MT department head resigns

Anthony Palmiotti, the head of the Marine Transportation department, has tendered his resignation, leaving the Summer Sea Term with no MT department head.

Thoughts, comments, especially with issues at hand at the school…

There are 2 possible senarios - he was given a buyout package where the state paid him to leave - in which case he is contractually bound not to discuss the school or staff. OR - He just quit in which case he is free to say whatever he wants.

Have someone other than a Cadet reach out to him. Mention you are sorry to see him leave. Ask if he can talk about it.

If the latter, Ask if his decision has anything do do with the new school leadership. Ask for sugestions on what - in his view - could be done to correct the situation.

I had the pleasure to know him in the late 80’s and IMHO, his leaving is going to be a great loss to SUNY. I hope that he chose to leave and was not forced out.

It’s a loss for the school any way you slice it. I hope he left on his own and wasn’t forced out. He was a really good teacher and asset to the school. He would always help you out any way he could.

Losing Anthony Palmiotti is a huge loss to the MT dept, and the school itself. If he was forced out whoever forced him out is a Moron. If he resigned on his own, I for one would very much like to know why ? Knowing the current MT dept very well I’m not sure I can think of anyone that could replace him. I would strongly urge the Cadets at maritime to ask there MT Professors that they see as good leaders to find out more information and suggest that the good professors apply for the position. I’ll be watching this very closely as this could be the beginning of the end of the Deck License program. Knowing the new leadership I’m all to aware the Admiral does not like the license program. Sad news indeed however I wish Anthony fair winds and following seas on whatever he chooses to do next !

[QUOTE=deckmate;108296] I’ll be watching this very closely as this could be the beginning of the end of the Deck License program. Knowing the new leadership I’m all to aware the Admiral does not like the license program. [/QUOTE]

End of the deck license program? I think you are off your rocker personally. If anyone of the academies cut either the Deck or Engine license it would no longer in my opinion be a maritime academy. I can also almost assure you that the Admiral will not get rid of the Deck program.

They can’t lose the license program. If they do the government takes the land back.

Last month I was in the bronx at a meeting of industry leaders Anthony had arranged to discuss improving the department (a meeting that included, among other things, budgeting for -much needed- DP training!). He mentioned nothing about leaving the school and seemed both hopeful and guardedly optimistic about proposing a plan to the Admiral.

Although a loss to the school there are still quite a number of people that I can think of quite capable of taking on this tremendous burden. The questions are, will they be asked? and if asked, will the accept?

[QUOTE=flyboy14295;108241]Anthony Palmiotti, the head of the Marine Transportation department, has tendered his resignation, leaving the Summer Sea Term with no MT department head.

Thoughts, comments, especially with issues at hand at the school…[/QUOTE]

He was never going on cruise anyway, so this really doesn’t have any bearing on that. Last I heard they had 2 others going as SDTO, one for each half.

I saw him earlier this year and he seemed pretty unhappy with the way things were going around there (administration). I’m not terribly surprised he’s resigned, but he will be missed. He’s been there for something like 30 years. And this will have NO bearing on the school losing the deck license program.

[QUOTE=New3M;108463] He’s been there for something like 30 years…’[/QUOTE]

He has, and he graduated 34 years ago.

As we say sound there, he bleeds blue and burgundy.

I hear he’s going to stick around and teach, he just won’t be the department chair anymore. So it’s really not as big a deal as it sounded like.

Not a big deal? I think your underplaying what really happened.

I have spoken with some people and I think this goes back to what was said about the administration in another thread. I believe they are cutting the department funding and it became a battle for Antthony Palmiotti to do his job. He was standing up for the Cadets and was putting the education of the MT students over whatever this administrations agenda is. A quote from what someone told me, “He was a thorn in the side of some high ranking people here and they wanted him out”. It is complete BS that he just decided to step down. Your out of your mind if you think that is what really happened.

Of course it was about the administration. Why else would he step down? I don’t believe for a second that he just felt like it was time for somebody else to do the job.

When I said it wasn’t a big deal that was in response to those who were worried about the deck license program etc. In the end, there will be a new batch of MUGs in August and someone else will be the department chair. There are some excellent candidates that have already been there for years. I hope they don’t put Ahlstrom back in the position, because that was a failed experiment. Hopefully the new chair is someone who is as passionate about the cadets and license program as Anthony was.

[QUOTE=New3M;108633]Of course it was about the administration. Why else would he step down? I don’t believe for a second that he just felt like it was time for somebody else to do the job.

When I said it wasn’t a big deal that was in response to those who were worried about the deck license program etc. In the end, there will be a new batch of MUGs in August and someone else will be the department chair. There are some excellent candidates that have already been there for years. I hope they don’t put Ahlstrom back in the position, because that was a failed experiment. Hopefully the new chair is someone who is as passionate about the cadets and license program as Anthony was.[/QUOTE]

No way she would put Ahlstrom in as chair because it would take him 10 or 20 years to help her kill off the license program. Now if she put Cooney in charge she could accomplish this goal in 10 to 20 months max!

[QUOTE=domer;108647]No way she would put Ahlstrom in as chair because it would take him 10 or 20 years to help her kill off the license program. Now if she put Cooney in charge she could accomplish this goal in 10 to 20 months max![/QUOTE]

This is so complicated! I just don’t understand the politics! At MMA the department chair is almost like a raffle. Everyone knows no one wants the responsibility and paperwork, so whoever shows up to the department faculty meeting last on voting day draws the short straw and they a corner office, a lighter class schedule, a pay raise, and loads and loads and loads more paperwork for three whole years! You think I’m kidding… Just come visit sometime…

There’s a reason why Cooney got booted out of the MT program years ago.

Last year the GBAT dept chair this year Palmiotti Sr. The admiral is just restructuring to make sure only those who sing her song are in charge. The thing is pretty much all of the MT Dept Faculty already, practically openly, don’t like her. I’ve heard a lot of professors talk shit about the admiral’s leadership off the record.

Sad to hear this news, had heard some rumblings in the past but hoped it wouldn’t come to this. It has everything to do with the administration. Whether he resigned out of frustration or was forced out, the administration is at fault here. Another great professor and professional mentor lost at the hands of morons. I was there when they basically fired Curtin and almost did the same with Vecchio. Different administration, but they all seem to have a knack for losing the best people they have one way or the other.