitriol on this anymore. The die is cast…so be it!

[QUOTE=Number360;144966]I have heard from several different people in the OSV industry that new regulation is coming sooner than 2017. That among these changes there will be a Chief Mate OSV. This will allow large OSV operators a ladder to UL Master.

I know C. Captain will say it should be a restricted UL master but maybe it would be. I won’t judge it until I can read it.

Does anyone have any input to share on this? Or can you share if you have heard what other regulations may come down and how you think they will impact the OSV industry.[/QUOTE]

C/M OSV is clearly not UL C/M. Unless you are holding an UL C/M license while you are working aboard the OSV Unicorn in capacity of C/M OSV, it is not a direct path to UL Master. This is not a cock measuring contest, it’s just a logical observation.

We all know what the CFRs say at this point about 2nd in command where there is not a specific C/M on the COI. Dead Horse.

You can not get an UL Master’s license without holding an UL C/M license, which is obviously not a C/M OSV.

The ladder to UL Master is already there over 1600 GRT, it’s called tests and classes, used to just be classes.

Impact on the OSV industry… drive down wages for mates and engineers b/c big licenses will be like Starbucks… one on every corner

Dear Johnny,
This thread was not created as a dick measuring contest, so don’t worry about coming in last. It was created to have a discussion on what new regulations may be coming to the OSV industry. One of which I have been told will be using OSV time as C/M to test as U/L master.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/faq/pdfs/stcw_faqs_14_osv_endorsements.pdf

As stated above in the FAQ.

According to the NVic you can indeed get the license that way without being an ul/cm. we beat this dead horse last week.

I would like to not get stuck on this same subject. What other regulations has anyone heard of? I have also heard all new builds are going to require hospitals. Is the US going to formally adopt and implement ILO standards?

[QUOTE=Number360;144985]I have also heard all new builds are going to require hospitals…[/QUOTE]

Really, really, really, don’t want Boudreaux taking my temperature.

Everybody want something for nothing.

I can say this about hospitals…the last 3 newbuilds i have been on in the past 15 months or so…all did have hospital rooms.
Hopefully i dont have to deal with another newbuild, or seatrials,or fmeas,or swire, or any of that shit for a lil while, or im gonna
need the hospital as my stateroom.

If you have a 6000 mate and you sail for more than a year on a vessel over 3000grt and your sea time letter lists you as CM, you can bypass CM unlimited and go right to master unlimited. I’ll have to find that policy letter.
As far as driving down wages, there’s already 6000s on every corner, what’s the difference?

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;145031]If you have a 6000 mate and you sail for more than a year on a vessel over 3000grt and your sea time letter lists you as CM, you can bypass CM unlimited and go right to master unlimited. I’ll have to find that policy letter.[/QUOTE]

fine, then the entire licensing structure has been turned on its head and in now truly meaningless…give everyone UL master right from the gitgo and be done with it. I am sickened!

[QUOTE=Number360;144966]I have heard from several different people in the OSV industry that new regulation is coming sooner than 2017. That among these changes there will be a Chief Mate OSV. [/QUOTE]

No internet service in the cave?

It’s already here, has been since December 24, 2013. As others have noted, the OSV to Master unlimited question has been thoroughly flogged 'round here. You can find more about it here.

[QUOTE=c.captain;145032]fine, then the entire licensing structure has been turned on its head and in now truly meaningless…give everyone UL master right from the gitgo and be done with it. I am sickened![/QUOTE]

The regulations for getting Master unlimited were not chnaged. Whatever they allow has always been there.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;145031]If you have a 6000 mate and you sail for more than a year on a vessel over 3000grt and your sea time letter lists you as CM, you can bypass CM unlimited and go right to master unlimited. I’ll have to find that policy letter…[/QUOTE]

Let me know when you find it. I’d like to see it.

Will this sickness lead to death or will you linger and make our lives miserable?

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;145062]Will this sickness lead to death or will you linger and make our lives miserable?[/QUOTE]

Well, I relish in making all you GoM mariners feel unrelenting lowerback pain, but if I have to go, I am taking someone with me! You wanna apply?

If they were doing this to phase out the 6000/10000 or whatever thousand program they have in the OSV world I could understand… But it doesn’t appear that is going away so it makes it easier to get an unlimited master’s ticket. You still have to take the 9 tests though.

you got that right captain! It sickens me to see OSV’s and ATB’s being called ships.

[QUOTE=OBXmariner;145084]you got that right captain! It sickens me to see OSV’s and ATB’s being called ships.[/QUOTE]

and FUCK YOU too! Because of large OSVs and ATBs there are no such things as American “ships” anymore and anything that would still be considered a ship has become irrelevant and might as well now be just manned and operated like a workboat. The entire manning or vessels and certification of mariners has been a complete giveaway to the owners, In no other nation do you find anything at all resembling this nonsense. The USCG is in violation of virtually all the conventions it has ever signed with the IMO. Everything that we have seen in the past 15years in this industry is for the benefit of owners at the expense of vessel crews. When the USCG rolls over for the owners, they get the benefits of being more profitable. What have the crews received in exchange? Do you just love to work 12hours each day when you could be working 8 and getting OT for the additional hours you put in? Easier licensing rules only make it easier for companies to find the mariners they need hence an ability to offer less in way of compensation and benefits. No such thing as a pension anymore when 30 years ago they were common. Gotta be a good reason for this but y’all are too stoopid to see the forest for all the fucking trees!

and Americans wonder why the remainder of the maritime world looks down on us as a bunch of morons?..it’s because we ARE!

Hot Dog! Language police. Anyway since the unions are disappearing the USMM has no representation in congress so we now need to find out in each state which representatives are in favor of US shipping and the preservation of it. It’s all a load of talk until each merchant marine goes and writes his/her representatives and goes before local and state government to bring continued awareness to our cause. This must be accomplished annually by large numbers of documented USMM. Unions had lobbyists and paid representation to ensure we have a voice where as the boys in the GOM with all their professionalism are still unknown to the average American. This needs to change. As for tonnage rules, what was wrong with the old rules. If a company built a boat that was outside the norm of their fleet personnel licensing the company applied for a specific waiver for their selected personnel to operate said vessel or vessels . This way it doesn’t change the current license rules. This is why the 3000ITC was created and later the 6000ITC . But I’m sure we all know this.

[QUOTE=c.captain;145086]and FUCK YOU too! Because of large OSVs and ATBs there are no such things as American “ships” anymore and anything that would still be considered a ship has become irrelevant and might as well now be just manned and operated like a workboat. The entire manning or vessels and certification of mariners has been a complete giveaway to the owners, In no other nation do you find anything at all resembling this nonsense. The USCG is in violation of virtually all the conventions it has ever signed with the IMO. Everything that we have seen in the past 15years in this industry is for the benefit of owners at the expense of vessel crews. When the USCG rolls over for the owners, they get the benefits of being more profitable. What have the crews received in exchange? Do you just love to work 12hours each day when you could be working 8 and getting OT for the additional hours you put in? Easier licensing rules only make it easier for companies to find the mariners they need hence an ability to offer less in way of compensation and benefits. No such thing as a pension anymore when 30 years ago they were common. Gotta be a good reason for this but y’all are too stoopid to see the forest for all the fucking trees!

and Americans wonder why the remainder of the maritime world looks down on us as a bunch of morons?..it’s because we ARE!

.[/QUOTE]

I know this has been covered, I haven’t paid attention. What’s the beef? Is it the C/M duties on an OSV are not comparable to a deep-sea C/M?