National Training Vessel Rears it's head again

Have you guys run across this article?
Thought it was interesting giving the recent discussion, I wasn’t sure if it was more appropriate to append to that discussion or start one anew.

I’m still trying to figure out how there is such a massive mariner shortage looming. There aren’t enough jobs for the mariners we currently have, I doubt there will be massive numbers of new jobs in the future.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;188763]I’m still trying to figure out how there is such a massive mariner shortage looming. [/QUOTE]

There isn’t and never was. There is a shortage of mariners willing to do it for $5.00 and hour, piss poor time on/off, self paid travel, training, etc etc.

Well, well. And here it it. The sexual harassment-free newbuild training ship. There’s just so many things wrong I don’t know where to start. Do I start with the dire need for mariners (at the price industry wants to pay so weaken the Jones Act and expand King’s Point), the dire need for training ships (even though MSC alone could absorb hundreds of cadets a semester), the need for cadets to go to sea as cadets (as they could get time as ABs and actually learn to work vice being grab-ass drunks). Or maybe I’m offended by the bullshit about protecting the little darlings from sexual predators (all of us) when the real reasons are to give ASSCO (or whoever) a shipbuild project. Maybe it’s calling a training ship a ‘National Security’ vessel (it should be called Pork Boondoggle).

I’m sure they’ll build them.

It’s due time the SMAs be issued new purpose built vessels from MARAD. I still think KP should be dissolved and the funding should be distributed evenly to the SMAs (or even better, directly to the students). The State schools need new ships though. Doing sea terms on 60 year old, rusty steam ships. This is how you put both students, crew, and instructors at risk.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;188769]I’m sure they’ll build them.[/QUOTE]

Who is going to write the checks?

Everyone in the 3rd to 7th Tax Bracket. Maybe hidden in the verbage of some obscure bill.

[QUOTE=Irish Pennant;188775]Everyone in the 3rd to 7th Tax Bracket. Maybe hidden in the verbage of some obscure bill.[/QUOTE]

That’s a lot of moola to hide in a bill about something else entirely even if Congress seems to have a fetish for those.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;188773]Who is going to write the checks?[/QUOTE]

I don’t want to write any checks for two: reasons: ONE its a bad idea that would offer much poorer training than commercial shipping at enormous extra and unnecessary cost; and TWO its not worth spending over $2 billion dollars on seven worthless ships, just because a few oversensitive special snowflakes where not trained to promptly inform the Master whenever they think they might be being harassed by some rude comment.

i do not want to spend $2 billion on useless ships that will spend 270 days a year alongside the dock, and fail to provide real world training. Real world training is readily available on existing US and foreign flag ships for FREE. It a simple matter to promptly inform the master of harrassment. If the Master fails to act, its a simple matter to make a phone call and have the USCG and the FBI waiting to board the ship in the next port.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;188778]I don’t want to write any checks for two: reasons: ONE its a bad idea that would offer much poorer training than commercial shipping at enormous extra and unnecessary cost; and TWO its not worth spending over $2 billion dollars on seven worthless ships, just because a few oversensitive special snowflakes where not trained to promptly inform the Master whenever they think they might be being harassed by some rude comment.

i do not want to spend $2 billion on useless ships that will spend 270 days a year alongside the dock, and fail to provide real world training. Real world training is readily available on existing US and foreign flag ships for FREE. It a simple matter to promptly inform the master of harrassment. If the Master fails to act, its a simple matter to make a phone call and have the USCG and the FBI waiting to board the ship in the next port.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. In any case, why only cruise in the summer? So the precious snowflakes can get a tan? Why can’t they share a few ships on a rotating basis though out the school year? After all, it shouldn’t hurt them too much to experience a little winter weather.

To borrow from one of my favorite movies: ‘First rule of government spending: Why build one when you can have two at twice the price.’

