Military Training Approved?

Any update on if the NMC is going to start accepting training received while serving in the military? Im in the CG and pretty much meet RFPNW, AB, BST, Medical Provider, Fire Fighting. Its really a shame if the next 4 years will be useless for anything other than sea time.

[QUOTE=commtuna;62406]Any update on if the NMC is going to start accepting training received while serving in the military? Im in the CG and pretty much meet RFPNW, AB, BST, Medical Provider, Fire Fighting. Its really a shame if the next 4 years will be useless for anything other than sea time.[/QUOTE]

Why? Some people can not even get that. Wrong place to be saying something like this. I would expect a real beating for this post. Better you than me…

A beating for what? Oh wait I forgot, professional mariners hate the CG…

The NMC wil accept it when the coast guard gets their courses approved for it.

Review the Marine Safety Manual, chapter 2 I think. Be sure to submit a copy of your evals (all of them sequentially with no breaks for your entire service) and you may get credit for all kinds of stuff. Qual letters, signed pqs books, etc… will be helpful. I basically submitted a copy of everything in my service record and was given quite a bit. They really like OOD and EOOW letters. Just don’t expect anything and be pleasantly surprised if they give you credit for anything and you won’t be disappointed. And don’t expect NMC to tell you ahead of time what you might get credit for. The evaluation process will take quite a bit longer for this but I thought it was worth it. Good luck.

Thanks thats what I was expecting. I guess anything is possible but I wont plan on expecting much.

Do your homework.
As late at 2006 I know that NMC was accepting some or all of NAVY bootcamp for BST. I would assume the same for USCG Bootcamp - MAKE SOME CALLS
Yer AB and RFPNW may already be acceptable IAW a policy letter - I skipped all of my assessments as a result of the letter 11-04 maybe? I showed one year of sea time between 1986-1991, problem solved. For me anyway. MAKE SOME CALLS
Firefighting? Good luck with that - I had more NAVY FF schools than you could shake a stick at, even shared the trainers with Cutter crews. No joy, they don’t count unless EXPRESSLY MENTIONING THAT THEY DO.

Four years of PAID sea time will get you at least an AB unlimited. Considering the economy yer in HIGH COTTON, Shipmate - count yer blessings

Retired US NAVY BMC(SW) sends

[QUOTE=commtuna;62412]A beating for what? Oh wait I forgot, professional mariners hate the CG…[/QUOTE]

Settle down Beavis. You are working and a lot of guys are not/ can not.

I am a Professional Mariner and I don’t hate them. I still get a check from them.

[QUOTE=Jolly Tar;62447]Do your homework.
As late at 2006 I know that NMC was accepting some or all of NAVY bootcamp for BST. I would assume the same for USCG Bootcamp - MAKE SOME CALLS
Yer AB and RFPNW may already be acceptable IAW a policy letter - I skipped all of my assessments as a result of the letter 11-04 maybe? I showed one year of sea time between 1986-1991, problem solved. For me anyway. MAKE SOME CALLS
Firefighting? Good luck with that - I had more NAVY FF schools than you could shake a stick at, even shared the trainers with Cutter crews. No joy, they don’t count unless EXPRESSLY MENTIONING THAT THEY DO.

Four years of PAID sea time will get you at least an AB unlimited. Considering the economy yer in HIGH COTTON, Shipmate - count yer blessings

Retired US NAVY BMC(SW) sends[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the input. Theres an REC at my base so I’ll have to go in there and talk to them.

Just got my 200T master and my 2nd Eng tickets. The NMC would not take the Firefighting or the medical training we receive because it has not been evaluated and to my knowledge there is no plan for this to happen. I did not have to take BST Though because i have been able to show adequate sea time in a consecutive 5 year period for my 20+ year career. I got my RFPNW and My STCW because of various PQS and other items but still had to attend Advanced Firefighting and
medical.

Good Luck

MMCS