Navy fires captain who sought help for virus-stricken ship

He gets a desk job around the Five sided Wind tunnel until he decides to retire. That’s just embarasment with a paycheck. He wasn’t “fired.” For that, he would require a Court Martial, reduction in rank, and punitive separation with no entitlement to a pension. That would be getting fired.

Fired is being used in the colloquial sense here, it’s in the thread title and in the article headline.

Captain Crozier put the safety and well being of his crew above himself. Clearly, he felt the situation was not receiving enough attention and was dire enough to take the course of action he did. Given his tenure with the Navy I’m sure he knew there was a very real potential for retaliation; however, he put the safety and well being of his crew first. Whether it be a merchant vessel or a warship, that is what a real Captain is supposed to do.

Jeff Hagopian

3 Likes

You are right he didn t get fired but next stop could be prepo dg

1 Like

Somewhere, General Billy Mitchell is smiling down on Captain Crozier.

When Mitchell’s bombers sank the surplus German battleship Ostfriesland in a July 1921 demonstration, it was a strong blow for airpower. It was also a huge embarrassment for the Navy, which had said he couldn’t do it… [Later] Two Navy aircraft mishaps soon caused Mitchell’s temper to boil over in even more spectacular fashion than usual. The worst of the accidents was the breakup of the Navy dirigible Shenandoah…Mitchell called in the press and gave them a 5,000-word statement. “These accidents are the direct result of the incompetency, criminal negligence, and almost treasonable administration of the national defense by the Navy and War Departments,” he said…Mitchell was charged under the 96th Article of War, the catch-all general article that covered “disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline [and] all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the military service.” Mitchell ridiculed Article 96, saying, “Officers are tried under it for kicking a horse.”

1 Like

Which is why he sent it. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

2 Likes

HA. “Creates the impression”? No, this incident REINFORCES THAT REALITY which is well known to anyone who has ever served in that organization.

4 Likes

Apparently the CO of that ship didn’t share your optimistic opinion on this.

The facts that are being reported is the Navy’s side of the story. We’ve not heard the captain’s side except for the letter.

1 Like

For who, you or the crew member. I know all about the “DPA”’s and unions. Like you said once you explain your side that’s the end of it.

For the company. They listen to the crew member side then my side. I play a straight game so very few crew problems.

I don’t think any of us know exactly what the Captain knew, or more importantly what he had done prior to sending the letter. As a ‘mustang’ naval officer with extensive ship and staff experience, I would bet his first action/appeal was to the embarked flag officer and I would also bet that this Rear Admiral was much more guided by politics in his/her response.

I don’t know why the CO sent the letter in the manner he did, or to the number of people he did, but I have little doubt that he knew what the result would be on his career, and hoped for the result he needed for his crew. Living space and conditions on a naval vessel, regardless of size, are the antithesis of ‘social distancing’ and the CO could only surmise that this could - or would - infect his entire crew. Would the USN, the 7th fleet, or our national security posture been better served by a CVN unable to man her vital watchstations, or even worse adrift flying two black balls?

My 28 years in the USN ended while Capt Crozier was still an Ensign in flight training. No one gets to be the CO of a CVN without being intelligent, hard working, highly-educated, experienced in the ways of the Navy, and ambitious. He knew exactly what he was doing when he ran on his sword for the sake of his crew. Fair winds and following seas to a true “officer and a gentleman”.

8 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure your view is let them all get sick and we’ll bring in a whole new crew will stand up

???

My view is completely opposite of that as seen by my multiple posts praising what the CO did.

Who are “the enemies”? USA is not at war with any major naval power at the moment.

I think our CiC had some passing thoughts about invading Denmark but that may be on hold until the current crisis is resolved.

4 Likes

The US spends FAR more than any other country on their military, it is not even called defense spending any more by thinking people. Around a trillion dollars a year. If one aircraft carrier out of commission jeopardizes the security of continental USA there is a serious misallocation of resources. There are no wars being waged by the US military currently that are not optional.

1 Like

I did not say we are at war with anyone. And if we have no enemies in this world, why are all these assets of the US at sea burning up our taxpayer money? Why is the fleet in the PG?

1 Like

Ask your congress critter. Maybe establishing democracy in Saudi Arabia? I have no idea for what strategic purpose the USA has a fleet in the Persian Gulf or the other 70+ countries the USA has bases in. There are outfits like General Dynamics, Raytheon and assorted ex Congressman now lobbyists getting rich off that boondoggle but personally, I’d rather see that money spent in the USA which is close to shutting down.

1 Like

Hopefully, if you are still sailing you are not on one of those vessels which are propped up by shipping us gov cargo around the world at rates well above market. Because if you are, a lot of cargo from the good old USA gets shipped to these bases around the world. If not for cargo preference you would not have a job on a ship under US flag. What is the strategic purpose of a US Flag Fleet? Why the Jones Act? Why does MSC have civilian ships and crews under contract. Not sure what you mean about these companies and not spending money in the USA. Seems to me they are supporting a whole lot of USA union workers and such who do spend their money here unless at Walmart where it does go to support China. As far I I know the shipyards are still working and ships are still moving. Seems to me you may have your fingers in that boondoggle pie if you are on a Jones Act ship.