Sailing on training ships really is a joke and of negligible value in my experience. But if its going to happen anyways, I definitely support the building of these vessels. Please pass the pork barrel, shipmate.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;188780]Agreed. In any case, why only cruise in the summer? So the precious snowflakes can get a tan? Why can’t they share a few ships on a rotating basis though out the school year? After all, it shouldn’t hurt them too much to experience a little winter weather.[/QUOTE]

Pass the ship around. It will actually be better for keeping it in good condition. If it’s going to sit at the dock 9 months a year, there is nothing wrong with old ships. Having been on old training ships recently, tossing 10-20mil at one of them could make it like new and allow it to last another 20 years!

[QUOTE=DeckApe;188784]To borrow from one of my favorite movies: ‘First rule of government spending: Why build one when you can have two at twice the price.’[/QUOTE]

Yay, someone else loves Contact as much as I do!

As to the topic at hand, I consider myself fortunate that I will get all of my sea days done on commercial vessels (2 lakes, 1 ocean trip). Seeing how a real ship works, cargo operations, etc. from the beginning has being tremendously valuable. I wish every cadet had the opportunity to do so.

[QUOTE=KPChief;188766]There isn’t and never was. There is a shortage of mariners willing to do it for $5.00 and hour, piss poor time on/off, self paid travel, training, etc etc.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DeckApe;188769]Well, well. And here it it. The sexual harassment-free newbuild training ship. There’s just so many things wrong I don’t know where to start. Do I start with the dire need for mariners (at the price industry wants to pay so weaken the Jones Act and expand King’s Point), the dire need for training ships (even though MSC alone could absorb hundreds of cadets a semester), the need for cadets to go to sea as cadets (as they could get time as ABs and actually learn to work vice being grab-ass drunks). Or maybe I’m offended by the bullshit about protecting the little darlings from sexual predators (all of us) when the real reasons are to give ASSCO (or whoever) a shipbuild project. Maybe it’s calling a training ship a ‘National Security’ vessel (it should be called Pork Boondoggle).

I’m sure they’ll build them.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=tugsailor;188778]I don’t want to write any checks for two: reasons: ONE its a bad idea that would offer much poorer training than commercial shipping at enormous extra and unnecessary cost; and TWO its not worth spending over $2 billion dollars on seven worthless ships, just because a few oversensitive special snowflakes where not trained to promptly inform the Master whenever they think they might be being harassed by some rude comment.

i do not want to spend $2 billion on useless ships that will spend 270 days a year alongside the dock, and fail to provide real world training. Real world training is readily available on existing US and foreign flag ships for FREE. It a simple matter to promptly inform the master of harrassment. If the Master fails to act, its a simple matter to make a phone call and have the USCG and the FBI waiting to board the ship in the next port.[/QUOTE]

I agree, why not just send them on MSC boats or on the Mississippi. Hell, even though GoM has enough boats still working to be able to handle a measly couple hundred kids per semester, I’m sure they’d like the free labor anyways.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;188769]when the real reasons are to give ASSCO (or whoever) a shipbuild project. Maybe it’s calling a training ship a ‘National Security’ vessel (it should be called Pork Boondoggle).

I’m sure they’ll build them.[/QUOTE]
Could take one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Montford_Point
Get some accommodation units from HOS, stack them on the deck. It’d look like an Achiever on steriods.
Could be done for pennies on the dollar and you could make the cadets be part of the mob and demob period too.

It is not just US Cadets that has problem finding a place to get their sea time training: http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/boarding-program-maritime-cadets/

Maybe a joint effort to solve this problem would be better than each nation, or even each training school/institute etc. finding their own solution?

Wow; a lot of stuff in this thread is very misogynistic.

[QUOTE=greg787;189226]Wow; a lot of stuff in this thread is very misogynistic.[/QUOTE]

or you are posting in the wrong thread. This is much more concentrated on government waste than misogyny: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny
Maybe you meant this thread: http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/18790-sounds-kings-point-canceling-sea-term.html

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny
I’m not sure that you are posting to the correct thread. This one is more about government waste.

Maybe this one? http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/18790-sounds-kings-point-canceling-sea-term.html