New demand for very old farm tractors specifically because they're low tech

That’s ever so slightly misleading. Take the intermittent duty rated versions of the Yanmar 6LY as an example:

The 6LY2 (Fully mechanical, old school) makes 440 bhp.
The 6LY3 (Electro-mechanical pump) makes 480 bhp.
The 6LY-440 (Common rail) makes 440 bhp.

They all have the same specific fuel consumption, and according to people in the know, the CR version struggles to make its numbers. This is mainly because Marpol V and its RCD hellspawn has forced them to retard injection timing to meet NOx limits, handily negating one of the chief benefits of electronically controlled injection (improved ignition lag control allowing you to push the timing envelope).

If it played by the same rules, the modern version would blow the old ones out of the water by a handy margin.

the are forced by federal regulations to prevent users from altering the emission standards of the engines and now that they have one magic box running everything they lock you out from everything.

yes the nox and particle pollution rules have knocked them back,
petrol engines was what I was really referring as they have gained in all areas

No, as the article itself shows, demand is waning for tractors that can’t be repaired by owners. Should demand fall enough and impact manufacturer’s profits, they will adapt or lose customers to the competition. The (somewhat) free market is great that way.

No diff with farm tractors, forestry equipment or trucks. An 07 or earlier heavy spec tractor that’s correct spec brings 2/3 of new right now, long list for gliders if you can even get one. We bought a T4-120NH with Def, cant work on it, cant touch it really. Dealer service was like 2400 bucks. I’m headed up north to look at a back up cable skidder this weekend, 640D Deere which was the LAST before all the computer nonsense, add fuel and go. Problem is when people talk “tractor market” it’s so broad, less than 50hp brings as much as a 70 due to the weekend warriors, you can buy a nice 150hp in PA pretty decent, again alot of it is regional. We had a 6614? NH, 100hp, it was kind of odd, manual trans but earlier electronic, started fire in the hay field and my father saved it, regretted that he did. Dealer couldn’t even get a complete harness for it and it was a 10-12yr old tractor. It went back on that T4, made it’s way thru the circuit of shady tractor dealers, sits 20 miles from me now, I just turn my head when I drive by it. :rofl:

2 Likes

The overseas market is cleaning up all that stuff as fast as it comes for sale. I had a pretty clean CL600 tractor I sent over, guy didnt blink and paid in 100s. Theres alot of R-models around but getting less, correct axle spec, depends where your shopping. I grew up with a 68/71/72 that was built into a log truck, 237 with a 2 stick, not seeing that stuff much except sitting on a landing anymore. We have 1 mack left, 06 613, 20/46 13 w/460, took me a little while to warm up to it but that’s a BAD truck pulling stupid grade with a 445 Timbco behind you.
20170420_145114
Old lowboy I had, moving tugs and barge sections while I was home on a local project.

Looks a lot like my 35 ton Witzco.

That’s a 40ton Roger’s ground bearing. Was a good trailer, went to a guy in western NY. It was orginally a NY state spec trailer, it unhooked both ends and I believe at one time ? Someone had a 3rd flip and beam for it, you could unhook the deck off the back in 30mins easy.
Bought that newer Rogers out of a dealer near Philly, I really need something with 26’ of well at somepoint down the road. 20181112_164642_1542073702580_001

This is one of the arguments over hitech that I have been making for years.
Don’t get me wrong, I love efficiency and all the creature comforts. Only things is is that when those systems go down, Good Luck and Game Over.
The example are hitech trains.
Although very efficient, quite, fast and comfortable all you need is for a chip or module to go down and all you have left is a very large and expensive paperweight.
Old trains, as opposed to modern trains, those old trains left over from the days of British colonialism in India are STILL in use today.
They stop and breakdown, a engineer gets out, bangs it with a bigger hammer, gets back on and off the go.
There is something good to say about low tech, It Works!
Now I’m sure that india has done many upgrades to there rail system, but I think you get the point.

unbelievable … the post on bmw no dip stick … what if you’re down 2 or more quarts??

It is ze user’s responsibility to make sure zis nefer happens!

Seriously, that would be covered by the drain and refill step.

When the computer readout showed 1 square out of 5, I added half a quart expecting it to show a couple of more squares but it went to 5 so it’s very sensitive.

I am sure some engines are going to be stressed over this bs … they build good engines, no doubt good for 200K plus miles and the electronics are not going to outlast the engine. I wonder if they actually save any money by eliminating the stick?
btw … I eagerly await more in line 6 cylinder engines.

I can’t fathom why they would get rid of the most reliable method for checking engine oil level. Like you say, the engine will outlast the electronics. The electronic displays in that 10 year old car are now so obsolete they look like something out of a Buck Rogers movie.
Inline sixes are now an option with turbocharged 4 bangers producing 240 horses being standard.

What do you mean by most reliable? If 1000 people check the oil in a single car how will they do compared to the sensor? Or 10000 cars over 10 years how often will low oil level be caught by dip stick vs sensor method?

My guess is the electronic sensors will do better by either measure.

Electronic displays fail, sensors fail. Dipsticks don’t. Therefore they are more reliable.

1 Like

My grandfather always had John Deere equipment for his tobacco allotment and growing food for his family. His last purchase was a Ford tractor, was reliable and could make repairs as needed. He has passed. my mother and her brothers traded that and purchased a kick ass Kubota. John Deere is handcuffing the big farm owners with much larger equipment on the maintainence issues, read all about it. You know ,everything on the internet is true. LMAO

In California the air resources board will pay 80% of the cost of a new tractor if you trade in a zero or one tier. Plus the new one can be 20% more horsepower.
But my 2008 Dodge diesel 2500 will not be able to be registered after 2023 even though I only have 90,000 miles on it. No DEF. We did get a 50% discount on our electric bill because of the taxes from California’s cap-and-trade auctions. All of this not good enough for me to wish to be away from here.

1 Like

its not the dipstick thats the issue its the person looking at it or not.
The dipstick is not telling you anything when your are in the seat and driving

Owners’ handbooks recommend checking the oil everytime you add fuel but how many people do it?

No argument there. Most late model vehicles I have experience with have both. An electronic indicator on the panel to indicate that the level or condition of the oil needs attention and a dipstick to allow the operator to visually confirm.
False indications on electronic displays are a thing. For that reason, I don’t trust them 100%. As an aircraft pilot I place a lot of value in early warning and backup systems. I’m also a fan of the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid. If that makes me old school, I’m ok with it.