Navy seatime for USCG 3rd mate unltd

I served 4 years on a Navy cruiser. I had a supply rating and also had deck pqs qualifications for standing deck watches, Lookout, Line Handler, Unrep Line Handler, Helmsman, Lee Helmsman, Masterhelmsman, Signalman of the watch. I was planning on going merchant marine, so which is why I got qualified in deck dept watches for my own experience. Now I’m going for a 3/m and I am having a hard time finding out if I can do it because I held a supply rating. NMC says I can get RFPNW because I hold those various deck qualifications, now I need to know if its good enough for 3/m. Any help? thanks.

You said you talked to the NMC, what did they have to say about your sea time?

There’s a lot of new changes afoot with the Coast Guard final rule regarding STCW so you will need to find out if there are shore-based courses you need to take before attempting to apply for a license right out of the Navy

Look at the other threads on the subject as well as the checklists on the NMC site, and especially for you look at the Marine Safety Manual vol. III which has an entire section devoted to Navy and CG sea time. There is a chart for enlisted ratings with sea time recommendations. That should help you get a ballpark idea but of course everyone’s situation is different.

There are a lot of ex-military here so hit the search function, you will find a lot of helpful info.

It’s great that you were able to complete the PQS. However, being that you were a “supply guy” and not a deck watch stander, you will most likely be short the required 3 yrs of sea time as a watch stander. Your Navy sea duty will most likely not count toward a 3rd mates license. Without the sea time you will have to start as a OS and work your way up if planning a hawse pipe route. I recommend you look at attending a 4 year merchant marine academic program with your GI bill or the MITAGS workboat to mate program. That will be the fastest route for you.

BLUF: The answer to your question is NO.
“Lookout, Line Handler, Unrep Line Handler, Helmsman, Lee Helmsman, Masterhelmsman, Signalman of the watch” should get you well on your way to AB RFPNW. Too bad QMOW isn’t part of your resume, that would make this a different story.

[QUOTE=indianrivercruiser;137807]… now I need to know if its good enough for 3/m. Any help? thanks.[/QUOTE]

I don’t mean to poke too sharp a stick but read your own description of what you did (or maybe just got signed off on) for some unknown amount of actual sea time. Would you really feel comfortable, or more to the point, would anyone else on board sleep well with an officer in charge on the bridge who brought nothing more to the watch than what you described? I hope not because it means you have a pretty low opinion of what it takes to be a mate, even a baby 3rd.

Do you want to fly with an airline pilot who hasn’t even soloed yet?

Accept the gift of the RFPNW and go forth to learn the universe of skills and obtain the real life experience that comes from working with and observing how a merchant ship can operate with fewer people than your Navy ship had cleaning the mess tables.

Regardless of your Navy quals, you very likely won’t meet the sea time requirements for a 3/M license. Military sea time is generally counted at 60% (46 CFR 10.232) and you need three years of sea time to sit for 3/M. I agree with Steamer, take the RFPNW, get some more experience under your belt, and then sit for the license.

He’s in a supply rating at that, which is why I steered him toward the safety manual. Not all ratings qualify for the 60%.

Good try but no cigar, only NMC can make the final word. I must thank everyone for they’re time replying. Thank you. Fair winds and following seas.

[QUOTE=indianrivercruiser;138163]Good try but no cigar, only NMC can make the final word. I must thank everyone for they’re time replying. Thank you. Fair winds and following seas.[/QUOTE]

Also, I never said my only seatime was from the navy, I am trying to figure out if the navy seatime is good for a future ticket, I also didn’t say I was forward deployed spending nine months a year at sea and on top of that I held Quartermaster of the watch, bosun mate of the watch, signalman of the watch, master helmsman and ESWS all in my first 18 months with a Supply rating as a 19 year old. I was getting my OJT for my career after the NAVY and And trying to get an officer package (naval academy). At least I got the experience out of it.

[QUOTE=indianrivercruiser;138929]Also, I never said my only seatime was from the navy …[/QUOTE]

It is the NMC you have to convince, not us.