Navy Ship Collides with Tanker

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);79410 Really sounds like amateur hour in the bridge.[/QUOTE]

I’m sure it was worse than that but that blog has been online since the very beginning of this whole cluster-f**k and I don’t believe it is credible. It reads like someone’s deskbound imagination working on the first draft of a bad novel.

Ha, what a load of crap! I guess that all sounds great on a fitrep. May play I’m the pentagon, but not in the real world. How did navy officers fall so far from the likes of John Paul Jones ( who by the way was a merchant captain and ex British sailing master)

Umm, Captain? Umm, romeo is two blocked to starboard, sir.

Actually Captain John Paul Jones was most decidedly NOT a Master in anything of a British warship. He was pushed out of the midshipman program and left for commercial work. He was a perfect example of a ‘hawsepiper’ from a simple family, who struck out of the British Midshipman mold and became America’s first Commodore. cunning and old fashioned gumption!

John Paul Jones never served a day in the United States Navy. In addition to his merchant service, he served in the Continental Navy and the Imperial Russian Navy. He died in Paris, supposedly “in the saddle”, which would further bolster his merchant marine “street cred”.

Commodore John Barry, issued Commission Number One by President Washington, was the US Navy’s first Commodore. He was also a merchant mariner.

You could look it up!

W/R, cap’n george

Could be. Perhaps it was Decatur I had in mind. Either way. None of todays USN officers would make a pimple eithrer man’s butt of that I’m sure, you can look that up

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);79447]Could be. Perhaps it was Decatur I had in mind. Either way. None of todays USN officers would make a pimple eithrer man’s butt of that I’m sure, you can look that up[/QUOTE]

Some one is buried at Annapolis …

John P is. I guess the ultimate respect shown a hausepiper

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);79503]John P is. I guess the ultimate respect shown a hausepiper[/QUOTE]

John Paul Jones was a very interesting man although his life was short and riddled with disappointments, mostly due to his own perplexing personality. He was, by far, an excellent seaman. I’m pleased he was finally brought home and what better place than the US Naval Academy. I visited his final resting place in 1954 when I attended the Naval Academy graduation of my soon to be brother-in-law.

http://seacoastnh.com/jpj/burial.html

A very good book of that early US time period is called "The Macedonian ". A good read about the ship by the same name in the battle of 1812. Those guys ( US captains were generally ex-sailing masters having worked for the British) were indeed excellent seamen, with iron wills and abilities. The Macedonian was taken from the British and remained a US ship. In fact I think a part of it was or perhaps may still be located at the US Naval Academy. I’m almost sure Decatur was the master at one point. An interesting man himself. Some say a good candidate for president, but was shot In a duel by a jealous husband I think.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);79541]A very good book of that early US time period is called "The Macedonian ". A good read about the ship by the same name in the battle of 1812. Those guys ( US captains were generally ex-sailing masters having worked for the British) were indeed excellent seamen, with iron wills and abilities. The Macedonian was taken from the British and remained a US ship. In fact I think a part of it was or perhaps may still be located at the US Naval Academy. I’m almost sure Decatur was the master at one point. An interesting man himself. Some say a good candidate for president, but was shot In a duel by a jealous husband I think.[/QUOTE]

Truly the era of wooden ships and iron men. Often I wished I was born in that era, what seaman doesn’t, today doesn’t cut the right jib.
Would your recommended book be "Chronicles of the Frigate Macedonian?"
I once asked my brother-in-law, a 1954 Graduate of the Naval Academy, and a Navy Lifer, what he learned at Annapolis about the United States Merchant Marine, its history, unique culture, its slang, its daring seamanship, as it was from such men as John Paul Jones and Stephen Decatur, Senior, both former Captains in the Merchant Marine (the term “Master” was used by the British, somehow it found its way into American Maritime lexicon) which founded the Continental Navy and then the United States Navy. His reply, “not much.”

Such a shame that even in 1954 the naval academy didn’t know much about the merchant fleets and men that was in fact the basis of the American navy. Yes, indeed the British coined the term " sailing master" and is why we still use the term master today. In years past the British captain or admiral may well be a political appointment from a wealthy family. When he was off the ship jumping lady lord bottom someone had to take care of the ship. They needed a real seaman, and someone that knew seamanship. The sailing masters were those men . Often times the sailing master would command the ship in battle as well. A lot of our captains during the revolution and 1812 were past sailing masters, and good the they were as we then did not need sailing masters on our ships… Ie: we had no lord lucky bottom to attend to, they were all on the British ships. :slight_smile:

