Nat'l 500 Ton Master - equivalent Mate?

On my MMC I have Nat’l 500 Ton Master NC and it also shows 200 Ton Mate NC
I am going to be adding a Tankerman Assistant Rating and was wondering while I’m paying the money… should I not ask for 500 Ton Mate to replace the 200?.. Looking at the checklist, I believe I qualify for it. The reason being… I want to go for OICNW and the table for crossover from National shows I can do that without additional sea time if I hold a 500 Mate but with a 200 Mate I need 180 days. I have all of the pertinent training classes except Medical Care Provider which I’m taking next month, so… my question is if I ask for 500 Ton Mate NC to be put on my credential wouldn’t that make it to where I can apply for the OICNW less than 500 Ton NC once I get the Medical class done? I’ve tried to get an answer on this through the CFRs on my own and also through two different consultants but it seems to be a murky area with different answers from different people. Wondering if JCavo might have some insight for me.
Thank you

So you have 500 master and want them at add 500 mate? Why don’t you just add 11/3 master 500 nc

You can’t get the II/3 master without also getting the II/3 OICNW. The assessments are all one package and you must submit for OICNW along with your master application unless held previously.

Wahinesailor, you don’t need to upgrade your 200 GRT mate to get both II/3 Master and OICNW. You are already qualified for both given your domestic 500 master. But if you don’t upgrade to the 500 GRT mate, you may be limited on your STCW to vessels of no more than 200 GRT or 500 GT as OICNW.

If you do upgrade, you may have to test again.

I never got OICNW just 11/3 master

That is strange since you had to turn in all the assessments for OICNW in NVIC 13-14 in order to get master. NMC should have given you both simultaneously.

1 Like