MSC Leave Question

A picture of an era now long gone, never to return ~

[ATTACH]2716[/ATTACH]

This was not a photo op, the engineer on the throttles is working with the fireman and watching the boiler’s water levels. Opening the throttles too fast will cause the water to rapidly rise in the boilers, if it gets too high there will be “carry-over” which can seriously damage the turbine blades, closing too fast can cause the water to drop, should it get too low, well. Sometimes it is necessary to “juggle” the ahead and astern throttles to maintain a balance.

I was thinking the DC heater looked a little low. If that’s the gauge to the right of your head. When I was a wiper on the SS Independence there was next to no automation. The fireman had to sit down between the old 600 psi B&W’s and work it all by hand. No aoutomation recirc valves for the fuel header. No igniters or servos for the air vents in the registers. Had big brass hand wheels for the air damper and a periscope. When I got on the next ship and saw an automated Foster Wheeler plant I was blown away. When I told the fireman on my watch about that he said “God bless Bailey controls”.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;91101]I was thinking the DC heater looked a little low. If that’s the gauge to the right of your head. When I was a wiper on the SS Independence there was next to no automation. The fireman had to sit down between the old 600 psi B&W’s and work it all by hand. No aoutomation recirc valves for the fuel header. No igniters or servos for the air vents in the registers. Had big brass hand wheels for the air choke and a periscope. When I got on the next ship and saw an automated Foster Wheeler plant I was blown away. When I told the fireman on my watch about that he said “God bless Bailey controls”.[/QUOTE]

MarAd recently replaced all the SL7 (Algol, etc) Bailey controls with shiny new Yokogawa automation. I have pics somewhere if I can dig them up I’ll post them. Too bad those ships will all be gone by 2020 the way the legislation reads now. I won’t even get on the subject of spending money on stuff that will never really be used.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;91101]I was thinking the DC heater looked a little low. If that’s the gauge to the right of your head. When I was a wiper on the SS Independence there was next to no automation. The fireman had to sit down between the old 600 psi B&W’s and work it all by hand. No aoutomation recirc valves for the fuel header. No igniters or servos for the air vents in the registers. Had big brass hand wheels for the air choke and a periscope. When I got on the next ship and saw an automated Foster Wheeler plant I was blown away. When I told the fireman on my watch about that he said “God bless Bailey controls”.[/QUOTE]

That’s funny - TRUE - but funny.
Good catch Fragrat, that is indeed the DC Htr. As I recall we had a long Full Steam Astern bell prior to half, then slow astern. The boilers used lots of water, it didn’t long for the DC Htr to catch-up. You can bet I kept my eye on the level. There was a by-pass valve (located near the throttles) around the pneumatic feed water control valve which I would open during such bells. A lot more was involved than simply opening and closing the throttles, but I know you know that.

[QUOTE=catherder;91105]MarAd recently replaced all the SL7 (Algol, etc) Bailey controls with shiny new Yokogawa automation. I have pics somewhere if I can dig them up I’ll post them. Too bad those ships will all be gone by 2020 the way the legislation reads now. I won’t even get on the subject of spending money on stuff that will never really be used.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, catherder, I’m looking forward to seeing them.
The reason I posted a picture on this thread and not on the “Ships, Tugs …” thread is in recognition that it was with the MSC steam ships where I really got experience on how to be a dam good steam engineer. I had some great teachers, recall Chief Engineer Moose Lightbourne? There are many others, these were great engineers. They also like their shore time when we could get any. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;91107]Thanks, catherder, I’m looking forward to seeing them.
The reason I posted a picture on this thread and not on the “Ships, Tugs …” thread is in recognition that it was with the MSC steam ships where I really got experience on how to be a dam good steam engineer. I had some great teachers, recall Chief Engineer Moose Lightbourne? There are many others, these were great engineers. They also like their shore time when we could get any. :D[/QUOTE] I sailed with Moose, God Bless him. what a gentleman and great engineer.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;91115]I sailed with Moose, God Bless him. what a gentleman and great engineer.[/QUOTE]

That he was, seadog, that he was. I’ve experienced some gifted, brave, and competent men, both in the Navy and Merchant Marine, Moose is right up with all of them.

Moose once told me “John, settle down, you have made your grade.” As an old man today, I followed his advise, I’m grateful.

Thank you for the replies. Sorry for the late response. I was having trouble with the site.

[QUOTE=MFOWelectrician;91207]Thank you for the replies. Sorry for the late response. I was having trouble with the site.[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome, MFOelectrician, either we have helped answer your question or you’re more confused than ever. :smiley: