Nav/signal lights

Well thanks for that. At least I’ve learnt something today.

My transit of Suez required a huge DC carbon arc headlamp to be slung under the bow but, being a sailing ship with bowsprit and associated rigging, that was impossible. So, among other hangers on, we took (and paid for) the electrician whose job it was to connect the power to keep the system happy. Nobody missed having the headlamp.

The Egyptians apparently learnt their red tape and bureaucracy from the hitherto masters at it, the British, and kept all the worst bits to inflict on passing ships ever since.

1 Like

The Suez Canal pilots use of the lights to differentiate the different vessels in the North and Southbound convoys was still in use when I transited the canal before it was shut in the six day war . I remember being amused at the “Heck” or Stop light on the stern. Flogged from Detroit? Some African ports used various configurations of the Suez Canal lights for customs and clearance purposes.

These are the answers you’re looking for. The Christmas Tree that @DamnYankee describes is most likely part of the main mast above the bridge.

NUC, RAM, CBD, etc all require different light configurations. It doesn’t make sense to have a separate mast for each, so the lights are all incorporated into the one mast.

I can’t say for sure, but if you push the buttons in the middle, it might automatically select the proper lights for, say, NUC and turn them on.

Or, if you want to turn them on individually, you can select whatever light you want on in the stuff you circled in yellow.

I mean, yea, nobody. But that’s not what it’s supposed to be used for, and @Jughead probably could have explained that instead of being all sarcastic…

Don’t forget that everytime the Suez Lights were switched on the bond locker was depleted by 1 case of Marlboro.
Bless 'em.

1 Like

Not mine. The pilot, having discovered that I had the Australian Ambassador to Egypt aboard, instantly stopped treating me as his target for his “gift” and turned to the ambassador and blithely demanded a better gift, immigration for him and his family to Australia. The ambassador responded he could apply the same as everyone else and that if he persisted trying to pressure him he would inform his personal friend the senior pilot (this pilot’s ultimate boss) of his misconduct.

The pilot sulked and didn’t utter another word until he got off. Most effective.

2 Likes