Military Sealift Command

They go wherever the USN ships go, Haiti and the Arabian Gulf are couple of examples.

Norfolk, VA
Leonardo, NJ
Mayport, FL

Rota, Spain
Augusta Bay, Italy
Naples, Italy
Suda Bay, Greece

Djibouti, Djibouti
Fujairah, UAE
Manama, Bahrain

[QUOTE=DeckApe;57025]Norfolk, VA
Leonardo, NJ
Mayport, FL

Rota, Spain
Augusta Bay, Italy
Naples, Italy
Suda Bay, Greece

Djibouti, Djibouti
Fujairah, UAE
Manama, Bahrain[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot for the information, if they select you for a position do they normally let you know by email or by the phone?

Hey all,

Martilyo checking back in again. I took the QMED electrician test in October and failed by 6 questions. I took it again yesterday and blew it out of the water. I do not know why that second test seemed so much easier. Anyway I am just waiting on MMD to come in the mail. I am working on my application to MSC and my KSA’s The last KSA is asking about SAMM and Shipclip. I have never heard of the computer programs even though I consider myself a computer geek. I assume they are some sort of MSC/Navy supply or maintenance program. Should I worry about not having the knowledge of those computer programs? Anyone have any suggestions about my application that I should be aware of? Should I include past Navy evals/awards? I am still worried about them looking down on me being out of the Navy for the last 9 years. I mean, I still know how to troubleshoot a motor controller and repair a 400HZ static converter or HPAC. Somethings you really don’t forget how to do, like troubleshooting. Any help and suggestions you guys could give me would be really appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Martilyo

As I am trying to get my application together so I can mail it out on Monday, I am currently working on my KSA’s Does anyone know how long each response should be? 1 page per KSA or 2? There really isn’t a specific amount that I can find, only mention is that each response should be on a separate page. I feel 1 page per KSA should be enough and 2 pages may be overkill. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Martilyo

[QUOTE=Martilyo;57907]As I am trying to get my application together so I can mail it out on Monday, I am currently working on my KSA’s Does anyone know how long each response should be? 1 page per KSA or 2? There really isn’t a specific amount that I can find, only mention is that each response should be on a separate page. I feel 1 page per KSA should be enough and 2 pages may be overkill. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Martilyo[/QUOTE]

From what I’m told KSAs should be about 10 pages for each question. They are going to put your package on a scale and weigh it and the people with the biggest packages are going to get hired. No bullshit! The people reading the KSAs may have never gone to sea in their lives or know anything about ships. They are only looking for key words and phrases from a combination of the job description and promotion announcement. Tell them you are an expert at computers and familiar with SAMMs and shipclip. These are maintenance and inventory programs…and now you are familiar with them! Work all your superfluous Navy shit (evals/awards) into the KSAs. I hope this helps!

While Kneel Before Zod’s reply might sound womewhat sarcastic, there is really a lot of truth to it. The office weenies looking over your paperwork are looking for keywords. All the evals and awards you have earned count so include them. Overwhelm them.

[QUOTE=Martilyo;57907]As I am trying to get my application together so I can mail it out on Monday, I am currently working on my KSA’s Does anyone know how long each response should be? 1 page per KSA or 2? There really isn’t a specific amount that I can find, only mention is that each response should be on a separate page. I feel 1 page per KSA should be enough and 2 pages may be overkill. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Martilyo[/QUOTE]

Answering six 2nd Officer KSAs on 3 1/2 pages, single spaced worked for me.

LOL, nice response! In other words, people can lie and get hired…LOL You bring up a good point, I guess it would be too much of a logistical nightmare to have someone from every job look at the applications. What are your thoughts of having an active duty Navy Commander and CW04 provide a letter of recommendation? I am friends with the O5 and I used to work for the CW04. I may be able to get a recommendation from a current MSC Master. Not sure all of that would matter, but I would like to think so. Thanks for the help, this is good information!

Martilyo

Sounds good! I have allotted a page per KSA so hopefully I will do just fine. Thanks for the help!

Martilyo

“Keyword office weenies…” what has this world come to? :slight_smile: Thanks for the response!

Martilyo

[QUOTE=Martilyo;57953]LOL, nice response! In other words, people can lie and get hired…LOL You bring up a good point, I guess it would be too much of a logistical nightmare to have someone from every job look at the applications. What are your thoughts of having an active duty Navy Commander and CW04 provide a letter of recommendation? I am friends with the O5 and I used to work for the CW04. I may be able to get a recommendation from a current MSC Master. Not sure all of that would matter, but I would like to think so. Thanks for the help, this is good information!

Martilyo[/QUOTE]

I don’t know about lying getting you hired but it will sure as shit get you promoted. It sounds like you are just the type of person the new MSC is looking for. Have at it with the recommendations!

