MSC in really bad shape regarding manning

Xmsccap(RET),

Looks like you’re right. Today RADM Buzby said homesteading provided a valuable core of mariners for a ship and that several billets per ship would be made permanent. This will facilitate homesteading for the chosen few who can kiss ass, say YES! and serve their masters’ every whim with a smile.

He also said ship funded leave would return to the control of the captains.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

This asshole knows about as much about running ships as he knows about running a prison camp.

I like RADM Buzby. Today he called the pool a “daycare.” That kind of honesty won me over (even if he thinks homesteading is good).

Buzby has been sold a bill of goods where certain civmar rates would be considered specific to a certain ship. Perhaps a tug ABM would ride tugs only and never again see an AE, or TAO. Personally I think it’s a really bad idea, and one that won’t hold up anyway. The first time placement is missing a TAO ABM, and a tug ABM is there they will send him or her. Then this tug ABM will cry to high heaven and nothing will get solved other than piss off yet one more mariner. Buzby like 99.9 percent of naval officers knows nothing of going to sea for a living. Hence he is easy to be sold one stupid program after another trying to see what works. They all miss the core of what is wrong with Msc and will never fix it, as they are the problem

Xmsccap(RET),

I thought you would be in favor of these changes. You seemed to support them, at least that was my impression.

The permanent billets are not for a class of ship, it is for a particular hull. In other-words USNS Lenthall would have a permanent ABM billet assigned to a specific person who could return at will.

I might see the value in this for a certain class or ship. A tug, salvage, hospital ship or Zeus that may be advantaged by specialized training could justify permanent billets. But an oiler, AOE or AKE would hardly benefit from something like this. I expect to see permanent paint lockermen, tool issuemen and anchor-and-manueveringmen. Vital positions!

Ah well. It will all change. Nothing here is constant except change.

No, not in great favor of the present plans as I understand it. I think a seaman should be able to do any job on any hull. On the homesteading issues, I am in favor of maintaing proven performers that want to be there ( geographic location, ship type etc). In short, I don’t have a problem with performers remaining past a rotation date. As far as SFL goes. I was always in favor of the crew getting the best deal possible, and often times that was the best option or ship and crew, depending on the situation, ie; ROH, etc. In the end, Msc will continue to screw up and hose over the work force. Why? Because in the end they don’t give a crap about the work force as they have showed time and time again.

Hey there,this is Frankyh,glad to join this forum and glad to meet you here Tera Items

??? I’m really trying to get in a union, are they accepting any entry- level app?? Is really hard getting in and I don’t have any experience…

Junbug, MSC is always taking apps for entry level. Look them up on gcaptain and then go to their website.

Thankz… Would it help me in tha industy to get a BST an join a union???

[QUOTE=seadog6608;54555]Junbug, MSC is always taking apps for entry level. Look them up on gcaptain and then go to their website.[/QUOTE]
I called them a few weeks ago and they said no openings below 2nd Mate… I am a few weeks seatime away from that which is disheartening. They won’t even take applications to put on hold though I called several times, they then said Ok we will send you an application, but still haven’t received it…

Maybe its not the same if you are union?

No, the union has nothing to do with anything in MSC. What you are seeing is the inability of the office to do anything. One week they will turn people away, and the next week take any and all for employment. This should be an indication to you of how screwed up MSC is. If I were you I’d run, if you must work for MSC then give them another week and you may hear a complete different story.

I heard their schedule sucks

There are multiple threads that discuss how long the hitches are and how much longer they can be.

That’s government hiring in general. The whole process is ridiculously difficult just to be able to call it “fair”.

Will there be any able body seamen jobs open on next month?

That’s when you have a schedule - it sucks when you don’t and when you do at times.

Only the office would know, and they aren’t talking :slight_smile:

One never knows what they will be doing from week to week. I’d fill out the app, make copies and send them in about a week apart. At the least it will keep some government office weenie in a job.

They are so unorganized they will think you are two different people and will double your chances, go for three.

Listen:

I have been on my first ship (AKE) for about two months now. And I just want to take this opportunity to tell you all how much I HATE MSC.

Homesteaders? Ship’s leave? Complacency? What the hell are you talking about? Homesteader or not all these people are lazy, incompetent, fetal-alcohol syndrome mongoloid babies. Civilian Mariner! Huh! There arent even any real mariners on this ship, just a bunch of Norfolk people who needed jobs. Im surprised they could even type up their KSAs to get the job. They must have gone to some kind of education help center and had a mentor compose their application package.

The ship is actually filthy. But because it is not anyones specific job to clean the built-up crud out of the corners of the halls, it just stays there. Most of these ABs I dont know how they even passed their physicals. Practically no overtime unless you are a bosun mate, in which case its all good cause you will get paid to stand around for five hours after work with the three other bosun mates making negligable adjustments on the stream rig. No opportunity to learn anything for the new guys who might still have some semblance of a work-ethic. And on top of that a bunch of stupid, military-style rules meant to control simple-minded people. People keep telling me “its easy”, " Just stick with it, do your job. Its easy." EASY! I didn’t start working on the water for it to be easy! I wanted decent pay, to respect myself and my fellow mariners, and a challenge. In short, regardless of all these supposed problems with the management and structure of MSC, I think you all suck and are a bunch of brown-nosing, thumb-sucking, no opposable digits-possessing, fairweather non-mariners.

Get a job on a tugboat or something!