New Member Intro

Now I get my first chuckle today. Hang out as long as you like sir. My callouses are long gone, but have a clue what you guys do and got dirty alongside my engineers… Saved my ass many times. There are many on this site that welcome you, and can learn from each other. Nice to have you on board.

1 Like

Yeah, Marine Systems out of Houma. They might even still be around. I believe that they are a Kirby company. They are probably one of the best out there. I have worked with the Stewart & Stevenson bunch, too. I found Marine Systems to be better. But, of course, it HAS been awhile.

1 Like

Stewart & Stevenson was the other ones I was trying to remember. Seems like Marine Systems did the lions share of the work.

You remember correctly SeaEagle, in the gulf there was S&S, and MSI.

There was also EMDSI (Ralston Cole’s departure from S&S) in the gulf, Inland DDA on the river and Great Lakes, ESI on the east coast and Valley Power Systems on the west coast.

MSI and ESI are still there/here in the EMD game, the others have shifted gears, gotten absorbed, etc and no longer play in the EMD world.

I also dealt with PRECO, out of Houston, but that was for some ALCOs. Later, once I came ashore to work for ABS, I found out that PRECO also does EMD work, and even “certified” some locomotive to Marine conversions. Hatch and Kirk also does those conversions, but not sure that it is big business for them, and not sure if they follow up with service work onboard.

Perhaps you are thinking of BRECO (Billy Rogers Engine Co.) they are the aftermarket ALCO guys, might do some EMD work on the side.

H&K still do a little parts for the A/B crankcase EMD’s that are “stuck” with some 567 only parts that EMD discontinued many years ago but I have not heard of them on the waterfront doing any work in many years.

Wasn’t Preco on Harrisburg Blvd? It was called something else back in the '70s. It was go to for 567 and 278A parts.

Haha - now that it was mentioned twice it did jog my memory.

They did exist (PRECO) have not heard the name in years…likely Gone.

Anyone remember DEFCO - they would take rail engines and re-stamp them as marine. Still some out here on the west coast.

1 Like

It is a bit more involved than just stamping them. Back in my ABS days, I stamped a few after the conversion. DEFCO does sound familiar. I may have spent time in their shop, but hell, that would have been a long time ago. PRECO did the ALCO work in the Robin boats at Fredeman’s Shipyard for Crowley back in the 80s. I still remember loosing that hat. Blown off of my head in the Houston Ship Channel. . . .

welcome aboard brian, the political bs is usually pretty easy to avoid and is so prevalent everywhere that avoiding it is a joy!