National Maritime Center Updates - Direct submissions of medical

This one is from two days ago, Aug 8th.

Direct Submission of Medical Certificate Applications to the NMC

The Coast Guard has an established option for submission of medical certificate applications (CG-719K and CG-719K/E forms). Mariners may submit medical certificate only applications directly to the National Maritime Center (NMC). Regional Examination Centers will accept medical certificate application submissions as well, but, for faster processing, it is recommended to submit a CG-719K or CG-719K/E directly to the NMC.

The CG-719K and CG-719 K/E forms can be sent directly to the NMC via e-mail at MEDAIP@uscg.mil. Electronic submission requirements can be found on the NMC website.

Direct submission to the NMC is only for the medical certificate application. Applications for a Merchant Mariner Credential (CG-719B/MMC) cannot be submitted directly to the NMC.

If you have any questions, please contact the NMC Customer Service Center by e-mailing IASKNMC@USCG.mil, by calling 1-888-IASKNMC (427-5662), via our online chat system, or by visiting our website.

Sincerely,

/B. W. Clare/

Captain, U.S. Coast Guard
Commanding Officer

This one’s an old one, from May 23.

National Maritime Center Credential Application Surge

The National Maritime Center (NMC) has experienced a significant surge in application submissions for Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMC) over the past several months. NMC staff are taking prompt action to process these applications, along with any previously pending applications, as quickly as possible. As we continue to strive to meet our customer’s needs, we again highly recommend mariners take the following steps to avoid processing delays:

• Apply at least 90 days in advance. Remember, for renewals you can apply up to 8 months early with no change between your expiration and renewal dates.
  • Use the Regional Exam Centers and Monitoring Units to review your application before submission. They are available for appointments in person or over the phone.
  • Use the tools and resources on the NMC website. The application acceptance checklist and evaluator checklists are valuable tools.
  • For general questions, contact the NMC Customer Service Center by e-mailing IASKNMC@uscg.mil, calling 1-888-IASKNMC (427-5662), or using the Live Chat feature on the NMC Home Page.

Additionally, mariners can request expedited mailing of their MMC or Medical Certificate, which includes the ability to track the package. Full instructions are provided on the NMC website detailing the expedited mailing process.

For a complete list of important announcements on how to avoid application delays, see the National Maritime Center Announcements on the NMC Home Page.

Sincerely,

/B. W. Clare/

Bradley W. Clare
Captain, U.S. Coast Guard
Commanding Officer

Is this new? I thought this was the way the med certs had been going for several years now.

2 Likes

NMC has accepted med cert applications directly since Feb 2018. Maybe they’re just reminding people of the option?

Got the first email, about the direct submission of medical, a couple days ago, 8 Aug. Don’t know when the policy was started.

The second one, about the surge of apps is from May 23rd.

Yea me too. And I know I’ve sent at least 2 in that way already, so I didn’t really understand what changed.

Between the two emails I’d guess it’s this:

for faster processing, it is recommended to submit a CG-719K or CG-719K/E directly to the NMC.”

It’s not new.

Do you sign up for those emails on the NMC site?

https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/subscriber/new?topic_id=USDHSCG_82

2 Likes

So why confuse everyone and make it sound like it is?