New Law Allows Patriotic American Superyacht Owners to Finally Fly U.S. Flag

What is likely to apply? I have no idea what, if anything, is being planned for mega yachts. My experience running a few yachts dates back to the days when 150’ in length was considered big.

When I was interviewed for the jobs, the owners asked about the type of license I held and their insurance company were provided copies and had to approve. They’re not fools. And neither is the CG; if a registry is created for mega yachts, I’ll bet you a jelly doughnut to a fruit danish the licensing requirements will be more stringent than for under 300T.

You really don’t have to use every thread to thumb your nose at "stupid Americans".

2 Likes

I saw her again. Just after I snapped this picture I saw what I’m sure was Mr. Washington, strolling down the quay, by the pizza shop with a buddy. I was too stunned to ask him if he was himself and if he planned to re-flag Atessa IV. Sorry.

She certainly has a lean and hungry look, even with the layers of whipped cream on top.

Thanks for the image – I was disappointed that the article didn’t have more outside views.

2 Likes

Love the Shakespearean reference. . . …

The Jones Act does not apply to pleasure boats as long as they stay that way. I had no trouble getting my Canadian built boat documented on the US registry, but right on the paperwork it says something like “pleasure only, no fishing or coastal trading”. I don’t have the paperwork in front of me, the wording might be off, but the Jones Act won’t come into play unless I tried to be a 10 ton freighter or something.

Question: I vaguely recall some enterprising individuals with no ratings of any kind that had an old freighter just over 300 tons who had a charity operation taking relief supplies to the Caribbean after a hurricane. To them it was just a big old boat, no different than an old Bertram, just a bit longer. The USCG in Miami stopped them and told them they needed to go get a licensed crew to keep going and they were trying to get around the rule. Not sure if they ever did, this was years ago, but would this new rule have allowed them to not need ratings since they weren’t a commercial operation???

This is a GREAT!

Not a good comparison. Bertram is known for its 35 foot sports fishing boat which would admeasure under 25 Tons. The largest they make is 50’ and neither one looks anything like a freighter.

There was a discussion on this forum some time ago about the captain of the whale watching ship, Watson? and I think the consensus was that the ship didn’t carry paying passengers and therefore was considered a private yacht and didn’t require a licensed master.

I have more outside views.

Now… how to get myself some inside views. Aye, there’s the rub.

2 Likes

You’ll have to leave your steel toed boots on the dock so make sure you wear clean socks.

Its my dream to go barefoot in the engine room. Socks can go in the garborator.

The point was the crew of the freighter were just some random guys that treated it as a large powerboat, thus the Bertram reference, not that it looked like one.

Dennis Washington is a railroad baron and billionaire from Montana. He also happens to own that very Canadian maritime company —- Seaspan.

Unlike many places in the world, we still have a bit of freedom left in America. US flag yachts that do not carry passengers for hire under 300 GRT (about 750 GT) do not require any inspections, or licensed or certificated personnel. Anyone can operate them with no certificates.

I believe that only the Master must be a US citizen. Legally, when in the US any foreign crew must have Green Cards or US crew visas. There is a limit on how long foreign crew can work in the US on crew visas. As I vaguely recall , once the US flag yacht goes foreign, it can hire all foreign crew except the Master.

In the past it has been very common for foreign crew who could not get visa renewals to work on US yachts illegally. I recall one blond, blue eyed Brit who had to leave when his visa expired, but returned by walking across the Mexican border and was back onboard within a week.

US flag yachts can be built anywhere, and many of them are, or they can be reflagged from foreign flag.

The Jones Act only applies to vessels engaged in the coastwise Trade. Yachts are not engaged in trade. I believe it is fairly easy get Jones Act waivers to carry up to 12 passengers. I’m not up to date on this.

Obviously most other developed countries doesn’t have the same freedom to operate large yachts without some form of maritime training and certification.
Here is a link to the UK requirements:

I’m not sure if underwriters and/or foreign Maritime Authorities will accept a Mega Yacht to be manned by amateurs, even if it flies an American flag.
Here from UK MCA MSN 1858:

[quote]
2.2 The Master (code vessels less than 200 GT) OOW (yachts less than 500 GT) Certificates of Competency are not mandatory. Seafarers serving in UK code vessels using MCA-recognised RYA/IYT qualifications have found that some overseas Administrations do not recognise those qualifications. To overcome this problem, holders of an RYA Yachtmaster Offshore, an RYA Yachtmaster Ocean, IYT Master of Yachts Limited and an IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited certificates may apply to upgrade to Master (code vessels less than 200 GT) OOW (yachts less than 500 GT) Certificates of Competency on a voluntary basis.

Here is a guide to the Norwegian requirements for yachts over 24 m. loa (and most other European countries):
https://www.sdir.no/en/recreational-craft/certificates/certificate-for-deck-officer-class-5-pleasure-craft/

No limit but the size of your wallet in the U S of A. Take a trip to Miami sometime and you get the idea. Not so much a WAFI problem as it is a PAFI problem.

2 Likes

The yacht I worked on had some form of hard foam backed fake carpet in the engine room, you had to take your shoes off to go into the engine room. Std Dutch stuff

1 Like

the brits did a huge fudge to get over the problem, upgrade to a commercial yachtmaster by doing a bosiet and gmdss