Need advice about towboat engines!

Ok, I use to work on line boats. The boat I was on 12000 horsepower. I didn’t learn anything about that boat. I was a 1st mate and that’s what i wanted to be. Anyway, I was tired of being gone for 28 days at a time so i transferred to the fleet. I’m on a 1550 HP tug. They want me running mate on there but part of the job is engineering. Well, I.learned how to change air, oil, and raycor filters. I learned my walk through, and i learned how to fuel but how do I reset an engine? Are there any good tips or any advice anyone can give me to help me out? I wanna be a good fleet mate for the company. Thank you :slight_smile:

“reset an engine” ??? What kind of engine? Whats wrong with it? Why does it need resetting?

It doesn’t need to be reset but if it ever does need to be ill know how. Its cat engine. 775 HP. Basically I’m just seeking out any advice at all about engineering. Not only reset an engine but I want advice on things to look for in an engine room etc. =]

Still need engine particulars…model # would be a start

[QUOTE=harddown&hookedup;69368]Ok, I use to work on line boats. The boat I was on 12000 horsepower. I didn’t learn anything about that boat. I was a 1st mate and that’s what i wanted to be. Anyway, I was tired of being gone for 28 days at a time so i transferred to the fleet. I’m on a 1550 HP tug. They want me running mate on there but part of the job is engineering. Well, I.learned how to change air, oil, and raycor filters. I learned my walk through, and i learned how to fuel but how do I reset an engine? Are there any good tips or any advice anyone can give me to help me out? I wanna be a good fleet mate for the company. Thank you :-)[/QUOTE]

I only know one thing about diesel engines. Chief Al told me that if a diesel engine quits running 99% of the time it’s because it’s not getting any fuel. When I trouble shoot tractors here at the the old homestead (non-critical) that advice has always worked for me. Around here it’s dirty filters, water in the fuel and then it’s air in the fuel line.

Obviously there are forum members far more qualified then I to answer this question but as a deckie my ans is; focus on making sure the main engine and generators always have a supply of clean fuel. Engineers know this without anyone telling them. I’d get help from a real engineer before I’d dare eff with anything,

…Well, I know two things about diesels…check the lube oil before you start them. You probably already know that.

K.C.

Thank you so much. I was really sweatin this lol. Your advice is appreciated

Some models of Caterpillars have a baffle that shuts off the air to the engine if you use the emergency stop. You have to “reset” the stop button, then “reset” the solenoid on top while you are holding the baffle open.

Never walk away from an engine that you just started until you see the lube oil come up to pressure.

The five most important tools to an engineer are his five senses. Spend a lot of time in the E/R to learn the sights and sounds of the boat so you will know when something is out of the norm. I have found lots of problems because I caught things in my peripheral vision that set off alarms in my head.

Never be afraid to ask for help. The port engineer would rather answer a seemingly basic question than spend money replacing things.

Thank you for your advice as well! I’m soaking all this in :slight_smile:

Truer words have never been spoken. In my short time spent in the engine room, many problems have been detected simply because it didn’t “sound” right. Look for the cause and prevent a serious or catastrophic failure. If it doesn’t look, smell, or feel right, then it isn’t.

One thing to keep in mind, I think is that you’re not an engineer. You are outside your area of expertise. You don’t have the skills, training or intuition that an engineer develops. That means you should be getting specific instructions on what you are supposed to be doing. This is in contrast to your work as c/m where you are expected to have a deeper understanding of what you are doing.There are traps in engineering in that some things seem simple but are not and vice versa.

As above, check with someone who knows before getting in trouble. It’s easy to make assumptions with out realizing it.

K.C.

It isn’t just Cats that have a baffle for an emergency shutdown. Detroits have them, too (and they can play hell with gaskets when they shut). Sight, sound, smell and touch as stated are very important. As an engineer I was often so tuned in to what was going on down below, I could be awakened by a change that I would not otherwise hear. That is even aside from when the RPMs change when they shouldn’t.

Learn the starting system for the engines (air or electrical). If air, find out how to make sure you always have enough to start an engine. Learn how to start, whether there is a prelube system and how to use it. KPEngineer put up a lot of good information.

I’m not any kind of marine engineer… but I used to be an airplane mechanic(A&P). It’s always been my expieriance that most engines, airplane and otherwise, have manuals. See if you can get your hands on an operation manual, parts manual, and a service manual specific to your series of engines… These could be all in one, or several volumes. The factory manuals will have inpection/serrvice intervals, operating parameters, and most inportantly/hopefully a troubleshooting section. Just an idea. Good luck.

[QUOTE=bell47;69478]I’m not any kind of marine engineer… but I used to be an airplane mechanic(A&P). It’s always been my expieriance that most engines, airplane and otherwise, have manuals. See if you can get your hands on an operation manual, parts manual, and a service manual specific to your series of engines… These could be all in one, or several volumes. The factory manuals will have inpection/serrvice intervals, operating parameters, and most inportantly/hopefully a troubleshooting section. Just an idea. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

The MANUAL? Well, it is plain that you aren’t an engineer. The MANUAL is the option of last resort. . . . . It is my filing cabinet SOMEWHERE. . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;69493]The MANUAL? Well, it is plain that you aren’t an engineer. The MANUAL is the option of last resort. . . . . It is my filing cabinet SOMEWHERE. . . .[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about??? Manuals are great for propping open doors, making a footrest or building a little table for my TV… Heck, I’ve even read them on occasion when I couldn’t sleep.

I use them to figure out where all the extra parts go I always seem to have left over.