The keyword search is only the first cut and gives you your initial ranking score. That list of names goes to a hiring authority who actually makes the selection. I don’t know how MSC does their hiring for sailing jobs bit theoretically that hiring authority conducts interviews where your lies would be found out.

Letters of recommendation won’t help you with the first cut. It is a simple checklist type review and everyone who meets the minimum standards gets ranked. Your letters can only help you with the hiring authority if you get that far.

Keyword search is only for shoreside jobs. Seagoing packages are reviewed one-by-one. A Captain (or Chief Mate) typically reviews the Deck department, a Chief Engineer (or First Assistant) reviews the Engine. The other billets are reviewed by a shoreside person that used to sail or is otherwise involved in setting the standards. Once reviewed, the personnel shop takes over and applies veteran’s preference and figures out how many people they want. This second part is where the “magic” happens.

The new law says there’s not a requirement to write KSA responses. Of course, if you don’t have anything to be reviewed, it’s tough to get hired. So write what you need…a lot guys don’t put enough in. There are some that put excessive fluff, but that is obvious. Yes, SAMM and ShipClip are maintenance and parts programs. Talk about what you did or know from the Navy or wherever you worked. Just remember, the people reviewing your application don’t know the name of the system you used. So explain what you did. Tell a story…if you had a broken whatchamacallit or were responsible for the maintenance on whozit, you probably used most of the KSA items in the process of doing that. Which probably means you got a good eval/fitrep or letter of recommendation for doing that. The guys that do well figure out how to tie all that into a set of paragraphs (although there are some that, no BS, actually have commas and exclamation points than they do words). Ironically, that is a KSA that tends to be on a lot of billets…the ability to communicate in writing.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;57981]The keyword search is only the first cut and gives you your initial ranking score. That list of names goes to a hiring authority who actually makes the selection. I don’t know how MSC does their hiring for sailing jobs bit theoretically that hiring authority conducts interviews where your lies would be found out.

Letters of recommendation won’t help you with the first cut. It is a simple checklist type review and everyone who meets the minimum standards gets ranked. Your letters can only help you with the hiring authority if you get that far.[/QUOTE]

There are no interviews

You can google SMM, ShipCLIP and KSA and you will get a lot of info. I’m sure that some of the first 2 would be somewhat similar to your Navy training. Even if you are not intimately familiar with it, you will have a general idea that will put you head and shoulders above everyone else. And, that wouldn’t be lying. The first thing on KSA that popped for me was a VA site. Looked pretty detailed for what you should need to know to be successful in the art of “gov’t speak”. Good luck.

[QUOTE=KneelbeforeZod!;57980]I don’t know about lying getting you hired but it will sure as shit get you promoted. It sounds like you are just the type of person the new MSC is looking for. Have at it with the recommendations![/QUOTE]

I was only kidding about the “lie” thus the LOL. I was trying to Google search Shipclip and SAMM last night and did not have very much luck. I was hoping to get a hold of a training manual, but no luck. I got my MMD card in the mail yesterday. Now I am anxious to get my application submitted. I heard it will take 6 months to get hired if I am accepted. Thanks for your help.

Mr. International 1973, I too applied Assistant Store Keeper. I was a former SU. They got my application Oct. 3rd and I am STILL Waiting for a Decision. Let me know if you get a call, will you?

[QUOTE=johnboy;58182]Mr. International 1973, I too applied Assistant Store Keeper. I was a former SU. They got my application Oct. 3rd and I am STILL Waiting for a Decision. Let me know if you get a call, will you?[/QUOTE]

hey @johnboy & @ Mr.International… i too applied for the Assistant Store Keeper position. they got my application on the 31st…i also got the letter saying ‘’ Thank you for your interest in seagoing employment with military sealift command. your application package for Announcement #12-852-01EX, ASS SK has been forwarded to Military sealift fleet support Command (MSFSC) Marine employment Division. please be advised no decisions have been made regarding selections at this time. hey if any of you guys get a call saying your hired let us know…hell all 3 of us might get that call on the same day and all of us would be meeting each other at NEO 2gether lol… but lets keep each other posted on our status win, lose, or draw.

Hey Mike23 (and International 1973,) Yea Let’s do that. stay in touch. If I get rehired then after the Orientation I would just go to the pool and await ship’s assignment since I already went to school last year in NJ for 4 weeks and have all my credentials and also am a Navy Vet. (Had to leave for Medical issue but that is all set now and was approved for rehire) Keep me posted if either one of you hear either way. They got my application Oct. 3rd (Monday) first day it was open. I really hope I hear this week, 8 weeks is long enough. I wonder how long other people had to wait before they heard? ANYONE?? I was originally suppose to be rehired back in Feb 2011 as an SU but then they froze or closed the position, the same week I was suppose to get the call for rehire. That was a real let down. Better not happen again. If I don’t get rehired this time (which would be a mistake) then I will have to give up on MSC and move on to something else. I LOVE going out to the wide open Sea!!!