MTU 16v 4000 m60, good/bad workboat engine?

Looking for opinions, feelings, and perspectives from some people who’ve had experience with MTUs, specifically M60s. Does anyone have soot in lube oil issues @ spectro intervals?

My uncle who is a private yacht captain has two of them. No real problems from what I’ve heard. Sause Brothers has been converting their fleet over to them and saving quite a bit of fuel per ton/mile towing.

Make sure the water seal gaskets under the heads are the new version released in mid 2013. The old style was failing on some of the 4000 series, seen it on board. We had to change all of them.

Keep fuel clean,clean, bacteria free and stay on top of the filter maint.

Older 4000’s will tend to chew up fuel pumps, so figger out how to change 'em

If you have bore scope pay attention to valve seats. I’ve seen them go with low op hrs because of crap fuel. Of course the former chief engineer telling MTU warranty rep that the crew didn’t deal with fuel pre filters sure didn’t help the warranty claim, or his career.

[QUOTE=+A465B;139708]Make sure the water seal gaskets under the heads are the new version released in mid 2013. The old style was failing on some of the 4000 series, seen it on board. We had to change all of them.

Keep fuel clean,clean, bacteria free and stay on top of the filter maint.

Older 4000’s will tend to chew up fuel pumps, so figger out how to change 'em

If you have bore scope pay attention to valve seats. I’ve seen them go with low op hrs because of crap fuel. Of course the former chief engineer telling MTU warranty rep that the crew didn’t deal with fuel pre filters sure didn’t help the warranty claim, or his career.[/QUOTE]

Did you have an issue with water in the lube oil? We did.

I work on a boat with the 16v 4000’s m63 and the only real issue i have noticed going from EMD, CAT, or Cummins to these MTU’s is that the standard oil sump is very small and the engines do burn oil… requires more attention.
also the captain complains that the engines do not spool up quick enough… but that is mostly that we are under powered.