New Merchant Mariner - how to find a first job?

i just got my mmd and twic and ready to work, i was just wondering if you guys had some advice about when starting, or how to find a first job, because its not easy…thaank you for any information

The best way to use the gCaptain forum is to get very familiar with the search tool. Browse the forums, and you’ll find almost every question you have has already been answered. If you then need more help, pop in and ask SPECIFIC questions. There is little for us to work with from your post. Help us to help you and you’ll be much better served.

We are looking to include an “entry level” section to our Job Board… so stay tuned.

I have a 1600 ton Master, oceans w/towing and I have been out of work for a year! It’s tough in the industry right now and I think near imposible on the West Coast. I really need to go to work! Entry level might be easier. john, that’s great! The young guys trying to get in to the industry can use some help.

Hey boatahaulic. the job leads thread has a new post for a 1600 master out of Tampa, FL. and John, that is a great idea for the newbies trying to break into the industry.

[QUOTE=s_cheney85;42195]i just got my mmd and twic and ready to work, i was just wondering if you guys had some advice about when starting, or how to find a first job, because its not easy…thaank you for any information[/QUOTE]

What kind of work are you looking to do? Engine, Deck, or galley??? You could try the Mass Maritime jobshopper too…

http://www.maritime.edu/apps/jobshopper/findjobs.cfm