When I dealt with the navy often times some US naval officer would use the term master in first person when speaking to me or about me. I’d always correct them by saying " excuse me, I am Captain xxxx, master of the xxxx. I’d tell them that the term master is never used in first person as its a job title, not a rank. One would not refer to me as “master (- last name)” as I am not a slave owner. Oddly the USN to this day does not understand the term master and continues to misuse it. A little education on history at the academy would seem to be in order.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);79570]Such a shame that even in 1954 the naval academy didn’t know much about the merchant fleets and men that was in fact the basis of the American navy. Yes, indeed the British coined the term " sailing master" and is why we still use the term master today. In years past the British captain or admiral may well be a political appointment from a wealthy family. When he was off the ship jumping lady lord bottom someone had to take care of the ship. They needed a real seaman, and someone that knew seamanship. The sailing masters were those men . Often times the sailing master would command the ship in battle as well. A lot of our captains during the revolution and 1812 were past sailing masters, and good the they were as we then did not need sailing masters on our ships… Ie: we had no lord lucky bottom to attend to, they were all on the British ships. :slight_smile: [/QUOTE]

A great read, thank you. I’ve met a few Lady Lord Bottoms during my sailing days, perhaps in one of the Pubs gracing Old Portsmouth’s waterfront, or was it in Bremerhaven.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);79570] When I dealt with the navy often times some US naval officer would use the term master in first person when speaking to me or about me. I’d always correct them by saying " excuse me, I am Captain xxxx, master of the xxxx. I’d tell them that the term master is never used in first person as its a job title, not a rank. One would not refer to me as “master (- last name)” as I am not a slave owner. Oddly the USN to this day does not understand the term master and continues to misuse it. A little education on history at the academy would seem to be in order.[/QUOTE]

Were any of your ships named Bates?

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);79570] A little education on history at the academy would seem to be in order.[/QUOTE]

Watch your words my good man. If they started teaching history they would soon have midshipmen asking questions and we can’t have that, can we? It could even lead to the lads thinking for themselves and next thing you know the whole system might be at risk.

Why yes. In fact I was a master bater before a ships master

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);79613]Why yes. In fact I was a master bater before a ships master[/QUOTE]

Oh … you are … you are

Found in Maritime Executive this morning:

Container Ship Prevents Near Collision with Navy Tugboats
Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Early yesterday, an APL container ship dropped anchor in the Thimble Shoals shipping channel – near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel – just in time to avoid colliding with two Navy tugboats that were in the middle of a training exercise.

Coast Guard investigators found no damage after a thorough inspection of the vessels. The APL Oman [pictured in thumb image] crew was subsequently commended, along with an onboard harbor pilot, for successfully avoiding an accident. Again, there were no reported injuries or damage.

The tugs were towing a roll-on/roll-off ship and were crossing the bow of the Oman. According to the Coast Guard, the crew made the appropriate, instinctive decision to drop anchor, which ensured that the ship would stop faster.

The 902-foot Oman was transiting the 1,000-foot wide Thimble Shoals Channel for foreign trade purposes, which automatically requires the vessel to have a pilot onboard as they enter port. The Virginia Pilots Association is expected to guide ships into ports in the area.

The investigation into this near-miss is currently ongoing.

[QUOTE=Steamer;79670]Found in Maritime Executive this morning:

Container Ship Prevents Near Collision with Navy Tugboats
Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Early yesterday, an APL container ship dropped anchor in the Thimble Shoals shipping channel – near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel – just in time to avoid colliding with two Navy tugboats that were in the middle of a training exercise.

Coast Guard investigators found no damage after a thorough inspection of the vessels. The APL Oman [pictured in thumb image] crew was subsequently commended, along with an onboard harbor pilot, for successfully avoiding an accident. Again, there were no reported injuries or damage.

The tugs were towing a roll-on/roll-off ship and were crossing the bow of the Oman. According to the Coast Guard, the crew made the appropriate, instinctive decision to drop anchor, which ensured that the ship would stop faster.

The 902-foot Oman was transiting the 1,000-foot wide Thimble Shoals Channel for foreign trade purposes, which automatically requires the vessel to have a pilot onboard as they enter port. The Virginia Pilots Association is expected to guide ships into ports in the area.

The investigation into this near-miss is currently ongoing.[/QUOTE]

Good grief !

Well I assume a “training exercise” excuses them, eh !!

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;79678]Well I assume a “training exercise” excuses them, eh !![/QUOTE]

Maybe they were training destroyer captains.

Initially I thought another “radar-assisted collision”, but they weren’t "painting’’ it? A supertanker?!! Good thing they didn’t run over that NUC.

Somebody will be painting something now…after some metal work and a couple of Courts-martial.