MOB recovery rate

How many people actually fall overboard and what is the recovery rate? A recent incident at the company I work for got me thinking about this.

If you have fallen overboard how has it changed you.

While, I was never all the way Overboard, I have come real close, twice. Both times Both of these incidents happened near the El Faro’s resting place and is the reason for more than one sleepless night since hearing about what happened to them.

I was CE on a Sea Going Tug Back After Running the winch to pay out some more in Bad Weather when a surprise wave caught me and put me through the scupper in the waist. One time I only went out to my waist but the second time (Two different trips) the only thing keeping me connected to the boat was my Fingers.

The first time, I was more pissed at myself for it happening but the second time I almost came to blows with the crew member that was “Supposed” to be watching me from the ER was no where to be found until I made it back into the galley and found him laying down. So, if I had gone over, there is no doubt that I would have been long gone before anyone knew.

As for how it affected me, I did not get scared until afterwards and calmed down from being pissed. When it hit me I could not stop shacking for a couple of hours. From that day on, I made damn sure that NO ONE ever went on deck without having a Trustworthy lookout. I had more than one Captain bitch about it but I stood my ground and just told them that either someone was there or the winch did not get run!

Two this day (close to 15 years later) I still have the occasional nightmare.

Last month 2 guys went overboard from 2 different companies within 6 hours of each other. 1 made it and 1 didn’t. So that’s 50% Right there. As winter comes that percentage will drop.

[QUOTE=Tugboater203;172708]Last month 2 guys went overboard from 2 different companies within 6 hours of each other. 1 made it and 1 didn’t. So that’s 50% Right there. As winter comes that percentage will drop.[/QUOTE]

50/50 sounds about right based on my experience too. I know 6 people who have gone overboard. 3 are still here and 3 are not. Of the 3 who passed cold water was the main factor for 2 the other was injured during the fall. Of the 3 who made it only one was in cold water. I was one of the guys who made it. A bad step on my part landed me in the drink.

According to AWO stats, 1 in 3 don’t make it. They publish this info annually.

early in my career, the company I was working for had their hands in a lot of different things…one of them was booming ships/barges at berth or anchor. On one job, I de-boomed a ship and while I was stretching it out, an impatient ship assist tug decided to speed things up for me and wheel-washed it out of the way. This in turn made a bight of the boom get stuck underneath a dolphin. While I was rigging a line around the stuck part to pull out with the boat, I fell in. At this point the ship, tugs and linehandlers were all gone. These jobs were one man jobs. This boat/skiff had little freeboard, so luckily I was able to get myself back onboard. I was wearing a float coat, and the bouyancy of it helped a lot. I would have had to climb up a ladder at the dock and call the office if plan A failed. So, I’ve been a big fan of float coats ever since this personal experience…and I never did these jobs again unless it was a two man boat.

[QUOTE=Ctony;172722]early in my career, the company I was working for had their hands in a lot of different things…one of them was booming ships/barges at berth or anchor. On one job, I de-boomed a ship and while I was stretching it out, an impatient ship assist tug decided to speed things up for me and wheel-washed it out of the way. This in turn made a bight of the boom get stuck underneath a dolphin. While I was rigging a line around the stuck part to pull out with the boat, I fell in. At this point the ship, tugs and linehandlers were all gone. These jobs were one man jobs. This boat/skiff had little freeboard, so luckily I was able to get myself back onboard. I was wearing a float coat, and the bouyancy of it helped a lot. I would have had to climb up a ladder at the dock and call the office if plan A failed. So, I’ve been a big fan of float coats ever since this personal experience…and I never did these jobs again unless it was a two man boat.[/QUOTE]

I cannot remember seeing anyone going overboard from a tug. I have heard about a couple guys being lost. I have seen a couple guys go over climbing from the barge to the dock. They got out quickly.

I have seen several guys go over from fishing boats; they all survived.

For or a vessel underway, saving two out of three sounds about right to me. For a vessel alongside a dock, at least 9 out of 10 sound be saved.

Most tugs that I run have the winch controls (or at least the brake) on the 01 deck near the aft controls.

I know now of several guys that have gotten badly hurt in falls from the dock onto the boat or barge, and from falls while lashing cargo. Falling onboard appears to be more likely and worse than falling overboard.

My father fell into the space between the ship and the quay in winter. I don’t remember if he got up on his own or was helped, but luckily he only hurt his shoulder.

Around here, passengers fall from cruiseferries from time to time. Sometimes they are found, more often not.

When working on a ship in Cameroon a longshoreman fell into the river without wearing a lifejacket. He was never seen again. The undercurrents pulled him underwater as soon as he landed.