MSC pay potential?

I may have to go MSC for a while (see related post). Like in the SIU, when I shipped AB with them, is the OT available all the time? So you can get a 12 hour day in? Thanks

Crapgame, OT at MSC is a crapshoot. It depends on many factors. Is the ship sitting idle in Norfolk. Is it in Full Operating Status or in Reduced Operating Status? Is it deployed? Generally speaking, the more labor intensive the ship’s mission, the more OT there is to be had. For instance, a deployed breakbulk reefer ship that’s working with an active carrier task force will have a bigger OT budget than an oiler sitting in port in a limited availability period.
Sorry if this is clear as mud, but like I said there are just too many variables to answer your question specifically.

Thanks, yes, makes sense. Would you happen to know if OS’s basically do the same work on MSC ships, just a different pay grade? Thanks

[QUOTE=Crapgame44;43098]I may have to go MSC for a while (see related post). Like in the SIU, when I shipped AB with them, is the OT available all the time? So you can get a 12 hour day in? Thanks[/QUOTE]

And just because you asked a question about sea time elsewhere and you talk about getting a 12 hour day in, working over time for 4 hours will not equate to 1.5 days credit for sea service. You might not even be thinking about that, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

[QUOTE=Crapgame44;43272]Thanks, yes, makes sense. Would you happen to know if OS’s basically do the same work on MSC ships, just a different pay grade? Thanks[/QUOTE]
Its been 13 years since I left there, but I was there for 17 years as O/S, A/B and as Bosn’n Mate. Understand that things may have changed. When I was there you had O/S watchstanders and O/s Dayworkers. The watchstanders stood a regular 4 hr on/8 hr off watch rotation. In port in the US they worked straight days. The O/S daymen worked 0800-1700 Monday thru Friday. OT was NOT garenteed on weekends. A lot of times what would happen was if you took off on a weekend in port they would withhold the OT as a punishment at sea. that all depends on the Bos’n and the Mate. When you’ve got good leadership and you’re a good hand in a good crew… you get the idea.

You can always work weekends if you want, in-port & at-sea. Most MSC deck departments work evenings 3 nights a week, maybe Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday. Turn too after supper with the Bosun or Rig Bosun, working until 2000 or 2100. At MSC…everyones gett’n paid. After work take the keys to the ship’s van and go to the mall then go get drunk at the Music Box. MSC NFAF is the premire american shipping line!

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been to the Music Box, Dockside and the B-girl clip joint in between them. That one used to be called Diamond Lil’s. Then years before you came around UnrepKing, we also used to go to Nicks and the Victory Grill too. there were some good times to be had without a doubt.
But don’t getto thinking that your OT is garenteed, because its not. There are fat times and lean times, my young friend.